Refrees?

bulldog787

your an idiot! if you say you stink you shouldnt throw them out or T them. just smile and go on! god so many refs are just big babys now a days

As Obama (or whoever he stole it from) would say, "Words, just words" ....Well words have consequences and if the coach wishes to chose his words and tone poorly than he can say them from the parking lot. And I assure you no ref worth his salt would let a coach call him names. A ref should treat every coach with respect, and every coach should treat the ref with respect. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> Well that last sentence sounded good anyway.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As Obama (or whoever he stole it from) would say, "Words, just words" ....Well words have consequences and if the coach wishes to chose his words and tone poorly than he can say them from the parking lot. And I assure you no ref worth his salt would let a coach call him names. A ref should treat every coach with respect, and every coach should treat the ref with respect. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> Well that last sentence sounded good anyway.

The refs are human and the job is difficult...VERY difficult. We cant expect perfection but what is hurting refs credibility is INCONSISTANCY. Clearly the Chattanooga refs where I am from generally call alot more fouls then any other region, all near fouls, near over the back, near reach ins and all bigger players get 2x the calls against them then smaller players. On the west and mid state there seems to be much less of that. With all do respect, and again it is a VERY difficult thing to do, the refs, atleast in our area must improve so that the players can compete in all regions of the state on an equal footing. For the refs who are putting the effort to really improve your game we applaud you and the others we need to do something about. I am calling TSSAA for one to register my dismay at how our area with so few refs are doing. It really is impacting on the game we love.

And by the way ???buddy???, you can??™t count Junior Pro or your little sisters practice games as ???Referee??? experience!

Gonna have to respectfully disagree.......for some us, myself included, a little stint in Junior Pro was all it took to completely revamp a view on officiating.

I've had my share of T's, ejections and tantrums both as a player and later as a Junior League coach. Was not until I was "talked" into calling a 10 year old game on a Saturday afternoon that I fully appreciated the job. I left scared for my life....and I'm a grown man. Changed my whole outlook.

Ought to be on an episode of "Dirty Jobs".............I would rather hall hay in the middle of August!

Hat's off to those who are willing.........because I'm never doing it again.

JMO

• 1 month later...

Gonna have to respectfully disagree.......for some us, myself included, a little stint in Junior Pro was all it took to completely revamp a view on officiating.

I've had my share of T's, ejections and tantrums both as a player and later as a Junior League coach. Was not until I was "talked" into calling a 10 year old game on a Saturday afternoon that I fully appreciated the job. I left scared for my life....and I'm a grown man. Changed my whole outlook.

Ought to be on an episode of "Dirty Jobs".............I would rather hall hay in the middle of August!

Hat's off to those who are willing.........because I'm never doing it again.

JMO

Refs are poons. thats all there is to say

• 2 weeks later...

I am a 40+ mother who played extensive basketball. I do not remember the refs when I played wanting to be a part of the game. However I am now the mother of two teenage boys who play year round. They have played since they were 5. They both love the game and yet the reffing seems to decline every year. I have taught them both to be respectful to to the refs and let the coach handle any problems. This last year has been a rough one. I have seen numerous games where the refs should be announced with the teams. They make points of making sure everyone knows they are there.

In my own way I had finally had it a few weeks ago at a local AAU tournament. It was late on a Sunday afternoon. Everyone had played numerous games since Friday evening. It was the last game and the championship game. It was clear from the start that it would be a good game. However, the refs were tired and were calling very little. The game starting getting out of hand. (At a tournament in Nashville the same kind of thing happened and my son ended up with a broken arm because no one was blowing the whistle. So I was obviously concerned.) I did sit with my mouth shut while the ref turned around numerous times and yelled at the crowd in the stands. He also gave three technicals to the bench of our team. One was because while sitting on the bench, the asst. coach yelled foul. At the end of the game my son had a black eye and a bite mark on his arm. ( I didn't know about this until after we got to the car). But our team had seven fouls in the whole game and the other team had one. I was appalled by the lack of control and wanted to either call or write the TSSAA. I walked over to the scorers table and very calmly asked the name of the referees. All heck broke out. One ref got in my face, gave me his first name and accused me of threatening him. The other ref called me a name and said I was not worth there time. They then asked me my name which I gave them, the whole thing. I then walked away was but told later of the things that were said.

I have never threatened anyone and it was my first time even deciding something needed to be said.

But after years of observing I am amazed at how different every game is called. You can't teach a child, youth, anyone what the rules are when the referees call there own game. I also believe that if a child is going to play all weekend long, the parents are giving up there whole weekend, spending lots of money, then no matter how tired a referee is at the end of the tournament it is professional if you are wearing that shirt to call the game. You are getting paid. I do believe there needs to be more oversight on referees. I am much more appreciative of a ref who when being yelled at in the stands just becomes deaf. That is a professional. Unfortunately I don't see too many of those.

Bulldog50 seems like to me your getting worse than tunesquad when it comes talking about people. Have you actually tryed being a ref? It's a hard job, And you need to quit bashing people.

Tunesquad or applebutter is a coach. im a player. why dont you stop hateing on me and mind your on darn buisness

I am a 40+ mother who played extensive basketball. I do not remember the refs when I played wanting to be a part of the game. However I am now the mother of two teenage boys who play year round. They have played since they were 5. They both love the game and yet the reffing seems to decline every year. I have taught them both to be respectful to to the refs and let the coach handle any problems. This last year has been a rough one. I have seen numerous games where the refs should be announced with the teams. They make points of making sure everyone knows they are there.

In my own way I had finally had it a few weeks ago at a local AAU tournament. It was late on a Sunday afternoon. Everyone had played numerous games since Friday evening. It was the last game and the championship game. It was clear from the start that it would be a good game. However, the refs were tired and were calling very little. The game starting getting out of hand. (At a tournament in Nashville the same kind of thing happened and my son ended up with a broken arm because no one was blowing the whistle. So I was obviously concerned.) I did sit with my mouth shut while the ref turned around numerous times and yelled at the crowd in the stands. He also gave three technicals to the bench of our team. One was because while sitting on the bench, the asst. coach yelled foul. At the end of the game my son had a black eye and a bite mark on his arm. ( I didn't know about this until after we got to the car). But our team had seven fouls in the whole game and the other team had one. I was appalled by the lack of control and wanted to either call or write the TSSAA. I walked over to the scorers table and very calmly asked the name of the referees. All heck broke out. One ref got in my face, gave me his first name and accused me of threatening him. The other ref called me a name and said I was not worth there time. They then asked me my name which I gave them, the whole thing. I then walked away was but told later of the things that were said.

I have never threatened anyone and it was my first time even deciding something needed to be said.

But after years of observing I am amazed at how different every game is called. You can't teach a child, youth, anyone what the rules are when the referees call there own game. I also believe that if a child is going to play all weekend long, the parents are giving up there whole weekend, spending lots of money, then no matter how tired a referee is at the end of the tournament it is professional if you are wearing that shirt to call the game. You are getting paid. I do believe there needs to be more oversight on referees. I am much more appreciative of a ref who when being yelled at in the stands just becomes deaf. That is a professional. Unfortunately I don't see too many of those.

I understand your concern for your boys safety, but these summer tournaments have nothing to do with TSSAA....so why would you even go to the scorer's table and ask for their names.....Wasted time in attempting to do this.....

I understand your concern for your boys safety, but these summer tournaments have nothing to do with TSSAA....so why would you even go to the scorer's table and ask for their names.....Wasted time in attempting to do this.....

Because they both were wearing TSSAA patches on there shirts and were using there affiliation in response to every thing that was said to them.