Metro Overview

oldmetrodog

For a lot of years (and it's been a few now) it was. To me, it's sort of like how, even though you may not like Notre Dame (and no I'm not saying McGavock is Notre Dame) it's good for college football if they are good. Something's missing when the Alabamas, Notre Dames, USC's are down. From having been around metro since the beginning of time, I just think something's missing when McGavock, Overton, Maplewood are down. Call it 1970's bias I guess. Broome is always late to practice?

I think he was referring to Baskins but not sure. If you look at numbers alone McGavock should be one of the premier programs. Of course numbers dont always tell everything. As far as Overton being down since the 70's and 80's look at what they lost and Hillsboro gained. Overton had a good run in the late 90's behind QB Chris McKee and then again with Jacob Coleman. With McKee they ran into a buzz saw with WhiteHouse and Ricky Ladd and lost late. With Coleman they ran into Hillsboro and I believe lost in the last minute of the game when their last drive stalled due to a fumble. Same could be said about Glencliff. And Maplewood wasnt really all that great until recently. I look for them to be better off in the new district though.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he was referring to Baskins but not sure. If you look at numbers alone McGavock should be one of the premier programs. Of course numbers dont always tell everything. As far as Overton being down since the 70's and 80's look at what they lost and Hillsboro gained. Overton had a good run in the late 90's behind QB Chris McKee and then again with Jacob Coleman. With McKee they ran into a buzz saw with WhiteHouse and Ricky Ladd and lost late. With Coleman they ran into Hillsboro and I believe lost in the last minute of the game when their last drive stalled due to a fumble. Same could be said about Glencliff. And Maplewood wasnt really all that great until recently. I look for them to be better off in the new district though.

Overton had a good run in the early 90's with Wharton, too, but not like they were in the 70's and early 80's. Maplewood was a POWER in the 70's and early 80's (back in the Elrod days). Like I said, 70's bias. We tend, I think, to remember how things were early in our careers.

Baskin is not late to practice. Doesn't sleep in the dugout either.

who does?

Before I respond to your post why should Mcgavok be a premier program in town. Also I would put Coach Green over Coach Baskins but I am bias. I think Coach Green deserves a shot but Coach Baskins would do a good job as well. Either way a coach that is always late to practice among other major issues does not deserve the job. I hope improvements are made before the good assistants leave.

I've been around way too long, but a few of you will remember these names. McGavock's best year was when Garland Russell was out most of the 75 season (I think) for an illness. Mel Brown ran the team that year and got them to the clinic bowl when it was an invitation bowl. The funny thing is that Russell got better in time to come back. Made some changes and got them beat.

If Brown had decided to stay in football, he would have been the head coach and McGavock would have had a much better chance of being that premier program, just like he did with the baseball program.

No offense against Wes, Wes is a great coach and very knowledgable. He just didnt have the feel for the school or the athletes and the relationships that Mel did.

Swami, bring back James "Creature" Caruthers, Lafayette Moore and Wayne Gregory. I'm sure Larry Fraley was the "brains" behind that magical year?. /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> The clinic bowl you speak of was the fall of '73 ( I know, memories fade).

Lost to Overton 35-0 in that clinic bowl. If you want, I can list the scores from the entire season, just for you.

Are you going to accept my friendship on Facebook? I'm waiting..................

McGavock 1973 Eastern Division Champs 10-1

MG 22 Chattanooga Central 6

MG 16 Maplewood 8

MG 37 East 12

MG 27 Franklin Co. 0

MG 20 Hendersonville 0

MG 29 Stratford 0

MG 28 Sparta 14

MG 28 Franklin 0

MG 49 Madison 0

MG 36 Greenville 0

MG 0 Overton 35

Listed coaches:

Head Coach: Garland Russell

Asst's: Mel Brown, Richard Coure, Jim Norris, Bill Randolph, Larry Fraley, Milton Harris

Swami, bring back James "Creature" Caruthers, Lafayette Moore and Wayne Gregory. I'm sure Larry Fraley was the "brains" behind that magical year?. /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> The clinic bowl you speak of was the fall of '73 ( I know, memories fade).

Lost to Overton 35-0 in that clinic bowl. If you want, I can list the scores from the entire season, just for you.

Are you going to accept my friendship on Facebook? I'm waiting..................

Creature would put a hurting on you, thats for sure. A man amongst boys.

Facebook?? Never been on it.

I thought Maplewood did have a couple of really good years under Van Hoose(?) I think around 93/94. But then they kinda disappeared until recently.

Sometimes you invest everything in something and find out it is not what you thought it was going to be. You can come home again. IF you want to.

No, not Coach A. Expand your horizons.

Then I'll go with M. Fitzgerald. He gave everything to PC. Not sure if it wasnt what he thought it would be though. I think from all indications he was pretty happy there. Herzog would fit this bill too as would Gore. I give up, Im not familiar enough with the past Hillsboro assistants.