Refrees?

bulldog787

This is a good question. I was at the Lenoir City vs Oak Ridge game Saturday, and the officiating was terrible. The OR players beat Tyler Hood to death the entire night. Yet he was the one in foul trouble. When LC was down late and attempting to foul in order to extend the game an LC player wrapped an OR player up and the official did not call it. Nearly 15 more seconds rolled off the clock before they called the foul. The official that should have called the first foul said to the LC player "Sorry I missed that foul, I couldn't see it because your coach was talking to much". How ridiculous is that? This ref was penalizing a team because he didn't like the fact that the coach disagreed with some of his calls. The foul count in the second half was Lenoir City-9 and Oak Ridge-3. LC had 2 players foul out and another with 4 fouls, while OR had only one player with 4 fouls. Coach Wells informed the official that he would be reporting him. The official responded by saying "They aren't going to do anything to me, but I would be glad to take the film in for you". I wish these officials would remember that the game is about the players and not them. The people pay to watch the players play. I have never watched highlights on ESPN or local news where they showed a highlight reel of great calls.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reading all of your posts I can tell that you go in to a game giving the officials a fair shot! HA! And by the way ???buddy???, you can??™t count Junior Pro or your little sisters practice games as ???Referee??? experience!

It??™s a little different when the games matter. So like I said before. You know how much it costs. Put your money where your mouth is. Put some stripes on and see how you feel afterwards. If you had actually been in the locker room at half time of a tightly contested game your tone would be entirely different.

There are many good refs in TN, and this guy seems to be one of them. At the same time, there are some bad refs out there. I have known some refs who go into a particular game holding a grudge against a coach. That is wrong. Now as far as the LA and DCA game goes, the officiating was bad that night and stupid at times (especially when they made the student section stand on top of the bleachers instead of on the floor, there is no rule that says a group of people cant stand up in front of their bleachers.). I would not be a ref no matter what it paid, there is a lot of pressure that comes with that job.

Also about the LA Student section, that ref was out of line, BUT Principle Watson of LA should have stood up for his student section. It seems to me that he doesn't realize the student sections controlls a big part of the momentum in that gym. Watson needs to let the student section act like a student section.

I hate to tell ya but im registered with the TSSAA for Football and basketball been there done that!!!

The only thing id buy him is a bus ticket to another state!

sounds like somebody has a crush!!! bom chicka wow wow.....

well you say you are registered but if you were truely a referee then you would know that it's UNETHICAL to bash fellow officials no matter the case.... but what do I know...

well you say you are registered but if you were truely a referee then you would know that it's UNETHICAL to bash fellow officials no matter the case.... but what do I know...

Guys look bottom line, REFS Do not cheat. I have been an official for about 20 years and have worked with many people and they do not cheat. I was at the game saturday at oak ridge and they did not say that to a player. Both coaches were pleased and both teams had an equal chance to win the game, what else can you really ask for? You are viewing the game one sided. For example if a player on your team gets run over and they call a charge they are great, but if it happens on the other end they are terrible. Leave the refs alone if they could not do the job effectively they would not be out there, especially this time of year.

Im going to admit that im not that old in fact im a college student. But i am registered and have refed a few highschool games just not this season due to classes, but I have been watching it for the past 20 years and ive been yelled and screamed at. It dont bother me I expect it. I also lose my temer too quick alot of times when it comes to my home teams games. I know how a game should be called and I even tell the people sitting next to be that we should have calls on us that they let us go with. And alot of times i keep my mouth shut on calls that most dont agree with because they are human too and they will make mistakes heaven only knows I have made a bad call or two on a court. But when it comes to things like what happened the other night its just not right. And dont you think that at a regular job if you do something stupid your going to get yelled at for it?

getting yelled at is part of the game. As an official i pay no attention to people yelling. Most of them have no clue even what there saying but thats ok. As long as everyone remembes it is the kids game not anyone elses. This time of year they send the best that they have to the games. Give them an opporutnity. you see college refs that are making around 2000 a game tossing coaches and fans out now days. You think they cannot do the job? get real. You want to be a ref go to a camp and let the supervisors yell at your for trhee days straight and then tell me its easy. It is just like playing they mis shots and make turnovers and we miss calls. It happens.

getting yelled at is part of the game. As an official i pay no attention to people yelling. Most of them have no clue even what there saying but thats ok. As long as everyone remembes it is the kids game not anyone elses. This time of year they send the best that they have to the games. Give them an opporutnity. you see college refs that are making around 2000 a game tossing coaches and fans out now days. You think they cannot do the job? get real. You want to be a ref go to a camp and let the supervisors yell at your for trhee days straight and then tell me its easy. It is just like playing they mis shots and make turnovers and we miss calls. It happens.

Missed calls are understandable. Everyone makes mistakes, no one is perfect.

I have a rulle question...intentional foul...what is the rule and why isnt it called a little more often

To speak to your rule question??¦. One part is simple. If you intentionally, in the judgment of the official, foul someone it is an intentional foul.

That being said, why isn??™t it called more?? I have no idea. It seems that it is reserved for an intentional foul that somehow threatens someone??™s life. I completely agree it should be called more.

We let one go the other night that should have been an intentional foul. Of course hind sight is 20/20. We discussed it in the post game and hopefully won??™t make that mistake again.

When a team is trying to stop the clock and does not make a play on the ball, in most cases, it should probably be intentional. I think we let that go because it has become part of the game. Right or wrong, I think that is what happens.

Technically, you are supposed to have a ???seat??? behind you. So if you are on the baseline you should have a bleacher behind you to set in. If you are standing on the wall, technically, you need to move. Now we all know that there are several SMALL gyms that can??™t hold the crowds this time of year. Most of the time we turn a blind eye to it.

That being said, if you are on the baseline, in the blind spot of the official and giving them a hard time, it get??™s a little unnerving.

Just speaking from experience, when you are on the baseline and you see someone out of the corner of your eye taking a couple steps towards you and yelling things that would make is momma blush, you appreciate it when the AD puts them in the bleachers.

So, Technically, yes there are designated places you are to stand and not to stand. But, like most things, the situation really determines the application.

Does that help?

Yeah, that helps a little but in our gym the student section bleachers are behind the baseline

and at every game the front row people stand a few feet off the court and the rest of the student section stands in the bleachers behind them

would that be legal by the rulebook?

and in this paticular situation nothing had been said to the ref or anyone yet.. the game had just started

im not normally known for saying very bad things to refs anyways

I understand that its got to be a pretty difficult job

but like every other fan I get a little aggravated when some calls dont go my way

I usually just grunt and moan about it though.. maybe holler a few "are you kiddin me's" out there every now and then /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

but thanks for your help

If your talking about the Livingston Academy vs DCA game Saturday those refs were abosultly stupid! And before you say any thing about anything I have done some refing. The ref made the student section go up into the stands within a min. into the game and they had done nothing wrong. He just wanted them moved and delayed the game almost 10 mins doing so and made a fool out of himself in the process. They have always stood there sense i can remember. They are a good four or five foot back from being anywhere near the baseline. He would have been better off if he would have just left them alone because they stood the whole time in the bleachers that were about a foot behind them and gave him heck all night. But thats ok because he just fired up our whole fan base and made things even better. This same ref also let a "T" go as a double dribble. You can wrap your arms around someones neck and drag them to the floor. The kid should have been T'd up and ejected immeditaly ive saw it happen for far less than that. That same ref also caused a mess when he called a "T" on one of the LA boys who did aboslutly nothing but a minor foul and then turned and walked off and never said a word. DCA got by with everything and LA got called everytime they moved. It was by far one sided on officating.Thankfully LA come out on top and still won. I went to another game here recently to where the foul count was 16-2 in the third quarter and by the time the game was done almost three hours later there were over 50 fouls in the second half. Some things officials do are just plain stupid!! Neither team ever got a goo rythem going that night they couldnt and the final score was bout half what it should have been. I go into the game giving the refrees a fair chance and I know they have a hard job but when things like that happen its hard to just let it go.

Yeah, that is the game i was referring too.

Im one of the fans thats down there on the floor every home game hootin' and hollerin'

And your right that ref was terrible.. Just glad we got out of there with a win

Hopefully we wont have the same guy back at home for the Sub-state game.