Has this passed into State Law

whyaskwhy

Home schooling is not about athletics, it is about ACADEMICS.

The failure of NEA controlled school programs since the late'60s. no matter how much money has been thrown at their ideas, is the reason for the increase in home schooling.

Public schools don't accent the three Rs anymore(Readin-Rightin-Rithmatic), just how to get along(social) topics.

Its kind of a scarey situation when one finds an eight year old ex-home schooler that can read better than his third grade public school teacher.

Please Jim, don't lump all public school teachers and schools in the same category. Many of us do our jobs every bit as well as the private sector does theirs. Where would America be without the public schools? Yes, private education would fill the void, but would they educate the masses? Public schools don't have entrance exams to only let in the best and brightest. I can understand home schooling in some situations. I do agree that public education has problems, but those same problems are reflected throughout our society. Therefore, change society and education will reflect that same changes quickly. /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did read the bill and I am opposed to any student not ENROLLED in a public school participating on public school teams. Although all tax payers fund public schools, each school's actual working budget is based on enrollment. When enrollment is down for whatever reason, schools lose those funds. I don't feel it is morally proper for non public school students to further deplete limited resources. The students whose parents trust and rely on public schools should be the beneficiaries of whatever the school has to offer. Parents should not be able to pick and choose from public education resourses, if you want your child to play with the local public school band or basketball team then devote your time and energy into making the school a place where you would feel confident your child is getting a quality education. I speak from experience, I home schooled my own children for two years.

I do not oppose, however, local home school associations organizing teams to compete under TSSAA. The local home school association would accept TSSAA bylaws and oversight just as any other local association (MIAA for example). That way home school students would be able to participate in athletics without public schools bearing the burden.

Again I agree with you BBall. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Please Jim, don't lump all public school teachers and schools in the same category. Many of us do our jobs every bit as well as the private sector does theirs. Where would America be without the public schools? Yes, private education would fill the void, but would they educate the masses? Public schools don't have entrance exams to only let in the best and brightest. I can understand home schooling in some situations. I do agree that public education has problems, but those same problems are reflected throughout our society. Therefore, change society and education iwill reflect that same changes quickly. /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

It has been posted that it is in committee now with two committees. A summary of the bill, designates public schools but public students can change to privates, which is fair, and its unknown what the definition of Public Schools might be if it makes a difference.

I would disagree with one thing only.......Even if the Home school parents are not using public education they are paying for it!

That in my opinion would entitle them to athletics.

As I stated before, if their child is not enrolled in the local school that school does not receive funds to educate that child. A school's budget is based on enrollment.

Imagine this scenario: There are fourteen spots on the girls bball team. 36 girls try out including several home schooled athletes. When the team is selected, thirteen enrolled students are picked, and one home schooled student is picked. I strongly feel that that last spot should go to the student who is enrolled in the school--yes, even if she is a less skilled athlete. Schools don't operate like a cafeteria, pick what you want and forget about the rest. Athletics is only a part of the school experience which is intended to promote fitness, character, sportsmanship, and pride. Families who are committed to the school should benefit from that experience above all others. I have no problem with home schooled students participating, just--as I stated before--on their own teams organized by their association.

Athletics is only a part of the school experience which is intended to promote fitness, character, sportsmanship, and pride. Families who are committed to the school should benefit from that experience above all others. I have no problem with home schooled students participating, just--as I stated before--on their own teams organized by their association.

Agreed with the caveat that the association should also be able to enter co-op agreements if it can't field a team with only its own kids (just as, for example, Eagleville girls can play soccer for Riverdale, or Sale Creek kids in a lot of sports at Soddy-Daisy).

There are lots of home schooled teams now, and teams with a mix of homeschoolers/students from small church schools. The Chattanooga Stars team is a good example, they were competitive against established TSSAA schools this past season. If they want to play, these students should join or form such teams. A team playing out of this area a couple of years ago had several who'd played basketball in middle school or even into high school and had some good results.

Agreed with the caveat that the association should also be able to enter co-op agreements if it can't field a team with only its own kids (just as, for example, Eagleville girls can play soccer for Riverdale, or Sale Creek kids in a lot of sports at Soddy-Daisy).

While I fully understand the Riverdale situation, but logically, why should this be a Riverdale issue alone and why would it not be mostly an Eagleville issue that only has a few players to play and asked a waiver to allow those to play. I really know of no sport that Riverdale needs help in competing and the way Eagleville is growing, that school seems sometime to not have difficulty with players except in specialized sports but whichever sport it is, the school and kids take the risk and the way it works generally is that a few kids , who play, find some other kids and they develop a team with off season training and they have a school team. It may not be world class but thats the starts and it goes from there but to let it to go on to infinity should not be the norm and IF Riverdale gets to the point its enrollment cannot support AAA, they do like some schools in Nashville and Chattanooga and they drop to AA. I don't see that happening with Riverdale but some schools might be overtaken. Now that wasn't your point but the Boro does have very small Church Schools that could support Basketball with homeschooler's but I am unsure soccer would be as easy. There are a large group of small Church Schools who have been there for quite a while that could coop with homeschoolers. Now lets get to the real issue and ,that is, does the TSSAA take care of eligibility for these students and on top of that, say there is a homeschooler that winds up being a great player in whatever sport and there becomes an eligability problem to go to Church School, Public School or for that matter a Private School. Does the proposed law cover that? Certainly the way its written, it implies Public School zoned for.

IMO, most everyone could qualify for that but Church School might not be able to due to location and Private school/Private School with aid, might not be able to work out even if allowed. For those who have not seen small Church Schools play, there are some who have some very highly trained players and teams. Some must have played AAU .ii Does the TSSAA tackle keeping up with all of that or is enough enough. Does the legislature finally say they support a families right to allow homeschool participation in Public School, Private School/Private School with aid, or any other combination that comes up. I tend to agree with Indian or BBE and Their viewpoint because the intent has nothing to do with schooling but extracurricular activities.

While I fully understand the Riverdale situation, but logically, why should this be a Riverdale issue alone and why would it not be mostly an Eagleville issue that only has a few players to play and asked a waiver to allow those to play. I really know of no sport that Riverdale needs help in competing and the way Eagleville is growing, that school seems sometime to not have difficulty with players except in specialized sports but whichever sport it is, the school and kids take the risk and the way it works generally is that a few kids , who play, find some other kids and they develop a team with off season training and they have a school team. It may not be world class but thats the starts and it goes from there but to let it to go on to infinity should not be the norm and IF Riverdale gets to the point its enrollment cannot support AAA, they do like some schools in Nashville and Chattanooga and they drop to AA. I don't see that happening with Riverdale but some schools might be overtaken. Now that wasn't your point but the Boro does have very small Church Schools that could support Basketball with homeschooler's but I am unsure soccer would be as easy. There are a large group of small Church Schools who have been there for quite a while that could coop with homeschoolers. Now lets get to the real issue and ,that is, does the TSSAA take care of eligibility for these students and on top of that, say there is a homeschooler that winds up being a great player in whatever sport and there becomes an eligability problem to go to Church School, Public School or for that matter a Private School. Does the proposed law cover that? Certainly the way its written, it implies Public School zoned for.

IMO, most everyone could qualify for that but Church School might not be able to due to location and Private school/Private School with aid, might not be able to work out even if allowed. For those who have not seen small Church Schools play, there are some who have some very highly trained players and teams. Some must have played AAU .ii Does the TSSAA tackle keeping up with all of that or is enough enough. Does the legislature finally say they support a families right to allow homeschool participation in Public School, Private School/Private School with aid, or any other combination that comes up. I tend to agree with Indian or BBE and Their viewpoint because the intent has nothing to do with schooling but extracurricular activities.

Eagleville is starting their own Women's soccer program. Sorry, but to see women's soccer brought in to this is a little out there. High School soccer does not get you scholarships. It's all in the select program/team that gets you the recognition, so homeschoolers playing soccer for scholarships just doesen't pan out.

As to some of the other posts, now that I don't have a kid in public school, can I quit paying my taxes? I've gone from three cars to two, no more road taxes?

Interesting your comments? Interesting that you don't know who finances and pays for the schools of this state. You think the money just comes from the Wizzard of Oz. You are only looking at things from a very short point of view. If a part of government loses money,where do they get money to start with. If part of tax money goes to education, where does the tax money come from? If dues come from schools and schools get their money from the State, where does the State get their money? You evidently didn't read the TSSAA minutes and not to explain it, you read it and explain what it says. I do agree that privates parents are getting the short end of the stick but they elected to do that, no one forced them to do that and home schooled the same thing. Either were not willing to stay in the system and help demand things get better so now complicating the issue is to provide systems which has as its goals to provide what is trying to be accomplished but with complication that is going to be hard to keep up with. Yes, its true, if you can't prove your point, discredit the messenger.

Go back to the TSSAA meeting minutes and the explanation of them which was posted on this site a few days ago and look at the explanation and then go to the News article on Home schooling which was posted on this site also and then tell those on this site what all of those articles imply and then come back and explain what they mean and who is going to pay for what is done. I wonder with 7 posts if you think you might can go in and out of this site without reading what is going on to keep with it and enter in to a discussion only by thinking you have a story but only to find, you must have missed something. Read it, tell us what it means, and if it is wrong, tell us what it means. One more time, read the minutes of the TSSAA second day. Read a copy of the possible law change on home schooling which you have done because you have posted on it. I agree that the devil is in the details which are not given in full. Tell us how all of this will work if you want to participate here instead of just jumping in and deciding YOU know whats happening but not realizing there is something you may not have read. And without sounding arrogant, maybe I missed something. I can say that without calling posters names, can you?

Also now after reading your link, it only deals with home schooling and not all of the information I posted about. But in the link you posted, under summary first paragraph, define a public school as you understand it. It, possibly, is not as it was understood as one time since moving from public to private is part of the law now and jurisdictions are not as easily defined in all schools.

PHargis I absolutely know who pays for public schools, but tax money does not pay for the dues of TSSAA member schools. Money for athletics does not come from taxpayers other than coaching supplements. The athletic department budgets are determined by the funds they raise themselves through gate receipts, fundraisers or from booster clubs.

I read the minutes and your presentation of them as some kind of huge expense and expansion of a bureaucracy is not at all accurate. The committee that is mentioned as doing the work on determining if a student at a private school is getting financial aid based on need is made up of the school heads of Division II schools. How does having the heads of private schools work on this burden taxpayers? The 3 companies that are used to show proof of financial need are paid for by the private schools, not the TSSAA. This is no cost whatsoever on the taxpayers. I will post the link to the minutes so that others can read this for themselves and see who has the more accurate assessment of this. http://tssaa.org/BoardofControl/Actions/March09.pdf

Your comment about homeschoolers not being willing to stick with the public schools to improve them misses the point for many homeschoolers. Even if you make the public systems as good as they can get they will not be able to offer some of the advantages that those who home educate are looking for, such as teaching from a particular religious perspective. Those that send their kids to private schools or homeschool don't want to see public schools fail just because they have chosen a different option for their children.

As for the number of posts having any bearing on the substance of a post, my answer would simply be that a high quantity of posts does necessarily produce high quality posts nor does a lower quantity of post necessarily produce lower quality of posts. Each post stands on its own merits and I will gladly stand by mine.

PHargis I absolutely know who pays for public schools, but tax money does not pay for the dues of TSSAA member schools. Money for athletics does not come from taxpayers other than coaching supplements. The athletic department budgets are determined by the funds they raise themselves through gate receipts, fundraisers or from booster clubs.

I read the minutes and your presentation of them as some kind of huge expense and expansion of a bureaucracy is not at all accurate. The committee that is mentioned as doing the work on determining if a student at a private school is getting financial aid based on need is made up of the school heads of Division II schools. How does having the heads of private schools work on this burden taxpayers? The 3 companies that are used to show proof of financial need are paid for by the private schools, not the TSSAA. This is no cost whatsoever on the taxpayers. I will post the link to the minutes so that others can read this for themselves and see who has the more accurate assessment of this. http://tssaa.org/BoardofControl/Actions/March09.pdf

Your comment about homeschoolers not being willing to stick with the public schools to improve them misses the point for many homeschoolers. Even if you make the public systems as good as they can get they will not be able to offer some of the advantages that those who home educate are looking for, such as teaching from a particular religious perspective. Those that send their kids to private schools or homeschool don't want to see public schools fail just because they have chosen a different option for their children.

As for the number of posts having any bearing on the substance of a post, my answer would simply be that a high quantity of posts does necessarily produce high quality posts nor does a lower quantity of post necessarily produce lower quality of posts. Each post stands on its own merits and I will gladly stand by mine.

I appreciate the tenor or your response and the evident time it took you to respond after reading,it is obvious, what I read. I will respond just a little later. You did read into some of my concerns and attempted to answer some of the comments. They seem reasonable.

I appreciate the tenor or your response and the evident time it took you to respond after reading,it is obvious, what I read. I will respond just a little later. You did read into some of my concerns and attempted to answer some of the comments. They seem reasonable.

One aspect of your post I believe may be in error. That is about athletic department budgets.

1. While some districts may not have budgeted money for athletics aside from supplements, there are some that each sport at a school gets a certain budget each year from the school's general fund...

2. Many of the athletic cost at schools that have to raise their funds for athletics still have some things covered.

Construction of the field, Electrical and janitorial expenses are still covered by the tax payers.