CPA Basketball: Did they Under-Achieve

bricedrew

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Underachieve? Ple-ease!! This team probably broke every school record on the books. MC was obviously

hot last night. Congratulations! Give MC more credit rather than dragging CPA down. It's very, very

difficult to get back to state. CPA has been the team to beat all year. That pressure to get back as well

as the motivation for MC to beat CPA is a lot to handle. MC better worry about Lipscomb now. Good luck

to all the CPA seniors in their future endeavors. We enjoyed the ride!

I think sometimes that teams that have been there before lose a little of their fire sometimes. They don't seem to be as hungry. I know they've battled some injuries and the recruiting hoopla for Z can be a distraction at times. I think they miss the seniors from the year before more than folks thought they would. They were a fun team to watch when you weren't on the recieving end of it when they had it going. Big drop next year, that's for sure.

Did Austin East, Howard or Mitchell??? Why single out CPA? As of right now, at least half of the State teams last year will not be returning.

Different year, different team.

The State is everyone's goal, so are there many under achievers? No.

Even good teams have off nights. Too Bad for CPA. No need to consider them under achievers tho.

Any Insight?

ABSOLUTELY THEY DID. (2) 2,000 POINT SCORERS. THEY WENT TO STATE LAST YEAR. I THOUGHT WHEN I HEARD THAT MASON DECIDED TO GO TOWARD FOOTBALL THAT HE COULD LOSE INCENTIVE, IM NOT SAYING THAT HAPPENED BUT I THOUGHT THAT IT COULD .

THE BEST TEAMS DONT ALWAYS WIN. AND CPA WAS MY PICK TO WIN IT ALL. BUT LAST YEAR WHITE HOUSE WAS PROBABLY THE BEST TEAM IN AA AND GOT KNOCKED OUT IN THE SECTIONALS. WHITE HOUSE LOST THEIR COACH BEFORE THE SEASON STARTED LAST YEAR AND HE WAS A COACHING GENIOUS, AND THEIR BEST SHOOTER BROKE HIS SHOOTING HAND WITH ABOUT 5 GAMES TO GO IN THE REGULAR SEASON.

I THINK FULTON AND LA ARE THE FAVORITES NOW. WHERE IS HUNTER MILLER GONNA PLAY IN COLLEGE?

ALSO IN 06 BEECH WAS LOADED WITH SENIORS COMING BACK FROM AN 05 SECTIONAL TEAM, THEY WERE KNOCKED OUT IN THE REGION BY THE PRIMMS FROM DICKSON COUNTY.

MAYBE I SHOULDNT SAY UNDERACHIEVERS BECAUSE I DONT WANT TO RUFFLE ANY FEATHERS BUT ALL THOSE TEAMS IM SURE FELT LIKE THEY DID UNDERACHEIVE.

No big emotional responses;just people responding to an attempted negative spin on a good season.

It wasn't a negative spin, it is a legitimate question. That only required a legitimate answer not all the bellyaching from you are doing. Yes, CPA underachieved. Ask Coach Maddux, ask the players, ask coaches from around the area and they will tell you they are disappointed they are not returning to state. There is nothing wrong with that. They did not meet people's expectations and more importantly there own expectations. It seems the CPA fans seem more embarassed by the loss than anything. Everyone knows CPA was a great team, and no one is trying to bring them down.

Every year, there is a middle Tennessee team that the Tennessean actually covers and writes about (which is giving the Tennessean more credit than they deserve for their pitiful HS coverage). CPA was the men's team and Marshall Co was the women's team. All this did was put big fat targets on their backs. Yes... everyone expected CPA to be the dominant team, but you have to remember that they did not dominate last year. They had some very close wins, and just seemed to have heart to pull out the close ones. That is hard to do two years in a row, especially when you have key leaders graduate.

Four years ago, CPA was a relatively new, small private in Nashville. This team put CPA on the map. Remember.. CPA is D1, so these are not scholarship athletes. These are kids who go to CPA for the academics, location, christian education or whatever. They do not have the ability to recruit talent like MBA, Ensworth, BA, etc... They have nothing to be ashamed of with their supposed underachieving this year. It's basketball.. any given team can win any night. Marshall County was tough competition, and they had a great game, better than CPA (that night).

MC played another great game tonight, but the stars aligned for David Lipscomb. We all know that all three of these teams could win or lose to each other any night, depending on the night. That is why the tournament is so exciting.. you just never know. Talent is the biggest factor, but luck definitely comes into play.

CPA - thanks for entertaining us the past four years, and continue to build your program. Thanks for the memories seniors. Good luck in the future.

This is coming from a 9AA fan that supports a team that has been whooped by CPA quite a few times the past few yeras. I've enjoyed the rivalry! Hope it continues!!

Five years ago CPA was beat on a tip in in the state semis. Four years ago they lost in the sectional game and graduated 8 seniors. Three years ago they were basically all Freshman and were multiplied which moved them up to double A (not exactly a recipe for success). They fired their coach (Brooks) who did good job and hired Maddux. Two years ago Z Mason transferred back to CPA from Davidson where he did not play but attended after he was put out of CPA. They had a really good year. One year ago they lost in the state tournament to a good Dyer Co. team on what can only be called an embarrassment to officiating and the state tournament. They graduated a couple of starters that were role players, but good role players. This year they played a lot of close games not always at full strength and survived for most of the year until they ran into a hot shhooting team. They never really developed new role players to fill in like the last guys. Did they under achieve? In their eyes, I would believe so. In a vast majority of the state that would kill to be in the region semis? No way!

Here's something to think about. Ty Willingham and Charlie Weiss will be debated on how much different their success was at Notre Dame. Couldn't there be the same debate at CPA over Maddux and Brooks' success?