Shingaurds and Cast

soccertime

TSSAA says shinguards have to be NOCSAE approved.(National Operating Committee on Standards for Athletic Equipment)

I understand that when you tell the ref before the game that your players are properly equipped and dressed, that you are giving your word that they have these approved shinguards on. They will not be checking the tags. But you could get yourself a card if it becomes known that a player does not have them on.

As for the cast, as long as it is padded, then wrapped (taped), they should be able to play. I would have a copy of the player's doctor release record with you. I was asked for it by a ref last season. If you have a certified sports trainer, they will probably know how to wrap it best. There just can't be any hard surface of the cast exposed. I had one of my starters in a cast for most of the season last year. He used 1/4" foam wrapped once around, and then cloth tape over that. We tried the bubble wrap, but it made him sweat really bad. No problems whatsoever as long as you make sure the ref knows before the game. I sort of made it look like I was asking permission, and I think they liked that.

Hope this helps.

The inches above and below isn't what to base it on. If the shinguards are NOCSAE approved they will also have a size on them based on how tall the player is. So even if your player has approved shinguards, if they aren't the appropriate size, then they aren't properly equipped.

One problem is that the NOCSAE is on an irritating tag that most of the players have ripped off already. (Don't blame them, it is quite annoying).

Make SURE you have a doctor's note if your player has a cast. I had to provide one for each game. They wouldn't have let my player play if I hadn't presented it to them.

On the Cast issue, like Coach Mike said its best just to go to a physical trainer and get the foam, then wrap it in prewrap and your refs will say your clear. All saying that you have your release form from the doctor. I went through this for around 8 games last year, best of luck with him.

I heard back from a very reputable ref today and he told me that refs are going to enforce the rules on shingaurds this year. Like most things some refs will be very strict and some will not.

He told me that the shingaurds have to start 3 fingers up from the foot and end 3 fingers down from the knee.

I asked him about a player that I measured for shingaurds and according to the rules the players shingaurds would be 12 inch long. The ref told me thats what he needs to wear.

Any other refs out there have a comment? Any coaches hearing these same things?

I am a ref. I read the rules. I don't have them here, but it is size appropriate. If the chart states that it is for the players height and is NOCSAE certified then it is legal. All bodies are different. One player could have short legs another long but be the same height. They wear the same size shinguard. Rule states 2 inches from ankle. Nothing about knee. Hope this helps.

My son had a cast on his left hand last year for a few games. He was able to play in all but 2 games with the cast. We wrapped it and the refs said it was fine. At one game the ref said he never allowed anyone to play with a cast, so they refused to let him. In the other game, it was the first round of the district and that ref also said no one with a cast would be allowed on "his" field no matter how much it was wrapped. Even with a doctor's note, some refs didn't seem to care.