Haywood over USJ-Freshman big night

utfan3

AA schools are just too much for USJ which is no surprise. USJ hangs around until about 3 quarter. USJ Freshman John Ross Glover comes off the bench and scores over 30 mostly under the basket. EJ Miller had over 20. Haywood could score on the drive pretty much at will. Good job done by USJ's --Will, Grant, Austin, Colton, Grady and Danny. Run and gun is the name of the game.

AA schools are just too much for USJ which is no surprise. USJ hangs around until about 3 quarter. USJ Freshman John Ross Glover comes off the bench and scores over 30 mostly under the basket. EJ Miller had over 20. Haywood could score on the drive pretty much at will. Good job done by USJ's --Will, Grant, Austin, Colton, Grady and Danny. Run and gun is the name of the game.

Key words in that paragraph are "comes off the bench". WHY? What's the kid have to do? You lose valuable minutes at the beginning of the game because you are deteremined not to start the kid......then you pull him out at the end of the 3rd and sacrifice the first four minutes of the 4th? Meanwhile...without being ugly, there are several that do not come out EVER unless they are too tired to stand up.....not producing while in? Miller and Glover should never come out except for the occasional breather.

Congrats to John Ross.....35 I think in under 3 quarters. If I remember correctly.....(1) three and the rest were inside and free throws. That was there ALL night and was obvious (if only to me) he found a nitch. Keep your head up, it will all come out in the wash.

Not trying to bring up the whole coaching issue again, because I have made it clear about how much I respect TR as a coach and a man......but this whole situation puzzles me?

Murphy

I agreetotally with you. I to have much respect for Tommy Russell but there have been several games that USJ was still in "it" and the subing was crazy I thought. Well maybe next year.

There always seems to be some point trying to be proven......I'm just missing it.

In today's game.......a 10-15 point deficit at the beginning of the 4th is not too much to overcome!

Especially if you have shooters......and letting them shoot!

JMO

Again USJ lost to Covington. They just bring the ball down and pass it around until they loose it. Except for John Ross and EJ no one would take a shot. We would not contest the 3pt shooters at all. They looked especially bad in this loss. I think they are better than they looked but they looked as they did not care. I guess they are just ready for it to be over as I am.

Afraid to shoot. Ball Control-Ball Control-Ball Control!!!!!! Again lack of ball control led to 20+ pts for Covington. I am not saying that USJ could have won but Ball Control and fear of shooting once again makes for a boring game. A team cannot depend on 2 players to score 60-70% of USJ scoring.

Afraid to shoot. Ball Control-Ball Control-Ball Control!!!!!! Again lack of ball control led to 20+ pts for Covington. I am not saying that USJ could have won but Ball Control and fear of shooting once again makes for a boring game. A team cannot depend on 2 players to score 60-70% of USJ scoring.

I would not say that it is "boring" to watch.........The word "painful" comes to mind instead.

Would be interesting to know, other than these two, how many double digit scoring nights have been put up by anyone else. I can only think of a couple. Got to get that first name in the box score!

If I was the lone Senior and could shoot like he can, I would be putting up 20 shots a night! I would think I deserved that. Do this and watch everybody else's numbers go up. I could guard this offense with only two quality players knowing that I just needed to outscore these two.

It can't be over soon enough!

This has been the theme for USJ's boys HS basketball program for many years. I respect TR too, but USJ made a big mistake in not retaining Coach North. IMHO only.

Again USJ lost to Covington. They just bring the ball down and pass it around until they loose it. Except for John Ross and EJ no one would take a shot. We would not contest the 3pt shooters at all. They looked especially bad in this loss. I think they are better than they looked but they looked as they did not care. I guess they are just ready for it to be over as I am.

Ironically....I don't think the lack of shooting is the kid's fault. They are just doing what they are told.

You can tell by reaction sometimes that the only two scoring are probably the only two not doing what they are told.

That offense is designed to get the little handoff to the basket or the back door layup on the cut. Honestly....it happens about once or twice a game...no more. They are going to run it until it does, or there's a turnover or until someone disregards the fear of getting pulled and throws up a shot. Then we'll drop back and play man defense against teams that are twice as quick.

JMO