One of the worst officiated games ive seen

PantherB I agree:

* Bartlett shot itself in the foot the first quarter with turnovers and Central was easily the aggressor.

* Bartlett out played Central the second quarter and Bartlett was easily the aggressor.

* Went away from James the 3rd quarter ??“ but that wasn??™t by design for BHS ??“ Central forced other players to handle the ball and that wasn??™t good for BHS because they couldn??™t get it back to James before turning it over. (not to mention Walker was on the bench to start the quarter with 3 fouls).

* 4th quarter Central was in a stall game which basically wore the Panthers out playing defense for over a minute each possession. (Which was smart on Central??™s part??¦.)

SportsC ??“ don??™t attempt to give the perception that Central was up +50 and just lost focus when Bartlett closed it back to 7 points. Bartlett just played hard and better THAT quarter (unfortunately it takes 4 quarters) ??“ give credit where credit is due.

And to that point (speaking of giving credit): It will be hard for anyone in the state to beat Central (PERIOD). Half court or Full Court! The girls can play. You can easily win the state tournament with 7 players. Hellloooo: The high school game is a game without a shot clock. You get tired ??“ SLOW it down! All 5 of Central??™s starters can handle the ball!

Another note: Destiny James (a freshmen) set out a FULL year due to a Jr. High injury the previous season. I think she did a fabulous job to come back and make the all district and all region team and performed well on the highest division of basketball in the state (considering she didn??™t get released until about a week before the season started). You haven??™t heard the last from the James gang!

At any rate: Central will be fine in the state tournament.

The one thing (IMO) that Central has to be careful of is game number 1??¦??¦ What I call ???The Bright Lights Syndrome.??? If Central doesn??™t get too caught up in the moment and the hoopla of being at the state tournament AND they advance past the first round...... That Green/Yellow locomotive will be hard to stop! The key game (IMO) is the first game and getting past the ???The Bright Lights Syndrome???!

Good luck Memphis Central /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

And the thing with Central is when they stall the ball they won't just hold the ball but rather have skill enough to properly move the ball around the defense. Not many teams can do that without loosing focus and eventually turning the ball over. That could end up serving Central well should then end up in tight ball game.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='DUKnowDaGame?'

Lastly: I don??™t care what anyone on this board says??¦??¦.

FACT: It is UNFAIR to have inner city officials do these sub-state games. I have personally heard some officials talk about how Coach Holmes serves ribs etc etc at his hospitality room during his invitational tournaments and blah this and blah that??¦??¦. Then we have to play DHolmes (Memphis Northside) in the sub-state two years in a row ??“ Heck, All Bartlett has is some popcorn /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" /> /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> . Take what you want from my comments but believe this: It is WRONG to have these ???buddy system??? officials do these games. Get neutral officials from somewhere else in the state that do not have a history with the coaches. And when I say history: I mean GOOD or BAD??¦. Some refs are ready to give a coach a technical or call something ticky on a player based on something from earlier in the season. We just need ???NON-Shelby Metro Virgin Eyes??? to do these games.

Good points... and even though this was in reference to the game out of the Shelby County area, I too saw the worst officiated game which was between between LaVergne & Hillsboro during substate play. The officials were from the Nashville region and it was obvious they were for Hillsboro which is out of Metro Nashville. I agree officials should be from a neutral location who do not have a personal agenda.

I'm not complaining because there is not anything that will change what happened on last Saturday....but I think for the ones who said get over it & move on really miss the point because it's not about us grownups who post, but it's about the young ladies who have worked hard all season, on & off the court to get better and improve their game and then get in one of the most important game of their career and have it taken by a grown adult with a personal agenda. I really don't understand it....My question is what life lesson does it teach our girls.....I'm afraid not a good one.

Anyway....good luck to all the remaining teams...and for you folks out of Shelby County...your teams might be the best in the state tournament, but I'm afraid yall might get caught up in some games that's going to serve up some "home cooking."

I'm not complaining because there is not anything that will change what happened on last Saturday....but I think for the ones who said get over it & move on really miss the point because it's not about us grownups who post, but it's about the young ladies who have worked hard all season, on & off the court to get better and improve their game and then get in one of the most important game of their career and have it taken by a grown adult with a personal agenda. I really don't understand it....My question is what life lesson does it teach our girls.....I'm afraid not a good one.

Anyway....good luck to all the remaining teams...and for you folks out of Shelby County...your teams might be the best in the state tournament, but I'm afraid yall might get caught up in some games that's going to serve up some "home cooking."

The life lesson taught is that unfortunately life itself is not fair. The sooner our young people learn this and how to deal with it the better. Character is what allows us to persevere through adversity. Unfortunately it is adversity which builds character. While it is painful for us to see young people mistreated we cannot focus on what we cannot control. Rather than focus on what they can't control, like referees, tell them to focus on what they can control like rebounds, free throws, whatever. To do otherwise sends the message that "no matter how hard you work, it doesn't matter because someone else can steal your dream." That doesn't mean that they shouldn't write letters or send emails about the officiating, doing something proactive will empower them to stand up for themselves and demand fair treatment--something else our young women must learn to do. Remind them that one day they will have the opportunity to treat someone fairly or unfairly, will they remember this lesson when they decide how to act? Tell them that every athlete hates the trainer when he slaps another 10 pounds on the bar, but when she sees herself in the mirror 6 months later she thanks the trainer. Tell your daughter that the referee in that game is like the trainer--one day you may thank her for making your team play with enough skill and precision to compensate for all of her bad calls! Those of faith know that ALL things work for good for those that love the Lord and whatever God has in store for you no man can take away. If you live like you believe that, they will believe it too.

Good luck to all our young ladies in all their endeavors.

The life lesson taught is that unfortunately life itself is not fair. The sooner our young people learn this and how to deal with it the better. Character is what allows us to persevere through adversity. Unfortunately it is adversity which builds character. While it is painful for us to see young people mistreated we cannot focus on what we cannot control. Rather than focus on what they can't control, like referees, tell them to focus on what they can control like rebounds, free throws, whatever. To do otherwise sends the message that "no matter how hard you work, it doesn't matter because someone else can steal your dream." That doesn't mean that they shouldn't write letters or send emails about the officiating, doing something proactive will empower them to stand up for themselves and demand fair treatment--something else our young women must learn to do. Remind them that one day they will have the opportunity to treat someone fairly or unfairly, will they remember this lesson when they decide how to act? Tell them that every athlete hates the trainer when he slaps another 10 pounds on the bar, but when she sees herself in the mirror 6 months later she thanks the trainer. Tell your daughter that the referee in that game is like the trainer--one day you may thank her for making your team play with enough skill and precision to compensate for all of her bad calls! Those of faith know that ALL things work for good for those that love the Lord and whatever God has in store for you no man can take away. If you live like you believe that, they will believe it too.

Excellent post. Very often easier said than done, though, because I have always hated losing. But, don't most things of real value require a big price?

I guess it boils down to this question: Why do you play the game?

I must agree, Excellent post

I must agree, Excellent post

I got a fortune cookie the other day that simply stated: ???You will be successful in all that you do.??? How simple and vague is that statement? However, I catch myself reading the dang thing every morning as I arrive to work and it seems to add a little pep to my step. Not that I am into fortune cookies or any of that corny stuff. But, the fact is, that little slip of paper reminds me that I have the capability to do whatever I want to ??“ One day at a Time!

My point is this: I totally agree with BBExt??™s message. Sometimes you have to work twice as hard and be twice as good to reap the benefits / rewards that await you ??“ but be aware of the fact that there may be UNFAIR obstacles that could intervene ??“ however, you must press on. Put the extra work in on the court and know that you can accomplish and overcome anything. You may lose a couple of battles but eventually win the war and grow stronger in character as you accomplish your goals. I also agree that you don??™t concede to something that is broke. Attempt to fix it!

Again: I am NOT professing that Bartlett was cheated or NON of that! This post has nothing to do with this past week??™s sub-state game as far as Bartlett is concerned. However, I do think that this referee selection format has been a concern of many in the past and currently.

Let me also add this: I don??™t think that any official intentionally sets out to ???stick it to??? a particular player, team or coach. However, if the ref has been officiating a group of girls for 3 or 4 games during the year and ???chit chatting??? with the coach on several occasions: that official may not be the most non-objective person for that job. He / she could help or HURT that team based on some standard ???human nature??? pre-judging that may occur. An official that hasn??™t seen either team will be more objective and live in the moment and not the past!

Neutral referees in a Region ??“vs- Region area game should be a no brainer! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I read the post by BBallExtreme, earlier today & was very moved, very good post. But it made me also think about a letter one of the coaches at LaVergne wrote to the girls prior to their substate game....her title was The Road to Making The Supernatural Unfold in other words the The Road To MTSU....

I will share bits of the letter....

"Here is a message to Honor the Greatest team, of young ladies in LaVergne's school history...A group that has achieved its level of EXCELLENCE and has gone ABOVE and BEYOND EXPECTATIONS! Saturday will be an evening filled with an array of emotions. We all are EXCITED about our quest toward VICTORY. We as coaches have instilled into you that you should always BELIEVE and that your growth and development depend entirlely on how much CONFIDENCE you have in yourselves. WE THANK YOU!! We thank you for the FIGHT, EFFORT, the DEDICATION and the DETERMINATION. No on ever attains very eminent SUCCESS by simply doing what is required of them; it is the amount and excellence of what is Over and Above the required that determines the GREATNESS of ULTIMATE DISTINCTION. One of the secrets of life is to make STEPPING STONES out of STUMBLING BLOCKS. You as a whole have met the CHALLENGE!! Through all the adversity, you stood FIRM and Changed the IMPOSSIBLE to POSSIBLE." The letter goes on but you get the point.

When I asked my daughter where the letter was because the earlier post by BBallExtreme made me think of it, she said it's under the couch because I was just reading it . I thought, WOW, now that's what I'm talking about. She's thinking about the future and that loss will probably make her & her team better next season....

The letter ended by saying...." Success seems to be largely a matter of hanging on after others have let go!!"

So with that said, Good luck to the remaining teams in each classification and thanks for giving us "grown folks" something to look forward to every Tuesday & Friday night.

Thanks BBallExtreme once again for a great post!!

I read the post by BBallExtreme, earlier today & was very moved, very good post. But it made me also think about a letter one of the coaches at LaVergne wrote to the girls prior to their substate game....her title was The Road to Making The Supernatural Unfold in other words the The Road To MTSU....

I will share bits of the letter....

"Here is a message to Honor the Greatest team, of young ladies in LaVergne's school history...A group that has achieved its level of EXCELLENCE and has gone ABOVE and BEYOND EXPECTATIONS! Saturday will be an evening filled with an array of emotions. We all are EXCITED about our quest toward VICTORY. We as coaches have instilled into you that you should always BELIEVE and that your growth and development depend entirlely on how much CONFIDENCE you have in yourselves. WE THANK YOU!! We thank you for the FIGHT, EFFORT, the DEDICATION and the DETERMINATION. No on ever attains very eminent SUCCESS by simply doing what is required of them; it is the amount and excellence of what is Over and Above the required that determines the GREATNESS of ULTIMATE DISTINCTION. One of the secrets of life is to make STEPPING STONES out of STUMBLING BLOCKS. You as a whole have met the CHALLENGE!! Through all the adversity, you stood FIRM and Changed the IMPOSSIBLE to POSSIBLE." The letter goes on but you get the point.

When I asked my daughter where the letter was because the earlier post by BBallExtreme made me think of it, she said it's under the couch because I was just reading it . I thought, WOW, now that's what I'm talking about. She's thinking about the future and that loss will probably make her & her team better next season....

The letter ended by saying...." Success seems to be largely a matter of hanging on after others have let go!!"

So with that said, Good luck to the remaining teams in each classification and thanks for giving us "grown folks" something to look forward to every Tuesday & Friday night.

Likewise /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

This is how the TSSAA has set it up for years and they are not going to change it. They take the 2 best teams out of each region and match them against the 2 best teams from another region. Like stated before they do this because the 2nd best in one region may be better than best in another region. They give the region champ an advantage by letting them host the game and if the region champ can't beat the 2nd best from another region they don't deserve to go to state.

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BBalElxtreme,

Wow!

That's got to be THE most thought-provoking, inspirational post that I've ever read, here on CoachT.Com!!!!!!!

Are you some sort of motivational speaker or something?

Wow, I almost want to cut-&-paste your post and make it into some sort of wall-poster. Seriously. Your words absolutely struck a deep cord with me, kinda' like one of my all time favorites: "The Prayer of Serenity."

BBalElxtreme,

Wow!

That's got to be THE most thought-provoking, inspirational post that I've ever read, here on CoachT.Com!!!!!!!

Are you some sort of motivational speaker or something?

Wow, I almost want to cut-&-paste your post and make it into some sort of wall-poster. Seriously. Your words absolutely struck a deep cord with me, kinda' like one of my all time favorites: "The Prayer of Serenity."

Awww shucks ! /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

Yes, I am a motivational speaker...I'm a parent and a teacher. /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Another good post and good letter..... /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />