Which Club has the most girls playing in college?-Updated

h2odog

Montreat

2008/2009 record 4-11-2

Wow! I really would love to hear more words of soccer wisdom from a "college coach" that has such a stellar program.

Are they that new Division IV level of the NCAA?

I would be careful about claiming to be a college coach with a lack of credentials.

That's like me claiming to be 155 pounds (I was at age 20)

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just looking at the list I am making a prediction. Most will respond and not know the facts that lead to this prediction, but just remember where it was said.

The players going to big schools will NOT be productive or see time. Nothing personal against the young ladies, but Porter and Rix are NOT SEC quality players. They would do fine at smaller schools but NOT in the SEC. Glad they got the chance. Even if healthy won't be a productive in Div. 1 and it's not their fault.

I know nothing of the others and they may do fine. Myself being a college coach and other colleagues of mine see this all the time. They are roster fillers for the D1 schools.

I wish them the best.

What were you thinking? Perhaps you were not! /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

Your post would have created creative discussion without naming players. If you know these girls and their skills personally, you should be proud. If you don't, you shouldn't comment. You have a right to your opinion, of course, but player bashing has no place here. Your are insulting a lot of folks with no purpose but "sour grapes". The players, high school coaches, club coaches, college coaches who picked them and many of us parents who have kids in the game find your comments way out of line. Who do you think is reading this site? OR, do you really care. Why don't you delete these negative comments if you are really part of the soccer world and not just a disgruntled parent. You certainly don't speak as a coach I would want my daughter to play for.

As for D1, how many can Lee University beat. Would you want to play for the D1 team with the worst record in the country or the National Champs. You're giving D1 too much credit. At last count we had over 50 TN girls playing in college and many more not on the list.

D1, D2, D3, NAIA, Intramurals, etc. Congratulations to them all and who cares? It's all about them.

"Even if healthy won't be a productive in Div. 1 and it's not their fault." quote from mustcoach. What in the heck does that mean? I would take it to mean that you are blaming coaching, either in club or HS. Does that mean you are the only qualified coach for college-bound girls? If my source is correct, you only coached one season of girls that were in D1 state league. There are several girls in D2 that will eventually play Div 1 college, and there will be D1 girls that choose to play other than Div 1 college ball. Ability is only one of the determining factors. I doubt that you saw much if any club soccer that either of these two fine ladies played. Throughout their club ball they were playing in D1 and you, for the most part were at D2 tournaments. This is not to demean D2, just that you were in different places while these girls were playing. It is probably the exception that a true freshman will contribute much during their first year or two of Div 1 college ball, but it would not surprise me that these two girls will sooner or later see considerable playing time. With comment that are so far off base as yours, I'm doubtful that you have very many coaching colleagues.

Just looking at the list I am making a prediction. Most will respond and not know the facts that lead to this prediction, but just remember where it was said.

The players going to big schools will NOT be productive or see time. Nothing personal against the young ladies, but Porter and Rix are NOT SEC quality players. They would do fine at smaller schools but NOT in the SEC. Glad they got the chance. Even if healthy won't be a productive in Div. 1 and it's not their fault.

I know nothing of the others and they may do fine. Myself being a college coach and other colleagues of mine see this all the time. They are roster fillers for the D1 schools.

I wish them the best.

Many others have already responded with most I would want to say. I'll add this. Not everbody goes to college with the same goals, desires, etc. For a player of a certain ability, they have many choices that might range from (a) riding the bench at a top program, (B) ocassional playing time at a mid-level program, © and solid playing time at a lower-level program.... (you get the idea). Since 98%+ of all women's soccer players in college will not play professionally after college, how and who and where they choose to play might have nothing to do with playing time, and everything to do with the school, it's academic programs, etc. There will always be players whose actual performance in college far exceeds their initial scouting report, and those that disappoint.

Good luck to all the Tennessee players in their school choices. I hope they find what they are looking for when the picked that particular school. If they don't find it, I hope they switch programs, and find it elsewhere.

Many others have already responded with most I would want to say. I'll add this. Not everbody goes to college with the same goals, desires, etc. For a player of a certain ability, they have many choices that might range from (a) riding the bench at a top program, (/cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" /> ocassional playing time at a mid-level program, ?© and solid playing time at a lower-level program.... (you get the idea). Since 98%+ of all women's soccer players in college will not play professionally after college, how and who and where they choose to play might have nothing to do with playing time, and everything to do with the school, it's academic programs, etc. There will always be players whose actual performance in college far exceeds their initial scouting report, and those that disappoint.

Good luck to all the Tennessee players in their school choices. I hope they find what they are looking for when the picked that particular school. If they don't find it, I hope they switch programs, and find it elsewhere.

yeah, kind of like coaching....I guess. You could get a head coach job at a NAIA or Div III school, or you may get a assistant coach job at a Div II school and eventually work your way into to a head coach position OR you could recruit for a Div I school and then get an assistant's job and may, just maybe one day become a head coach. I guess it all depends on what type of school you want to be at...wouldn't you say so?

Many others have already responded with most I would want to say. I'll add this. Not everbody goes to college with the same goals, desires, etc. For a player of a certain ability, they have many choices that might range from (a) riding the bench at a top program, (/cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" /> ocassional playing time at a mid-level program, ?© and solid playing time at a lower-level program.... (you get the idea). Since 98%+ of all women's soccer players in college will not play professionally after college, how and who and where they choose to play might have nothing to do with playing time, and everything to do with the school, it's academic programs, etc. There will always be players whose actual performance in college far exceeds their initial scouting report, and those that disappoint.

You know, I feel the same way and it's about the college experience and education, but when I read the attack, I didn't practice the golden rule of thinking before posting. The fact that a major SEC, Division 1 college wants to give you incentives to get your education is wonderful, if that is where you want to go. If along the way you get some playing time in the sport you love and maybe even be real good at it, well that's really the icing on top. IT IS ABOUT THE EDUCATION. As you said, they are not there to move to the pros. It ain't football or B-ball.

yeah, kind of like coaching....I guess. You could get a head coach job at a NAIA or Div III school, or you may get a assistant coach job at a Div II school and eventually work your way into to a head coach position OR you could recruit for a Div I school and then get an assistant's job and may, just maybe one day become a head coach. I guess it all depends on what type of school you want to be at...wouldn't you say so?

Yes, and no. I can agree with your basic connection between the two, but the big difference I see is that for coaching, it is a profession, rather than just a 4 or 5 year journey. Many coaches would want to reach to the highest level they could, though I would imagine for them, family considerations may become a factor down the road. Also, look those of us in the business world, there is a value to having a job you enjoy (and not being just about the money).

Yes, and no. I can agree with your basic connection between the two, but the big difference I see is that for coaching, it is a profession, rather than just a 4 or 5 year journey. Many coaches would want to reach to the highest level they could, though I would imagine for them, family considerations may become a factor down the road. Also, look those of us in the business world, there is a value to having a job you enjoy (and not being just about the money).

you may wanna re-read that. There were two hidden points in that passage Don.

Alot of you are missing the point as usual.

I am extremely happy that they made it. There is NO personal attack going on here as everyone would like to think.

Most of you get on here and really don't understand what goes on behind the scenes but like to think you do. I didn't know all of the other stuff that goes on until I started questioning it to my friends and peers.

Alot of BIG D1 athletic directors have MANDATED that rosters be over 25 to 30/40. Why? D1 schools only have 14 and some change in scholarlships to divide among 25+ players.

So what does this mean?

It means there are only 12-14 that willl see any real time and they have the largest percentage of athletic money given to them. The other players are basically supporting the program because parente are writing the check to make up for what gov't money, state and federal, loans, academic money and athletic money didn't.

So if it's $35,000 a year for an out of state student to attend then that player may get $20,000 once it's all said an done. That leaves parents to pay $15,000 now times that by 10 players whose parents are doing that and I bet that is a low number. That is $150,000 to run the program on considering soccer is a non-revenue generating sport meaning it typically does not make enough to cover its expenses. Now the athletic department adds to that amount but that $150,000 it doesn't have to give them.

There is my point! Not that the young ladies aren't talented. Not that they aren't able to contribute...but that it is a money game in these econiomic times and will always be.

I agree with DonCChatt that all players choose schools for different reasons. But understand there are underlying reason why college coaches offer what they do and to whom. Of course it's flattering to be wanted by an SEC school, big program. But it isn't always for the reasons we believe them to be. But to be going and making soccer your life at a D1 school, not playing, in most cases, and mom and dad writing the check is hard to justify. How many young ladies do this every year and then end up burned out when it isn't like they thought. They sweat, they bleed, they do everything asked and they DON'T PLAY! Someone with more scholarship money will play over them because the coach has staked his job on that player at the D1 level. That is what was meant by the "it's not their fault" line.

Have you never just looked at a player and heard where they were going and thought "wow, I didn't think they were that calibur." Or just the opposite, the very talented player who went where you thought, but didn't play.

People...wake up. Things that make you go....Uhhmmmm!

Please understand...these ladies are very talented and I have seen them play. But I think they could get a great education somewhere, have the same great experience and be a vital contributor to their team and for less money. If they want what they have...more power to them and I wish them all the success in the world.

I am not the only coach that sees this everyday, but may be the only one that states the fact. People, these are the facts and choosing to not believe them doesn't make it any less of a fact.

It's a money game no matter what sport but in the non-revenue sports even more so.

Oh and I knew everyone knew this...LSU's roster went from 21 in 2008 to now 27 and Alabamas went from 27 to 30. Oh and they haven't named all of their signees as of today. There are more coming. Things that make you go....Uhhmmmmm?

Your stay will likely be short.

In your kingdom, perhaps 5-10 extra students tuition might make a difference, but when your attending a school where the student body exceeds 25,000-30,000, your opinion seems to get lost in the figures.

There are likely lot of reasons coaches at smaller struggling programs like yours try to reason with talented players that they shouldn't look into the light. Deciding what school a high school student will select for college is the biggest decision many of them may make in their lives.

Don't let YOUR goals get in the way of their journey.