2008-2009 Burks Middle Panthers

panther14

Well I have to give a shout out to these boys on the mountain. This group of 8th graders have been playing together since Jr. Pro Training League in Monterey, and it has really paid off. Their record of 15-3 is the BEST in their school's history. They went to the James C. Haile and finished overall 5th place in the state. Now that's really saying something for Monterey Basketball. 4 years ago this bunch began their Jr. Varsity play as 5th graders under Coach Hoover. I've watched them grow physically and talent/skill wise as well. Starters of Mochow, Bohannon, Floyd, Blaylock, and Jones, were a sight to see this year, they got after it each night and played into Hoover's swarming run-n-jump defense. Their point guard, Logan Jones became the ALL-time scoring leader earlier this year, too. The also, won their hosted "Shootout" this year and took 1st place before Christmas.

Next year, God willing, and they get a couple of others boys from Wilson Elementary, one transferred there just before season started, and another potential player came back after Christmas who did not get to join the team but has a lot of potential and scored A LOT in 2007, MHS will really have a GREAT group of Freshman to fill the void of their seniors that are taking the high road. Coach West is grinning from ear to ear on this bunch, his needs are really being met in this class. They are young men and are proven winners in the court and off, SO REACH for the STARS boys, the sky is the limit. And hopefully we'll see you guys going back to the 'Boro, except this time on the floor of Murphy Center!!!!!!

/smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> : ) /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Let's just hope that history doesn't repeat itself. I think it was 2001 and also when the current group of seniors were in 8th grade that there was a similar record for the Panthers. Both teams had a huge group of talented players but when they reached high school, it only went down hill. Coaching staff at the high school level for Monterey basketball has been the problem for the past 6 or 7 years, not athletic ability. There have been several teams in the past few years that could have competed with just about anyone, just no one to show them how. With the coaching change to West this past year, we're showing a few improvements but nothing worth being proud of yet. A couple of rebuilding years could be in the near future but once this 8th grade class gets some experience, they should be tough to handle....or at least we can hope....Maybe if that doesn't work, we'll just bring Hoover to the high school level!!!!!

Maybe if that doesn't work, we'll just bring Hoover to the high school level!!!!!

You never know, BUT, let's glve Batman at least a few years.

Hoover for President (after Obama)

/smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />/smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />/smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Well just a little update on one of those 8th graders: Logan Jones was named to the James C. Haile ALL-State Tournament team!! the FIRST EVER Burks Middle School Panther to win a post-season award!!! Congrats to Logan!!!