To win or not to win?

asiatic2412

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not post often but find the info here to be great. I have younger wrestlers and am becoming more and more familiar with the sport so I am looking for opinions from those who have more "stick time" in the sport.

I thought about this thread yesterday when I saw a certain wrestler get unsportsman calls in two matches for illegal slams. (this kid is about 14 I would say).

He seems to be a strong enough wrestler to win without the unecessary roughness or unsportsman calls I was seeing him get. At his age, I must believe that his coach is responsible for the aggressive style because I noticed that many of his teammates wrestled similarly.

So, when a kid like this slams his opponent and obviously knows that he shouldnt, is the right thing to do to ask the slammed wrestler to continue at that point? If he is hurt bad, no question, but if he is temporarily hurt (if that makes sense) should he feel compelled to continue because he is taking the high road? Is there a point where it is prudent for other coaches or wrestlers to teach a lesson to the kid whose coach has allowed him to become that type of wrestler?

Thoughts?

I'm sorry, I had to ask the question. I wanted to watch some rasslin and went to see the region 7 matches at Glencliff(was close to the house). Was watching Antioch v. Hunters Lane, i don't quite remember the weight class, but the Antioch wrestler shoots a double leg and is about to take down the Hunters Lane wrestler. Not sure how it happened but Hunters Lane fell out of Antioch's hands and rolled over his own shoulder. The ref called an illegal slam. Now this is where it got interesting. Hunters Lane coach told his wrestler to not get up. As I was watching, the coach asked the ref if he would get the points if his wrestler could not continue. It was funny cause teammates were telling him not to wrestle, parents in the stands said he would get 6 if he couldn't go on, and before injury time was up, the wrestler told his coach that he could not go. Understandable if he could not go, but immediately after the match, the young man was jumping around cheering on his teammates. I could see Antioch's coach was upset, and of course the match came down to the six points that were awarded for the default. Is this a way to win? Of course in the final match against Glencliff, the injured wrestler goes out and gets a win by pinfall. Wow! Best of luck to both teams, in my opinion, Antioch got jobbed by Hunters Lane coach. I am one for sportsmanship, win it on the mat. A wrestler battles. That is what makes them the athletes they are. Best of luck to the region 7 reps as they move on.

i agree,last night substate at greenback,our wrestler took down elizabethton wrestler a little hard, he took the two minutes looked at his coach and said i'm fine, the coach told him to take a knee. the wrestler struggled with the decision the coach made told them he couldnt continue the wrestler left the mat went to the locker room looked to be upset with the decision THE COACH MADE! its a rough sport full contact the kids know this,dont teach them to be a coward.Let the mat determine who wins.

i agree,last night substate at greenback,our wrestler took down elizabethton wrestler a little hard, he took the two minutes looked at his coach and said i'm fine, the coach told him to take a knee. the wrestler struggled with the decision the coach made told them he couldnt continue the wrestler left the mat went to the locker room looked to be upset with the decision THE COACH MADE! its a rough sport full contact the kids know this,dont teach them to be a coward.Let the mat determine who wins.

Coward indicates a lack of courage to do something. This does not sound like that. If this story is true it teaches using the rules improperly to win. But not a coward. I think it could be called cheating, in that the intent of the rule is that a wrestler could not continue.

Coward indicates a lack of courage to do something. This does not sound like that. If this story is true it teaches using the rules improperly to win. But not a coward. I think it could be called cheating, in that the intent of the rule is that a wrestler could not continue.

yes you are probably right, just like everting else we teach our youth take the easy way out.

I sympathize with the wrestler, because i was in a similar situation when I was wrestling. I was in a tournament and I was down and the guy on top chopped my arm against the bend of my elbow and I got a point and recovery time. I wanted to continue because I didn't feel hurt, just mad. But the difference between my situation is that my coach let me wrestle.

Sometimes it's good for the team if the wrestler stays down and wins, but the cost of doing so is great.