Is The System Flawed?

a09

Here is a simple solution.

Let every bowler enter a state individual sectional and pay $12 to bowl 4 games. The top 24 from each section advances to the state tournament.

3 tournaments - Memphis, Nashville, and Chattanooga

Regional Directors pick the center and date.

You can still require the 2/3 rule or some minimum number of games to be eligible, but then a kid that does not think he/she has a chance will not bowl and they are all qualifying on an identical condition to decide who makes the Big Show.

Shoot holes in it!

Great Idea coach! I would totally stand behind this, however tssaa is going to bring up time constraints! Unless we decided to have districts completed before the Christmas break, which could allow for the extra time to have the singles sectional. I really like the idea of the kids bowling to get out of the their regions to make it to state singles. I believe this would give you stronger state tournament fields, then the state individuals could be contested solely on sport patterns.

Mike, I only would see tssaa and alot of coaches conflicted on the time to get this in before state.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great Idea coach! I would totally stand behind this, however tssaa is going to bring up time constraints! Unless we decided to have districts completed before the Christmas break, which could allow for the extra time to have the singles sectional. I really like the idea of the kids bowling to get out of the their regions to make it to state singles. I believe this would give you stronger state tournament fields, then the state individuals could be contested solely on sport patterns.

Mike, I only would see tssaa and alot of coaches conflicted on the time to get this in before state.

I am happy to see that there are actually intelligent coaches like you guys...This sounds like a great idea...can you all put it together in a proposal and present it to TSSAA? Just talking with some of the coaches in my area they would be willing to sign it

I still believe that each bowler needs to have the minimum 2/3 games. So how it sounds right now is that every bowler who wants to bowl in the individual sectionals would pay the $12 and bowl 4 games, so then how do you decide who goes to the next round at Smyrna?

It does seem that you would have to have district before christmas. well i hope you guys work it out...sounds like something great to see on the horizon

Here is a simple solution.

Let every bowler enter a state individual sectional and pay $12 to bowl 4 games. The top 24 from each section advances to the state tournament.

3 tournaments - Memphis, Nashville, and Chattanooga

Regional Directors pick the center and date.

You can still require the 2/3 rule or some minimum number of games to be eligible, but then a kid that does not think he/she has a chance will not bowl and they are all qualifying on an identical condition to decide who makes the Big Show.

Shoot holes in it!

Mike,

You definitely have an idea there, but let me ask a couple of questions. What about those kids from upper East TN?

They have to travel all the way to Chattanooga or Nashville just to have a chance to qualify? And unless your proposed sectional level is done on a sport shot, aren't there going to be cries of "home field advantage" just like Smyrna gets on the team-level now? Finally, I really like the majority qualifying for individual state based on an entire season's worth of scores, not just 4 games! Have a bad day that day, and you are out!

I really like an idea that combines our current system, but maybe adds on wild-cards in the form of top averages that haven't qualified, and/or a tournament for these bowlers, but not for all.

Hope I didn't shoot too many holes!! /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

TEAM STATE TOURNAMENT:

BOYS

2002 - Hendersonville

2003 - Hendersonville

2004 - Hendersonville

2005 - Smyrna

2006 - Smyrna

2007 - Hixson

2008 - Columbia Central

With this info, one would have to assume that it is somewhat of an advantage for teams from the Smyrna area. However, in my opinion, the only advantage they have is that they don't have to travel and stay at a hotel to attend the tournaments (which, in all honesty, is quite convenient). When it comes to the bowling aspect of the tournament, they don't have a better chance of rolling high scores than anyone else. Hixson proved it and so did Columbia Central. The most amazing memory I have about the state tournament was back in 2007, when Hixson was bowling against White Station in the semi-final. White Station hammered out a 3937 against Hixson! Hixson could have gone home that day complaining about some reason why they lost, but they refused to lose. They fired right back with a 3946 and won the match 16-11. That's what defines a champion... They didn't worry about house advantages, not that White Station had one in the first place. Their hearts were there to bowl, just like Smyrna in 05 and 06, Hendersonville in 02, 03, and 04, and Columbia Central last year.

INDIVIDUAL STATE TOURNAMENT:

CRITERIA:

1) Bowler must have bowled in at least 2/3 of the total games in the regular season.

2) The top 3 averages in each district (who meet rule 1) will be allowed into the tournament.

3) The remaining 16 spots will go to the residual bowlers in the state (who meet rule 1) with the highest 16 averages.

Who thinks this would work better? It would represent the top bowlers from each district while still being fair to others who weren't top in the district but still had a high average.

I totally agree with Scott.

My reasoning for the sectional is to get the top bowlers to the tournament. We have had strong bowlers from various schools unable to compete due to the local competition being so strong in their district. If the top 24 from each region advance, then the bad day criteria is a pretty weak argument. Limit participation to the top 25% from each district in the regional.

Or have a rabbit squad type event each year. Take the top 3 from each district like it is now and have a tournament the weekend before to set the other 16 or so spots. There needs to be an additional competition, not just the highest averages or else you are rewarding kids that bowl in the easiest centers again.

The competition in East Tennessee could rotate between Knoxville and Chattanooga and also in Middle Tn we could use Nashville, Columbia, Clarksville or whatever city has an interest. That is where the regional director would come in. I just think when bowlers like Chris Gillis and Jake Flatt and Cody Cloud from Lawrence County miss the tournament, it pales the title a little bit. JMO

Good luck to everybody bowling tomorrow!

My reasoning for the sectional is to get the top bowlers to the tournament. We have had strong bowlers from various schools unable to compete due to the local competition being so strong in their district. If the top 24 from each region advance, then the bad day criteria is a pretty weak argument. Limit participation to the top 25% from each district in the regional.

Or have a rabbit squad type event each year. Take the top 3 from each district like it is now and have a tournament the weekend before to set the other 16 or so spots. There needs to be an additional competition, not just the highest averages or else you are rewarding kids that bowl in the easiest centers again.

The competition in East Tennessee could rotate between Knoxville and Chattanooga and also in Middle Tn we could use Nashville, Columbia, Clarksville or whatever city has an interest. That is where the regional director would come in. I just think when bowlers like Chris Gillis and Jake Flatt and Cody Cloud from Lawrence County miss the tournament, it pales the title a little bit. JMO

Good luck to everybody bowling tomorrow!

Everyone, I can see taking top 3 averages from district or region, this change would bring number of qualifiers to 108. Then you could have the regionals or sectionals in three locations as mentioned earlier, with 14 spots added to the state field (7 boy & 7 girl) per sectional. This would bring us to using 50 of 52 lanes. The system is not flawed, it was just all they had to make it work for everyone around the state at conception of the single's side. I believe we see it could need a overhaul now. The point of State championship tournament is to bring best bowlers from state together to bowl for state title, if we are leaving out some of our best, it could be time to change the format. If the change is going to be made we need to get formal paperwork to tssaa to even see if it would be considered, I think it would be something a majority of schools would have to be behind to get it changed. Even with this change there would be no change to what tssaa has to do, to prepare for state.

Everyone, I can see taking top 3 averages from district or region, this change would bring number of qualifiers to 108. Then you could have the regionals or sectionals in three locations as mentioned earlier, with 14 spots added to the state field (7 boy & 7 girl) per sectional. This would bring us to using 50 of 52 lanes. The system is not flawed, it was just all they had to make it work for everyone around the state at conception of the single's side. I believe we see it could need a overhaul now. The point of State championship tournament is to bring best bowlers from state together to bowl for state title, if we are leaving out some of our best, it could be time to change the format. If the change is going to be made we need to get formal paperwork to tssaa to even see if it would be considered, I think it would be something a majority of schools would have to be behind to get it changed. Even with this change there would be no change to what tssaa has to do, to prepare for state.

I totally agree with coach Ransom on this one. Obviously being in college now has made me think a little more about the high school tournament and i have compared them to the collegiate tournaments i have been to over the last 3 years. Every year there is the Intercollegiate Singles Championship and in order to qualify for this tournament you must place in the top 4 at the sectional in which your bowling. This format has seemed to work exceptionally well and has proved to be the answer to the problem. I feel that the TSSAA should extend the season only by a weekend and let the singles qualifying round be done on a weekend. Granted I understand the bowling centers around the area may not be too leniant on the idea but if it is approached in the right direction with each proprietor, I believe there can be an agreement reached to make the singles portion of the tournament more fair to everyone involved. Also with High School bowling becoming the foundation for collegiate bowling, I believe that the qualifying should be done on a sport shot. Yes some kids do not see sport shots at all, but the sport of bowling is turning to these tougher shots i.e. PBA experience leagues, Jr. Gold, USBC Collegiate. There should be just one set pattern that each bowling center will put out for qualifying so everyone is on the same page. Just my thoughts on the whole situation. Sitting at school being bored out of your mind will do this to you /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Good Luck to all... GO SMYRNA!!!!!!!

Kyle Barnes Pikeville College

Thanks, Kyle. The only problem with the qualifying on sport is our season is on house conditions. The players that bowl on sport conditions have a little bit of an advantage and some of the centers that host HS teams do not support them with decent house conditions much less putting out a sport shot for practice purposes. If a kid can make the top 24 in his qualifying tournament, then he/she probably represents the best bowlers from that area. There may be an individual or two who under-perform, but the majority of the kids capable of winning the singles will survive a top 24 qualifying format.

JMO and I will have a proposal to this effect at the tournament next week for any coaches that support it to sign.

Good Luck to all of this year's qualifying athletes!!