Who is/was better: John Jenkins OR Corey Brewer?

5-Sport Dad

I've been wanting to ask this on the 'John Jenkins' thread, but didn't want to take away from it. He is certainly phenomenal, fun to watch and I wish him nothing but the best at Vandy...(and beyond???)

Both seem very 'grounded,' but I'll take Corey, at this stage comparatively. I think he also put 50+ on Greenbrier one or two nights 'back in the day.' JJ is a better outside shooter, though, in my opinion.

FYI: It just so happens that 'The John Jenkins Show' will be in Greenbrier this weekend. If you haven't seen him, come on up. We'd love to have you.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure that Brewer scored 50 very often at all. His average his senior year was 28.? or 29.?. As a high school player, Jenkins is definitely better. He impacts the game more. Brewer didn't have much around him his senior year either (since Ferguson had already graduated the previous year) and like Jenkins had lots of freedom to do as he wished. Brewer had lots of big games, but he didn't pop for 50 on a regular basis like Jenkins does. And Brewer did not defend in high school like he did at Florida. Corey was depended on to score so much that he - like Jenkins - took a few possessions off on defense. Now, that doesn't mean that I think Jenkins will reach the level that Brewer is at (a lottery pick playing in the NBA). The four inches of height difference and Brewer's length and ability to defend players so well have played a big role in getting him to where he's at. Brewer scored points at Florida, but on his best season, he only averaged 12 or 13 per game. It is/was perceived that Brewer had/has major upside. That's a big reason why he was a lottery pick. Those two national championships didn't hurt that either. Good luck to both guys. They both seem like super young men.

I have had the opportunity of seeing both play numerous games in high school, and hands down jenkins is the better player. to be honest i have seen a lot of basketball through the years including the likes of vincent yarborough, kirt hastings, tony delk, ron mercer, tony harris, jermaine copeland, trey pearson, penny hardaway and many others. these just come to mind because when i seen them play they were simply amazing. however, after watching jenkins play i have to say that i have not seen a better high school player in this state ever.. don't knock me on my list of players i mentioned just some i felt fortunate to see in high school play. anyways brewer was pretty good in high school but much better when he got to college. jenkins however, can just take over anytime he wants. he has an amazing attitude and work ethic, but his ability to get open, make shots and get to the basket are like none other i have ever seen. just my opinion.

I have had the opportunity of seeing both play numerous games in high school, and hands down jenkins is the better player. to be honest i have seen a lot of basketball through the years including the likes of vincent yarborough, kirt hastings, tony delk, ron mercer, tony harris, jermaine copeland, trey pearson, penny hardaway and many others. these just come to mind because when i seen them play they were simply amazing. however, after watching jenkins play i have to say that i have not seen a better high school player in this state ever.. don't knock me on my list of players i mentioned just some i felt fortunate to see in high school play. anyways brewer was pretty good in high school but much better when he got to college. jenkins however, can just take over anytime he wants. he has an amazing attitude and work ethic, but his ability to get open, make shots and get to the basket are like none other i have ever seen. just my opinion.

Ever??? Penny was no.1 in the nation and Delk just flat out killed it in high school so thats a real bold statement. Jenkins has the numbers no doubt and I hope his team keep winning so I can see him first hand at the state...doesnt mean anything but the people in Ohio were saying all the same things about " Jon Diebler" coming out of high school 41ppg 2years ago

YES EVER!!!!! I have seen Jenkins a few times and have been to the state tourney every year for the last twenty years.Jenkins is better than anybody I have ever seen in this state.I was at the Gallatin game,he scored 60 points and fouled out with three minutes left in the second OT.Gallatin is an above average AAA team.I was also at the Greenbrier game and they ran a triangle and two with both guys picking him up at half court and still scored 52. BELEIVE THE HYPE!!!

YES EVER!!!!! I have seen Jenkins a few times and have been to the state tourney every year for the last twenty years.Jenkins is better than anybody I have ever seen in this state.I was at the Gallatin game,he scored 60 points and fouled out with three minutes left in the second OT.Gallatin is an above average AAA team.I was also at the Greenbrier game and they ran a triangle and two with both guys picking him up at half court and still scored 52. BELEIVE THE HYPE!!!

What about his defense...is he a TOP NOTCH defensive player??? Does he have the complete game??? Not dissing him...lord knows to average what he does per game is astounding..but that is ALL I ever hear about...his offensive game , I mean. I've seen some awfully good offensive players problem was that their defensive game was sorely lacking and usually was overlooked by the fact they scored so much. Not saying this is the case...just find it odd no one ever talks about that part of his game...

Sounds great ...well I cant knock his high school stats or his accomplishments but we will see in the near future if he lives up to the BEST EVER label...Delk is the best that I have seen ever in TN and we all know how he turned out...SEC player of the year, National Championship, lottery pick...Good luck to Station Camp on making it to the boro

What about his defense...is he a TOP NOTCH defensive player??? Does he have the complete game??? Not dissing him...lord knows to average what he does per game is astounding..but that is ALL I ever hear about...his offensive game , I mean. I've seen some awfully good offensive players problem was that their defensive game was sorely lacking and usually was overlooked by the fact they scored so much. Not saying this is the case...just find it odd no one ever talks about that part of his game...

I have answered this several times for you... HE HAS THE COMPLETE GAME! The kid is the real deal in every aspect of the game. I didn't get to watch Delk or Penny because that was before my day, but Jenkins is definately the best player at the guard position that I've seen. I think he's better than Trey Pearson for sure (who I saw several times)...You can watch these videos on youtube, but they don't give you the REAL feel of his game. I watched his youtube videos before I got to see him play in person and I was like yea he can shoot....when I left the game after watching him in person I was amazed. He's got his head on straight definately and plays with a passion. He'll go to Vandy and show everyone just how good he is. I think he'll be in the NBA one day as well.

I have answered this several times for you... HE HAS THE COMPLETE GAME! The kid is the real deal in every aspect of the game. I didn't get to watch Delk or Penny because that was before my day, but Jenkins is definately the best player at the guard position that I've seen. I think he's better than Trey Pearson for sure (who I saw several times)...You can watch these videos on youtube, but they don't give you the REAL feel of his game. I watched his youtube videos before I got to see him play in person and I was like yea he can shoot....when I left the game after watching him in person I was amazed. He's got his head on straight definately and plays with a passion. He'll go to Vandy and show everyone just how good he is. I think he'll be in the NBA one day as well.

I know what YOU have told me....I never hear anyone who watches him on a REGULAR basis say it or talk about it at length.....and note I said AT LENGTH. I'd ask this about any player who has been talked about offensively this much. I hope the kid has the COMPLETE game...I think his offensive ability is ASTOUNDING from what all I have read. I would love to have gotten a chance to have seen him in person this past season...from everything I have read it seems as though he spends extra time at the gym and works for it....to spend time before school and at night working on his game and be a teenager...WOW....lot of kids are good but don't have that drive. Sounds like a well balanced young man.....grades, drive....got his head on straight and I wish him nothing but the best. GC I just love a good defensive game.....you get my message today??

ALOT OF PEOPLE CONSIDER LARRY BIRD THE BEST SHOOTER OR ONE OF THE BEST SHOOTERS OF ALL TIME. AND EVERY GYM YOU WALK IN TOO HAVE GREAT SHOOTERS. BIRD , DEL CURRY, CHRIS JACKSON, REGGIE MILLER , ETC. JENKINS CAN SHOOT WITH ALL OF THEM.

JENKINS HAS A VERY QUICK RELEASE AND KNOWS HOW TO SHOOT THE STEP BACK JUMPER TO CREATE SPACE TO GET HIS SHOT OFF. HIS DEFENSE IS GOOD BUT NOT GREAT, BUT HE IS A GOOD ENOUGH ATHLETE TO BECOME A GREAT DEFENDER ONE DAY WITHOUT A DOUBT. HE IS ALSO VERY COMPETIVE AND HAS A GREAT WORK ETHIC WHICH IS WELL DOCUMENTED. HE WILL HAVE NO PROBLEM ADJUSTING TO THE COLLEGE GAME. LAST SUMMER AT ONE OF THE CAMPS HE PLAYED WITH THE BEST 100 PLAYERS IN THE NATION AND LED EVERYONE IN SCORING FOR THE WEEK WITH 17 PER GAME. THE NEXT CLOSEST PLAYER AVERAGED 15 PER GAME.

MOST PEOPLE THAT HAVE SEEN HIM PLAY UNDERSTAND HOW GOOD HE IS. HOPEFULLY THEY WILL MAKE THE STATE TOURNEY THIS YEAR SO MORE PEOPLE AROUND THE STATE CAN WATCH HIM PLAY. THE DISTRICT IS WEAK THIS YEAR THAT HE PLAYS IN BUT THE REGION IS VERY STRONG. LIVINGSTON ACADEMY, UPPERMAN , AND WHITE HOUSE SHOULD BE STATIONS CAMPS STRONGEST COMPETITION IN THE REGION TOURNAMENT .

WHO IS/WAS BETTER? JENKINS OR BREWER. I WOULD HAVE TO SAY JENKINS BY A NOSE. I WATCHED COREY PLAY SEVREAL TIMES IN HIGH SCHOOL AND HAVE WATCHED JENKINS FOR YEARS. COREY WAS OBVIOUSLY THE BETTER DEFENSIVE PLAYER AND JENKINS HAS MORE OFFENSIVE SKILLS.

I SEE JENKINS BEING AN ALL AMERICAN BEFORE HE LEAVES VANDERBILT. FOR THE DOUBTERS OUT THERE WATCH THE MCDONALDS ALL AMERICAN GAME THIS YEAR IF HE DOES MAKE THE TEAM AND I THINK YOU WILL UNDERSTAND WHAT THE HYPE IS ALL ABOUT.