Region 9

Ibleedpurpleandgold

I only saw the last few seconds. He was hit with a stalling call and then it was over due to points. I didn't understand the stalling call and I guess he didn't either.

He has always been a class act kid from what I've seen. Yes aggresive and confident but never have attitude in any way. However that is just when I have seen him wrestler maybe 12 times.

Getting disqualified due to technical violations doesn't exactly point to "class act." I don't pretend to know the kid, but the facts are clear and it does appear he has an attitude problem (hence the disqualification), especially if it was in reaction to a stalling call. Hopefully he did learn his lesson.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Getting disqualified due to technical violations doesn't exactly point to "class act." I don't pretend to know the kid, but the facts are clear and it does appear he has an attitude problem (hence the disqualification), especially if it was in reaction to a stalling call. Hopefully he did learn his lesson.

I agree it is rediculous to lose his temper like that over something so pointless. However what I said was this season he had always been a class act and he has.

I was standing near the mat at the time of the infraction. The official actually gave him the "opportunity" to calm down. While the official was offering the wrestler some advice, he pulled his arm out of the officials hand and stormed off the mat. 19-4 was the final score. The fact that his entire reaction was based on a "stalling" call shows that this wrestler lacks character. While he may appear to many, from conversations, to be a nice kid... the fact remains that when we see this sort of behavior from a wrestler there is something wrong. It truly appeared to me, as an outside observer, that he was arrogant, self-centered and felt he was above the rules. It shows me a lack of discipline and character. From the actions of the coaches, this behavior seems to be tolerated as they attempted to defend the wrestler.

I understand in heated matches that things can happen. Emotions get high. This was not the case here. Winning 19-4 is hardly grounds to loose your cool like he did. If it were my son who had done that, he would not be wrestling next season, let alone the State Tournament.

In regards to the actions of the Northeast Coaches... they too bear a degree of responsibility for his actions. I watched them brow beat the officials endlessly. They continued to pretend that Wilson didn't do what he did. Everyone saw it and heard it. For them to act as if did not happen was ridiculous. I would encourage the administration at Northeast to have a talk with these coaches about their coaching methods. It's one thing to teach wrestlers to be aggressive. However, to allow that sort of behavior is unacceptable. I've seen this sort of behavior from NE before. It appears to be the norm. To act like it never happened only teaches your wrestlers that sort of behavior is acceptable. The rules are in place for ALL to follow. When you don't the penalties can be great. As such is the case here.

I'll step down off my soapbox now.

I was standing near the mat at the time of the infraction. The official actually gave him the "opportunity" to calm down. While the official was offering the wrestler some advice, he pulled his arm out of the officials hand and stormed off the mat. 19-4 was the final score. The fact that his entire reaction was based on a "stalling" call shows that this wrestler lacks character. While he may appear to many, from conversations, to be a nice kid... the fact remains that when we see this sort of behavior from a wrestler there is something wrong. It truly appeared to me, as an outside observer, that he was arrogant, self-centered and felt he was above the rules. It shows me a lack of discipline and character. From the actions of the coaches, this behavior seems to be tolerated as they attempted to defend the wrestler.

I understand in heated matches that things can happen. Emotions get high. This was not the case here. Winning 19-4 is hardly grounds to loose your cool like he did. If it were my son who had done that, he would not be wrestling next season, let alone the State Tournament.

In regards to the actions of the Northeast Coaches... they too bear a degree of responsibility for his actions. I watched them brow beat the officials endlessly. They continued to pretend that Wilson didn't do what he did. Everyone saw it and heard it. For them to act as if did not happen was ridiculous. I would encourage the administration at Northeast to have a talk with these coaches about their coaching methods. It's one thing to teach wrestlers to be aggressive. However, to allow that sort of behavior is unacceptable. I've seen this sort of behavior from NE before. It appears to be the norm. To act like it never happened only teaches your wrestlers that sort of behavior is acceptable. The rules are in place for ALL to follow. When you don't the penalties can be great. As such is the case here.

I'll step down off my soapbox now.

Well spoken and accurately stated facts of the situation as I was close and watching as well. Chase was dominating and was most definitely stalling with 4-5 seconds riding the kid like a horse or bull. To lose his cool over a 1 point call for stalling when winning 14-2 at the time was ridiculous. I differ a little in that I think the coaches bear most of the responsibility. Kids watch their coaches whine and complain, and guess what, they learn the lesson they have been taught. Regretful for sure to get DQ just as you qualified for state, but hey.........some lessons in life (actually most) come hard. Hope Chase and his coaches have learned a hard life lesson. Hope all the other coaches and young wrestlers watching learned the same hard lesson.

There's another post on here about Bye's at state. Since he was DQ AFTER winning, the kid he beat went to the loser bracket and this left a forfeit situation the the region championship round, thus no 2nd place representative from Reg. 9 at state in this class.