D II Championships

redfan

Posted by redfan:

I am asking for other opinions. It seems to me at least in basketball that the Division II State Championships are no more than region championships in the other classifications based solely on the number of games it takes to win. What do you think? :confused:

Yes, I would agree that's true in both football and basketball in terms of the number of games you need to win. In terms of the caliber of team it take to win state in DII AAA, the basketball seems to be of a lower quality overall than DI AAA, but in football, most years the best team in the state overall is the DIIAAA state champion.

Give me a break, first you and the public football coaches get all the teams they can not beat segregated out like 2nd hand citizens, and now you put us down because we don't have the same number of games. Why don't you go over to DII AAA and see how many "championships" you win. DII has quality not quanity, some thing DI needs more of!

Posted by redfan:

The way the championships are currently set up D II are given the same billing as if to say they went through the same grind to get to the same point when that is not the case.

Most DII AAA football practices are more of a "grind" and against tougher competiton than most of the public schools play. I repeat...the DII AAA football champion is usually the best team in the state. You can't quit playing them because they're too good, then complain that they don't have it tough enough. That's just childish.

I have not said that this system is what I would want. I do know that DII schools have the choice to play in either division. This thread was more to do with basketball than any other sport. The road to Murfreesboro is paved much smoother for DII schools. Believe me - I am not knocking DII schools. Just giving an opinion.

Posted by redfan:

I have not said that this system is what I would want. I do know that DII schools have the choice to play in either division. This thread was more to do with basketball than any other sport. The road to Murfreesboro is paved much smoother for DII schools. Believe me - I am not knocking DII schools. Just giving an opinion.

Then post it on the basketbalkl board! :)

Posted by redfan:

The reason for posting it on this board is that there may be consideration given to the competition aspect if more private schools drop scholarships and leave DII in the future.

Most of the schools currently in DII will never drop financial aid. It's part of their mission to provide opportunity to less privileged kids, and the silliness over athletics will never change that approach.