Refrees?

bulldog787

You can say I have an ego if you want. I was just throwing some things out there to show that I at least have a concept of what officials do and how they are treated. I admire basketball officials that try to do a good job, I really do. But those that are not in it for the right reasons simply need to retire, hang it up, or just go do some rec league ball. That goes for any sport. If you are not out there for the right reasons, then go home. I personally don't think that I have an ego. I am not out there on Friday nights trying to get to the next level. When I am out there, I am doing one thing. Trying to call the game fairly so that all the kids have a fair shot. If I have offended some of you, I apologize, but I still think that there are some officials that simply should not be given a whistle. That may be what some think of me when I am on the field. If so, I can only work to get better.

well if you are the number 1 rated official then you would probably not be on here bashing other officials because you would understand the code of ethics that listed in the rule book....

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not bashing officials. Just stating that some, a vast minority, need to hang it up. They have the wrong intentions when they step on the field or the court. I am sure that most supervisors would agree that there are some that simply should not be officiating. Then again, you seem to know more about it than I do, so I guess I am 100% in the wrong here. Thanks for the enlightenment. I am a better person for it.

I am not bashing officials. Just stating that some, a vast minority, need to hang it up. They have the wrong intentions when they step on the field or the court. I am sure that most supervisors would agree that there are some that simply should not be officiating. Then again, you seem to know more about it than I do, so I guess I am 100% in the wrong here. Thanks for the enlightenment. I am a better person for it.

well i'm a little slow as pointed out in earlier! but you have changed your whole "shouldnt be given a whistle" to "should probably hang it up" Why shouldn't they be officiating? They all have to start somewhere!! even if they are 40and just starting out!! But what do I know, you are the top rated official and was "approved" to work the state championship!! I'm just a peon that probably "probably shouldn't be given a whistle"

LOl funny this should be brought up the principal was sent to me during halftime of the district tournament game and i was told to be quiet or i would be forced to leave...lol i just asked to call both ends of the court i said our girls are getting hammered and nothing is called and then that little ticky tack hand check is called...in my defense the second half was very well called

At a game once where our team was 30pts better, we lost by ten. 4 starters fouled out and had 2 bench players with 4. We started yelling out what they were missing, so they had the cops come over. I asked had he watched any of the game and he said no. I said go back over and watch, if I am wrong just point me to the door and I will leave. He watched 2 min. and turned and started talking to his buddy, left us alone. We beat that team by 30 at home with even officiating.

They should not have been allowed to ref ever again!

As for accusing a official of cheating that is going to far. Yes some are missed, and some are just plain bad. I will never believe that a official goes out with the intentions of cheating. Most of the guys I know beat themselfs up pretty good on the drive home about a poor job or missed call that hurt a team. Our assigning officer for football actually brought in a agent from the FBI to one of our meeting just to discuss possibly things like that and the pently involved. I do not know about you but 85 dollars is not worth the time, embassesment and shame that would come with it.

As for cheating, next time your at work and take that extra smoke break or take that few extra minutes in the break room, rember that is cheating!! Even if you don't think so, it is cheating! Don't feel so good to be called a cheater does it?

Was at a tournament last year. One of the girls for the other team kept pushing off and knocking our girl down before taking the shot. Made a typical statement, said, "watch the push-off ref." His wife was 2 rows down, she turned and let it fly. Calmly replied that you shouldn't sit in the stands if that was all it took to upset her. We were up 30+ at halftime. She followed the refs into locker room and the game changed. We had to hit our free throws to win the game. She was laughing and pointing the whole second half, she thought we were going to get beat. She was mad when we hit our free throws, even passed by and mouthed off to our crowd.

Don't tell me refs don't cheat! I have only seen such obvious cheats 3 times in 25 years. We won two of them. But I have seen little no-calls or calls that only go one way, that could easily affect the outcome of a game. Most of the time, innocent mistakes. But some are so obvious and its hard to hide the intent.

That being said, I have seen better officiating then I have bad. I leave most games discussing our play whether than officials. They for the most part are trying to do a good job.

well i'm a little slow as pointed out in earlier! but you have changed your whole "shouldnt be given a whistle" to "should probably hang it up" Why shouldn't they be officiating? They all have to start somewhere!! even if they are 40and just starting out!! But what do I know, you are the top rated official and was "approved" to work the state championship!! I'm just a peon that probably "probably shouldn't be given a whistle"

I agree they have to start somewhere. That is what middle school, jr. pro, and jv games are for. A rookie should not be working the region tournament at the high school level. I have never said that I know everything there is to know about officiating, but I do watch the sport and see some guys that should not be officiating. That is all I am trying to say. I was not saying that I am the top rated official "at my position" or that I was approved by the state to work a state championship to prove that I know everything. I was throwing that information out there to show that I do have a little bit of knowledge as to the profession of officiating. Bottom line is this: I think there are some guys that should not be officials because they can not be unbiased. At that point, they are only hurting the kids. Never have I said that beginners should not be given a chance. If a beginner had not been given a chance many years ago, I would not be where I am today. However, the beginners have to work their way up the ranks and prove they belong. My opinion, not saying anyone else is completely wrong. I have an opinion and you have yours. If you like officials that stick it to a team, that is your prerogative. I like my officials to be unbiased and call a fair game. Of course they are going to miss a call here and there. That is fine with me. I have missed some calls in my career, anybody that does this job has missed calls. However, when you intentionally miss calls or make up phantom calls against a team, you should not be held responsible in some way. Sorry if that hurts your feelings or whatever, but that is my opinion.

bada ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding......I hear the banjo playing in your background.......you don't get out much do you bulldog......Won't your Sister, I mean your Mom let you come out and play..... /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Go back to new york you yankee

bada ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding......I hear the banjo playing in your background.......you don't get out much do you bulldog......Won't your Sister, I mean your Mom let you come out and play..... /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Go back to new york you yankee

Well, that sounds typical of some small minded people. My wife also attends most of my HS softball, baseball and football games, yes she sits in the stands. She does tell me what is said AFTER the game. Believe me if I blow I call she is worst than any superviser I have ever had talk to me. I guess as a official that DOES NOT work varsity basketball I can say that I too have seen guys that just don't seem to be there for the correct reasons. For a example; kid grabs a ball in mid air, calls time before landing out of bounds. Ref granted time. Now that is a case of not keeping up with rule changes and should be talked to about. The only thing I can say about officials cheating is. I have never worked with a guy I thought cheated. Missed a few maybe, didn't see it the way I saw it YA, but cheated NO. As has been stated here before most of the guys that are not in it for the right reasons usually don't last long. My advise to anyone that thinks a official is cheating would be tape the game, watch it several times at home, then if still convinced it was cheating contact the TSSAA and report it. Send in the tape, the assigning officer WILL get a call and if proven I promise you that official will be remove from the game.

I agree they have to start somewhere. That is what middle school, jr. pro, and jv games are for. A rookie should not be working the region tournament at the high school level. I have never said that I know everything there is to know about officiating, but I do watch the sport and see some guys that should not be officiating. That is all I am trying to say. I was not saying that I am the top rated official "at my position" or that I was approved by the state to work a state championship to prove that I know everything. I was throwing that information out there to show that I do have a little bit of knowledge as to the profession of officiating. Bottom line is this: I think there are some guys that should not be officials because they can not be unbiased. At that point, they are only hurting the kids. Never have I said that beginners should not be given a chance. If a beginner had not been given a chance many years ago, I would not be where I am today. However, the beginners have to work their way up the ranks and prove they belong. My opinion, not saying anyone else is completely wrong. I have an opinion and you have yours. If you like officials that stick it to a team, that is your prerogative. I like my officials to be unbiased and call a fair game. Of course they are going to miss a call here and there. That is fine with me. I have missed some calls in my career, anybody that does this job has missed calls. However, when you intentionally miss calls or make up phantom calls against a team, you should not be held responsible in some way. Sorry if that hurts your feelings or whatever, but that is my opinion.

well I hope I never work a football game with you because you have pointed out to me that it's your show during a game... That whole last response contradicted everything you have said before...

What will it take for you to understand that "AS AN OFFICIAL" you may an opinion but you should never blast them on a website or in person!!!

You Mr. Official have put a bruise on the profession!! I can take fans getting on here yelling about a job the officials have done.. but for an official to get on here and do that???? Sad day!!

well I hope I never work a football game with you because you have pointed out to me that it's your show during a game... That whole last response contradicted everything you have said before...

What will it take for you to understand that "AS AN OFFICIAL" you may an opinion but you should never blast them on a website or in person!!!

You Mr. Official have put a bruise on the profession!! I can take fans getting on here yelling about a job the officials have done.. but for an official to get on here and do that???? Sad day!!

Does not contradict anything I have said before. There are guys that should not be doing the job. Plain and simple. If that is blasting an official, then I guess I am blasting the officials. I have said numerous times, that it is a vast minority of the guys that are out there. I have said that I "admire" the ones that try to do a good job. As for being my show, come watch a game and you will see. I have no intentions of drawing attention to myself on the field. Step on the field, do the job to the best of my ability, and go home, hopefully without anyone knowing we were there. I guess I should just turn a blind eye to bad officiating. Wait, maybe that is why we are in the situation we are in now, with some bad officials, because no one wants to call it what it is. Obviously not going to change your opinion, which is fine. I have mine, you have yours, we are probably both wrong in areas. That is what is so good about opinions, everyone has one.

Bulldog get a life. you are a Single a basketball fan. YOu will not get the best officails at a a game. If the guys are working hard leave them alone. And for the money part of it, 55 to state 95 to association and 175 to camp every three years. Get a life or find another sport to go and watch. Quit living through other peoples shoes. your an idoit.

your the idoit. nobody likes you so go back to the north you yankee

I think the quality of officiating in basketball decreased by 1/3 when a third official was added. I watch both boys and girls varsity games all year long, and I have consistantly seen calls made all year long that are absolutely ridiculous. The worst thing is that on one end of the floor a guy gets absolutely hammered with no call, then on the other end, they call a ticky tack hand check the next time down. It's really hard to enjoy the game when this is going on, it's infuriating. I know it's a very tough job to do, as half the people in the gym are happy and the other half are mad with every call. But some of the stuff that goes on is really hard to believe. I have seen over 60 varsity games this year and both our teams have had great years, so this is not sour grapes, it's just the way I see it.