portland panther baseball 2009

seymourbutts1

It looks as if you guys need to go ahead a book your rooms for the spring fling. About the new coach, why did he get fired from his old school ? (I would think if you where that good you wouldn't get fired. It's tough to lose your job in the education sysyem) Most of his wins came when he was coaching a week A region, and couldn't win in a weak AA district. Look back as see how many state championship have been won in his new district since the late 1990's up until now. I am still wondering why he didn't reschedule a district game last year ??? The only thing he has going for him this year is that the district is down. Good Luck

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks as if you guys need to go ahead a book your rooms for the spring fling. About the new coach, why did he get fired from his old school ? (I would think if you where that good you wouldn't get fired. It's tough to lose your job in the education sysyem) Most of his wins came when he was coaching a week A region, and couldn't win in a weak AA district. Look back as see how many state championship have been won in his new district since the late 1990's up until now. I am still wondering why he didn't reschedule a district game last year ??? The only thing he has going for him this year is that the district is down. Good Luck

im not overconfident. i said the team would be improved and i think coach parker will get the program turned in the right direction. in no way did i say they would make a state tournament apperance. look at the district 8aa thread i predicted ptown to be third which is a projected improvement from an 0-10 team in the district. i like them to be much more COMPETITIVE not a state tournament. but coach parker is getting these kids fired up and his plan is to go to state. not at all is that what im saying but yeah ptown is getting more confidence and that is nothing to be criticized over.

portland had their first scrimmage tonight vs. trousdale co. the won 12-0. i know this tc didnt have three starters but phs really played well. i actually enjoyed playing tonight! everybody was bouncing around but in no way is the team satisfied but we have been through alot in my 4 years and winning has not happened alot and it felt great! but in no way are they cocky after a scrimmage. tc was not at their best they are young team w/o some key players. they play tuesday night at home vs. a good macon co team. then play east robertson. opening day is vs. beech and we better be ready!

My guess, which is a pretty sound guess, is that he did not play the right kids at the private school and money talks in that environment. JP gives kids ample chances to prove themselves and did in this case. Numbers don't lie, and if kids can't produce, or play the way he expects them to by doing his way, kids playing time will dwindle. Happened in this case and cost him his job. Why would they want him to stay on as a football coach and math teacher, but not as the head baseball coach if he beat the likes of Science Hill? Not really sure, but makes sense though if the above statement is true.

so what you are saying is that when he was winning in a weak A district he didn't play the kids with money and when he was losing in a weak AA he was. sounds like a excuse...it happens everyday right...that is why Goodpasture, DCA and BGA just to name a few struggle. If you don't think money and politics can get your kid on the field at a non private school your head is in the sand. And as you said this coach did do this in the past so what makes you think these questionable ethics won't happen again ?

I don't think I said he played them in the past. I said he gave them ample chances to prove themselves. Unfortantly in this case, he had younger kids that could produce, and older ones that could not and made a change, which may have cost him his job. No excuse. Just facts. I also know it can happen at the public schools as well, but not as much. I see parents trying to do it to me every day. Good coaches don't allow this to happen. That is why you see so many kids transfering to other schools so much now, if the administration stands behind their coaches. It is also why you see coaches not stay at places as long now days as the did in the past. Where is the loyalty to the coaches? I see kids leaving us every year because of this very reason. It really doesn't matter that he was winning in a weak single A district. You can't blame him for that, they were winning. If you saw where he brought the BBS program from, you would appreciate what he did for that school. Most people do, some don't, which is ashame. As a BBS alum, I was very disappointed that we let a great Christian man go because of the obvious reasons. I would have loved for my son to play for him. It is extremely hard to get quality Christian men to teach and coach in a Christian school because they can't compare to public school pay. When you have one that had dedicated his teaching and coaching career to that, and be hit between the eyes, but expected to stay there to coach football and teach, it is a hard pill to swallow. Another thing, never question Parker's ethics. He is as fair and honest of a person you will ever meet and will give every kid the opportunity to prove himself. If the kid can't perform, he is not afraid to make changes. Also, make sure you know the man before you make a comment about his ethics. He is one of the greatest Christian men I know. Favoritism or playing certain kids because of their status will not happen. They will have to prove themselves worthy to be on the field. Portland is headed in the right direction. Let's give Coach Parker a chance before you start questioning him. The wins will come, maybe sooner than later, but what kind of work ethic and character is going to instill in these young men. That is the most important thing. Good luck to Portland and Coach Parker.

I don't think I said he played them in the past. I said he gave them ample chances to prove themselves. Unfortantly in this case, he had younger kids that could produce, and older ones that could not and made a change, which may have cost him his job. No excuse. Just facts. I also know it can happen at the public schools as well, but not as much. I see parents trying to do it to me every day. Good coaches don't allow this to happen. That is why you see so many kids transfering to other schools so much now, if the administration stands behind their coaches. It is also why you see coaches not stay at places as long now days as the did in the past. Where is the loyalty to the coaches? I see kids leaving us every year because of this very reason. It really doesn't matter that he was winning in a weak single A district. You can't blame him for that, they were winning. If you saw where he brought the BBS program from, you would appreciate what he did for that school. Most people do, some don't, which is ashame. As a BBS alum, I was very disappointed that we let a great Christian man go because of the obvious reasons. I would have loved for my son to play for him. It is extremely hard to get quality Christian men to teach and coach in a Christian school because they can't compare to public school pay. When you have one that had dedicated his teaching and coaching career to that, and be hit between the eyes, but expected to stay there to coach football and teach, it is a hard pill to swallow. Another thing, never question Parker's ethics. He is as fair and honest of a person you will ever meet and will give every kid the opportunity to prove himself. If the kid can't perform, he is not afraid to make changes. Also, make sure you know the man before you make a comment about his ethics. He is one of the greatest Christian men I know. Favoritism or playing certain kids because of their status will not happen. They will have to prove themselves worthy to be on the field. Portland is headed in the right direction. Let's give Coach Parker a chance before you start questioning him. The wins will come, maybe sooner than later, but what kind of work ethic and character is going to instill in these young men. That is the most important thing. Good luck to Portland and Coach Parker.

agreed! and to everyone else this is not a thread for bashing, questioning, or overpraising. this is a simple thread to keep everyone informed on how phs does this season. thanks.

I completely agree with that. Politics and baseball shouldn't be mixed, and it's great to hear that Coach Parker feels the same way. Portland Baseball is heading in the right direction, there is no doubt about that.

ptown wins over macon co. 11-5. good win for the panthers despite being a scrimmage. coach parker has this team believing. portland opens against a really talented beech team, then back at home vs rbs, and the wilson co. tournament concludes the week. (they play a really good upperman team, a loaded lebanon team, and solid watertown team) good luck to panthers and keep playing hard.