Charlotte Nike Combine

compusatman

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I took my son and another kid from Volunteer. We saw and talked with a few from South (Satch). Also saw some Science Hill and Greeneville kids.

Overall we left pretty disappointed with the testing conditions. The surface was very slick and most of the kids were probably at least 3 to 4 tenths slower in the 40 than they would have been under better conditions. My son is not fast by any means, runs about a 4.9 normally but was a half second off of that Sunday since he nearly face planted with his first step on both runs. Some kids were stopped and allowed to restart, some were not.

I would guess that in the three hours or so that I watched there were probably about 80% of the athletes having trouble starting. Shuttle run was more of the same. Vertical jump was okay. Then there was a two hour wait for the kneeling power ball throw. That was pretty ridiculous.

It was a good experience I guess but they need bigger facilities if they are going to run that many kids through in five hours. I don't know how many were there but I would guess about 1500 to 2000. I think the South kids were frustrated as well since there times were slower than expected.

Congratulations to your son on the Charleston signing. I think some Div. I-AA schools really missed out on him.

I took my son and another kid from Volunteer. We saw and talked with a few from South (Satch). Also saw some Science Hill and Greeneville kids.

Overall we left pretty disappointed with the testing conditions. The surface was very slick and most of the kids were probably at least 3 to 4 tenths slower in the 40 than they would have been under better conditions. My son is not fast by any means, runs about a 4.9 normally but was a half second off of that Sunday since he nearly face planted with his first step on both runs. Some kids were stopped and allowed to restart, some were not.

I would guess that in the three hours or so that I watched there were probably about 80% of the athletes having trouble starting. Shuttle run was more of the same. Vertical jump was okay. Then there was a two hour wait for the kneeling power ball throw. That was pretty ridiculous.

It was a good experience I guess but they need bigger facilities if they are going to run that many kids through in five hours. I don't know how many were there but I would guess about 1500 to 2000. I think the South kids were frustrated as well since there times were slower than expected.

Congratulations to your son on the Charleston signing. I think some Div. I-AA schools really missed out on him.

Sounds like the same location we had last year. Two years ago the Charlotte combine was outdoors and due to the always early schedule of Charlotte the weather is always bad. In 2007 it was hampered by torential downpoors. Thus the decision to move it indoors. Which as you now know is not much better. The Atlanta combine is always in warm weather and always at a premier location. Probably due to the fact that the Atlanta combine is one of the largest and most competitive. I would not miss the Atlanta event and would consider the other warm weather combines...such as Alabama. I would say third times the charm when it comes to combines especially if you have not competed as an underclassman. Which is my advise to everyone and that is don't wait until you are a rising Senior to begin touring these very important events.

I appreciate your support. We obviously feel the same way but sometimes you have to fight a little harder. He is mature in the fact that he must build his stock and he has long term goals that will begin in Charleston. So we will see if he has what it takes to carry that weight. Primadonnas are a dime a dozen but the Devin Hesters of the world come from the fire. There is always a price to be paid. So good luck to you and yours! It's a long road and you gotta' love it.

He has not been invited to any camps yet. Hopefully those ill come soon. He got invited to the SPARQ combine in Mobile the week earlier but did not perform great, he still got 26th but knew he could do better. At this one his vert was 38.2, power ball was 41 ft., shuttle was 4.41 and that slow turf had his forty at a 4.99. His overall rating was a 105.5.

He has not been invited to any camps yet. Hopefully those ill come soon. He got invited to the SPARQ combine in Mobile the week earlier but did not perform great, he still got 26th but knew he could do better. At this one his vert was 38.2, power ball was 41 ft., shuttle was 4.41 and that slow turf had his forty at a 4.99. His overall rating was a 105.5.

My understanding is low to mid ninties constitutes a potential Nike invite. Breaking 100 is upper 10% and I would say if a definate D1 look. Sparq scores and Nike combines are not the definative answer of whether one can play football or not however it does show some things. You can't grade a lineman on a sparq score nor the technique of a back but at the least it shows potential.

Not the same location in Charlotte as last year comp, but just as bad. Actually, it was worse. I have no idea what NIKE is thinking when they schedule these dumps. They are hurting kids, not helping them when no one can even start. It was my observation that the more dynamic and explosive the kid, the worse they slid. Football cleats were usesless on this surface. Kids were sliding, not only at the start of the 40, but as they went down the field! Track shoes with no metal spikes would have been better, and some did use them. We will pack 'em from now on.

We took four Rebels to Charlotte. Logue, Bobby, Watterson, and Zanoni. I felt Logue helped himself. Logue could play at the next level if he so chooses. He is benching 300+ but didn't nail the powerball form. It takes practice. Zanoni showed well, but did slip some as well. Bobby and Seth might as well have been on ice. They had good powerball throws and decent verticals.

We (S.H. and I) did take Seth to a local turf field last night to fine tune a few things after sad excuse for a combine Nike put on in Charlotte. He and the Duece are heading to Nashville this weekend for PrepChamps combine. It's ran by Coach Kitz, who used to coach at Fla State and Notre Dame and is Coach Skip Holtz's (ECU) brother in law. It will be a great combine where they film everything, send it out to the colleges, and GIVE you the DVD, and it's at the D-1 facility in Franklin partially owned by Peyton Manning. Nice Speed Turf, like our friends in the city. For the record comp, on the speed turf last night in the cold, a very smooth 4.5 40 and a 4.3 shuttle.

Not the same location in Charlotte as last year comp, but just as bad. Actually, it was worse. I have no idea what NIKE is thinking when they schedule these dumps. They are hurting kids, not helping them when no one can even start. It was my observation that the more dynamic and explosive the kid, the worse they slid. Football cleats were usesless on this surface. Kids were sliding, not only at the start of the 40, but as they went down the field! Track shoes with no metal spikes would have been better, and some did use them. We will pack 'em from now on.

We took four Rebels to Charlotte. Logue, Bobby, Watterson, and Zanoni. I felt Logue helped himself. Logue could play at the next level if he so chooses. He is benching 300+ but didn't nail the powerball form. It takes practice. Zanoni showed well, but did slip some as well. Bobby and Seth might as well have been on ice. They had good powerball throws and decent verticals.

We (S.H. and I) did take Seth to a local turf field last night to fine tune a few things after sad excuse for a combine Nike put on in Charlotte. He and the Duece are heading to Nashville this weekend for PrepChamps combine. It's ran by Coach Kitz, who used to coach at Fla State and Notre Dame and is Coach Skip Holtz's (ECU) brother in law. It will be a great combine where they film everything, send it out to the colleges, and GIVE you the DVD, and it's at the D-1 facility in Franklin partially owned by Peyton Manning. Nice Speed Turf, like our friends in the city. For the record comp, on the speed turf last night in the cold, a very smooth 4.5 40 and a 4.3 shuttle.

He is benching 300+ but didn't nail the powerball form. It takes practice. How long must I preach? Practice makes perfect. Form dictates function. Technique is everything. You don't practice, you don't perform. The whole reason for attending the Nike combine is not to impress yourself or your peers but to what?.....co'mon...Yeah...get an invite to a (FREE) Nike Football Camp. Why? Because ESPN is there along with Rivals, D1 coaches, Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders, anybody who is anybody. You get your picture taken. You get a spot on Rivals complete with video. They build your Mom and Dad a new house. You get a Lamborghini. Logue is a hog. He is an animal. But without proper exposure he too could be relegated this time next year to being satisfied with DII interest. Look, let's be real here. Do the combines mean anything? No! They mean nothing. Then what is the use? Is the ACT a measurement of acdemic success in college? No. Then why do you get an acedemic full ride if you score a 31 or better? Why if you score 18 you get virtually nothing? Potential. ACT is a measurement of potential. The SPARQ score is a measurement of potential. Does that mean you can play football? NO! But it does mean you have potential. Very few DI college players are chosen for their outright ability. They are chosen for potential. Devin Hester fell through the cracks...go see how he did at the combines. My point? For two measlie months...December and January, do your normal workouts...whatever! But at the forefront of your routine Mon-Fri should be nothing more than a combine workout...in realtime. Not weights! Not simulations! Get a freaking medicine ball, get on your knees and throw the sucker. Over and over! How hard is it? How did I learn to play guitar? Well, one day I just picked it up and started playing like Joe Satriani. I don't have to practice...it's God given. Dude, pass the crack pipe. Run the 40. Over and over and over. Run the shuttle...ditto! Practice the vertical jump! Over and over and over! Throw the power ball. Practice the whole competition just like your were performing the competition. Why? Because a lineman can lift and be very strong but that doesn't mean he can perform a pancake block. A runningback can be agile(shuttle run), fast (40) and run with power (power ball) but if he don't practice the technique he will never learn the cutback. Be satisfied with 6 yards when you could have 35...never. The point is...once again...PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT! If you attend enough combines you will eventually find the perfect day. The right temp, correct field conditions, correct timing...it will fall together IF you are PREPARED. Timing is everything. Do you want to be the 100th kid running the 40 from the same spot where everyone started slippin around contestant number 60. And track spikes are a must! Look around when you are there. These guys come prepared. They know what the potential is if they make the Nike Camps! To them it is money. Hello!

We know your season will be terrific...it's a given. This is not about the season. It's about what happens after you leave! It's your portrait...paint it well.