State Tournament Pairing Solution

FirestoneTigers

What happens when your top two teams in the state are from the same district....A few years ago I remember Collinwood and Wayne Co. played for the title in girls basketball. This would eliminate one of them from the get go.

Well with this bracket, that won't happen. Because the last district games possible would be in the round of 16, after that the games are against opponents that are farther and farther away (at least a region away), so as to bring out the best teams from the biggest areas to play for the state.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think TSSAA should copy the way the NBA playoffs are set up. seed the four teams in the West and let them play out and do the same in the east...

#1 West vs.

#4 West

#2 West vs.

#3 West

let that play out and do the same in the east. that way the team that wins the western bracket plays the team that wins the eastern bracket in the championship. i know people are gonna say that the west will be a tougher bracket to get through but not necessarily the case every year. to me this seems the most reasonable way to decide on one true champion.

Your solution does not solve the problem that everyone is talking about nor does it ensure that the best teams make it to the tournament or the finals. Two years ago Temple and CSAS, both region 3 teams, played for the title. Last year, Manassas and Union City played in the finals and they are adjoining regions. Do you really want to limit only one west team the opportunity to make it the finals?

The only solution for some on this board is to just allow teams from the west a trip to the boro because none of the teams from the east can measure up to their greatness. In their opinion this would protect the feelings of those poor boys from the east when they are blown out.

You people that whine because you feel the "two" best teams are playing each other first make the rest of your fans look bad. You show a total disregard for the other six teams that have played hard to get there. We don't know who the best team is, that's why the games are played.

Some of you need to get a grip and a life and just show up and support your team and quit crying like babies.You might also show a little respect to the players, coaches, and fans of those "less" qualified teams.

The only solution for some on this board is to just allow teams from the west a trip to the boro because non of the teams from the east can measure up to their greatness. In their opinion this would protect the feelings of those poor boys from the east when they are blown out.

You people that whine because you feel the "two" best teams are playing each other first make the rest of your fans look bad. You show a total disregard for the other six teams that have played hard to get there. We don't know who the best team is, that's why the games are played.

Some of you need to get a grip and a life and just show up and support your team and quit crying like babies.You might also show a little respect to the players, coaches, and fans of those "less" qualified teams.

The biases on this thread are extremely evident, and I agree with both sides on certain points. A blind draw can really devalue the silver ball (as the west TN people are pointing out), but it doesn't devalue the gold ball (as the middle/east TN people are pointing out...although, if you contend that the draw can't change who will be champion, you don't know basketball). People want the system to make scenarios that are in their own interests. If the east dominated like the west year in and year out, and this year the heavy favorites were from the east and playing each other in the first round, I think you would see the same people posting but saying the opposite. The west TN people would be saying it was fair and quit crying and vice versa. I don't blame the middle and east TN fans for being fed up with the arrogance of the west, especially in regards to single A where the competition is much more balanced than most of the west people think. I have faced the same personal bias every year at the Boro, and good east teams like Temple have gradually BEATEN this out of me. But back to the topic, I don't see any feasible way of changing the system, and a draw is the best solution as of now. Although it won't happen, for fairness I would like to see the region champions alternate who they play for substate (my own bias, since my team plays one of the toughest region champs every year). But as this whole thread proves, life isn't fair. I am thankful that I get to go and watch all the great games every year, and all I can do is enjoy it and hope the best team wins.

The thing that is interesting the way this draw came out is that you have two west teams and two east teams on each side of the bracket. 7 plays 8, 2 plays 3, 3 plays 1, and 5 plays 6. Unless I am mistaken, the first round pits all west teams against each other and the same with the east. You are still going to end up with west vs. east in the second round games.