TSSAA OFFICIALS

BEARCLAW

/popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" /> Whew! Thank goodness you aren't an official, but if you were I'll bet you would be overpaid! Ha! Ha! I have no sore spots, so nice try. Answer me a question Dick. My original post was aimed at consistently poorly performing officials....... not the young ones, middle aged ones, nor the "experienced" ones. I have expressed my appreciation to those officials who are doing what they can to make things work like they should. Put on your reading glasses and start reading from the beginning of this thread. Now, the question. You have 20 seconds to answer and get the prize...... Do you not agree that an official who CONSISTENTLY makes bad/questionable calls, one a large group of coaches agree is performing poorly (notice I said large group...not one or two) should be disciplined, reschooled, removed, whatever for the sake of safe play, fairness, and keeping things on a level playing field? Now, before you answer, read what I asked closely. I'm not saying ALL officials, nor even those I just plain old don't like. I'm asking about those who are consistently bad. What's your answer Dickey? /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Bearclaw,

I know you didn't ask me, but yes, something should be done to remedy that situation....and it is about the kids playing - not the refs, coaches, parents, or fans - but some from each group should face some of the blame for the problems....As adults we should all check our ego at the door and act in a sane and mature way, even in heated contests - we all fail at that from time to time.... /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

/rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> I've watched high school basketball in Morristown, Rutledge, Cocke Co, Sevier Co, Claiborne Co, Cumberland Gap, and most of the schools that existed before some of these were formed. I've seen basketball come from 6 ladies on the court and men who played with diginity and sportsmanship. I've also seen some really good officials in all these years, but have seen quite a change in them as well. Bob Pratt, Wimp McDaniel, Roy Noe, Lon Thornton just to name a few were all characters in their day. I always enjoyed watching them and interacting with them at the games when I was in high school and later on before they retired. Thanks guys. Back then it only took 2 officials to get the game underway and finished. Now we have 3 officials on the floor, unless one doesn't show up, and things have changed. What we usually see now is 2 good, or fairly good, officials and one who needs to go back to Upward Basketball. Everyone is going to miss calls from time to time, and we all expect that. But, when one official constantly makes bad calls, and often between the same two teams, and makes them one way, respect for the "Men In Stipes" begins to wane. I want to say up front a big THANK YOU to all you officials who get out there, care for the kids, do a little coaching for both teams on the floor when necessary, and in general keep things moving along as it should. You guys have a tough job without that "third leg" tripping you up. How about it TSSAA, can we get rid of all these "third legs" so things can get a little better for all the other officials. I'm not advocating going back to 2 officials, but getting a little more strict on these guys who wear the "stripes" and spend the game flirting with the lady players, cheerleaders, and ladies in the crowd. Think I'm making it up? Get out and watch what some of these clowns are doing! I don't mean to make life difficult for all of you.....just the opposite. I appreciate what most of you are doing. But let's get rid of all these "third legs" that are taking much of the fun and sport out of a wonderful game. Come on coaches and athletic directors! If all of you will start making the call on some of these Upward guys that somehow made it to high school ball, then maybe things would improve. Just my thinking. Again, thanks to all you "Men In Stripes" who are still making a difference. I salute you!

Bearclaw I have to hand it to you......You have taken a lukewarm slam on the refs and have managed to get 13 pages of posts. Impressive /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> And With no end in sight.

Bearclaw,

I know you didn't ask me, but yes, something should be done to remedy that situation....and it is about the kids playing - not the refs, coaches, parents, or fans - but some from each group should face some of the blame for the problems....As adults we should all check our ego at the door and act in a sane and mature way, even in heated contests - we all fail at that from time to time.... /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

/popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" /> Well, there you go ernieg.......putting your two cents in where it wasn't invited. I just hate it when someone does that and is exactly right on the money! I don't think it could have been said better. Everything about the "night" should be "about" the kids. Maybe if things WERE more like you've posted we would see a great improvement in our young athletes on the court AND OFF. Doggone it ernieg, we had a good argument going, and you come along with your post and just slam the door. Guess it was about time. Good words, good advice. Thanks for ending things . /hungry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":hungry:" border="0" alt="hungry.gif" /> Now, I can go on to the hospitality rooms for the remainder of the tournament games and enjoy the food. Hope you get a platefull yourself! /hungry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":hungry:" border="0" alt="hungry.gif" />

I went to Springhill to watch a Johnson kid from Marshall Co. that I heard was being looked at by TN. I've seen a lot of basketball games, but this game stuck out as one of the best this year. I did notice that the officials did talk to people before the game. One I don't know who he was talking to or about, but the other I found out was talking about trying to get another recruiting system set up in South Central TN. They are not always just gossiping. By the way, they did a great job. I want to commend the teams, coaches, Springhill High School, and 99 percent of the fans. The players played hard and well. The coaches coached hard and well. The administration seemed to handle everything from moving vehicles to selling popcorn. The fans cheered for their teams in a very positive manner. It was an atmosphere that epitomized high school athletics. I thought there was only one glich in the whole night, one lady that decided to blame the refs when the realization of Marshall Co. losing hit home. Other than that, to all the people that make up Dist. 10AA; Thank You.