Has this passed into State Law

whyaskwhy

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would bet that the TEA is lobbying heavy against this one.

Gets into their power base. /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" />

This bill has been assigned to commttees in the House and Senate, but it is a long way from becoming law. The TSSAA has opposed this bill in the past and you can bet the TEA folks are against it because if it passes you will see the number of kids homeschooling through high school grow significantly. Right now many homeschoolers start attending public schools because they can't get the kind of athletic competition they need to be considered for college athletic scholarships if they don't. If they have the option of participating with the local public school athletic teams many more homeschoolers will choose to continue their homeschooling through high school. I support this legislation, but I would be surprised to see it get through the General Assembly.

This bill has been assigned to commttees in the House and Senate, but it is a long way from becoming law. The TSSAA has opposed this bill in the past and you can bet the TEA folks are against it because if it passes you will see the number of kids homeschooling through high school grow significantly. Right now many homeschoolers start attending public schools because they can't get the kind of athletic competition they need to be considered for college athletic scholarships if they don't. If they have the option of participating with the local public school athletic teams many more homeschoolers will choose to continue their homeschooling through high school. I support this legislation, but I would be surprised to see it get through the General Assembly.

For posters information,how does the homeschoolers situation work. Are all homeschooler put in a pool for the schools in a county and then a selection made or is the only way they can compete is get back in the system and compete there. And what is your reasoning for supporting it at this time.

For the TSSAA,it would be just something else to have to keep up with and if not careful it is our tax dollars. First, the TSSAA recognized private schools wanted three companies to calculate aid to private school students so in essence paperwork calculations would come in three ways causing someone to decipher them, so the TSSAA said in the meeting that the private schools would fillout a form provided by the TSSAA so they would have to deal with only one set of facts. Good move, only one set of facts and either the Companies fill those forms out or the Private schools would fill them out. Either way the cost of doing it goes to the originator. Secondly, its found out that the Tssaa still has to go thru the information for aid to verify it which is bad as this is passed to the taxpayers for private school students to receive aid to go to private schools. A tax? And also on the form I would suppose there is a blank for student/athletes and someone needs to look at that. And now, if this homeschooling passes, if I understand it right, homeschooled students who elect to participate in public school activities likely are going to have to be kept up with by the TSSAA also about being able to do so and be responsible for verifying the ability to do so and don't kid yourself, here comes the private schools wanting to get into some of the same clientele and keeping up with it , more taxes. And give them more aid? Is this the Private School Welfare ACT of 2009 for High Tuition Schools? And the TSSAA really had not realized the volume of work the agency was responsible for until reading information put out a couple of days ago at their meeting in Murfreesboro when the aid section for Private schools was explained and someone has to keep with all of that information with the TSSAA along with a committee with the Private Schools. And on top of that also have to be concerned with Student/athletes on top of that. And now I would suspect the same thing would exist with home schooling and the TSSAA is going to be a large bureauracy keeping up with all of these students and then here somes home schooling allowances for private schools for playing athletes to get a schlorship. This seems likely to be getting very expensive. Who is paying for all of this? Lost Time, does all this seem the way it might be? You seem pretty connected in a lot of this. Really, some of these things are very well intentioned for the special interests who they effect but why at the bottom line of these things are possibly one underlying reason, athletics and schlorships? It deserves discussion and while its said adding 3 companies ot verify aid corrected a bad way of doing it with 1 company, let the originators of the policy(its not a law) foot the bill and let the TSSAA examine the way its done for the next 7 months thru August to see the problems. Nothing wrong with putting the services out to bid and choosing one. Must have been some disagreement in the committee who looked at it. This means with the form used by the TSSAA likely all other information concerning aid is left with the school and no verfication with the TSSAA. If thats so, bad agreement. No visability.

Home schooling is not about athletics, it is about ACADEMICS.

The failure of NEA controlled school programs since the late'60s. no matter how much money has been thrown at their ideas, is the reason for the increase in home schooling.

Public schools don't accent the three Rs anymore(Readin-Rightin-Rithmatic), just how to get along(social) topics.

Its kind of a scarey situation when one finds an eight year old ex-home schooler that can read better than his third grade public school teacher.

The failure of NEA controlled school programs since the late'60s. no matter how much money has been thrown at their ideas, is the reason for the increase in home schooling.

Public schools don't accent the three Rs anymore(Readin-Rightin-Rithmatic), just how to get along(social) topics.

Its kind of a scarey situation when one finds an eight year old ex-home schooler that can read better than his third grade public school teacher.

JB, I know. but the new law will allow home schoolers to participate in sports and other extracurriculars.

It's also scary when you talk to a home-school "teacher" who admits to skipping complete sections in Literature because "they didn't have time to fool with it." Who knows what else was skipped.

The problem I have with allowing homeschoolers to participate is the likely possibility of parents pulling their kids to get around eligibility requirements (grades, location of residence, attendance). What if a big time player (or average player) starts getting homeschooled and the parents decide he's better off shooting free throws all day instead of studying?

It's also scary when you talk to a home-school "teacher" who admits to skipping complete sections in Literature because "they didn't have time to fool with it." Who knows what else was skipped.

The problem I have with allowing homeschoolers to participate is the likely possibility of parents pulling their kids to get around eligibility requirements (grades, location of residence, attendance). What if a big time player (or average player) starts getting homeschooled and the parents decide he's better off shooting free throws all day instead of studying?

I have never thought the TSSAA being an agency to have to keep up with all of these things with students and aid and all of that stuff and the only thing I can see is paying taxes for special interest situations. And does the school paying for the companies to figure this aid go tward the aid or who is paying for that service now. I would bet the taxpayers are paying for that. Certainly someone thinks its important and it likely is but if they do that much, the school needs to pay for it and not have everyone else to pay for it. I could be looking at it wrong. I dont think the TSSAA was orginally developed for doing all of this but was developed to monitor eligability of athletes as far as grades are concerned and now it has to do with welfare for scholarships. Is that being done for public schools also? There likely is nothing wrong with doing all of these things but who is going to pay for implementing them and that is the question.

Public schools are expected to do what parents and religious institutions have failed to do--which unfortunately does include teaching children to respect the views and beliefs of others. Other things I, as public school teacher, am expected to do are promote a sense of self-worth to children who feel hopeless, provide school supplies to children whose families can't afford them or don't view school as a priority, motivate students who are failing, hug students who are emotionally and often physically neglected, provide a positive role model for students who don't know the value of education, provide structure to students who often feed, clothe, and supervise themselves, enforce dress codes, teach manners and respect, all while being told I need to limit my instruction to what will be taught on the state mandated TCAP--a test that will be used to determine my value as a teacher and my school's competence as an institution. I am proud of the work that I do as a public school teacher. I teach my students with love and passion everyday. I don't "teach to the test", in fact I inform my students that the TCAP proficiency levels are far below the level of proficiency they will need to compete effectively in college.I look forward to the challenge of reaching all of my students regardless of their race, socio-economic background, religion, learning ability or disability. I try to be the type of teacher that I want for my own children (whom I home schooled for two years). Yes, many of my duties stretch beyond the three R's and they include defending the meaningful work that I do everyday to someone who has the audacity to sit in judgement of my efforts and make blanket statements about my profession and colleagues, someone who probably doesn't do half of what I do to help children, yet feels smug enough to blog with impunity on Coach T. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

For posters information,how does the homeschoolers situation work. Are all homeschooler put in a pool for the schools in a county and then a selection made or is the only way they can compete is get back in the system and compete there. And what is your reasoning for supporting it at this time.

For the TSSAA,it would be just something else to have to keep up with and if not careful it is our tax dollars. First, the TSSAA recognized private schools wanted three companies to calculate aid to private school students so in essence paperwork calculations would come in three ways causing someone to decipher them, so the TSSAA said in the meeting that the private schools would fillout a form provided by the TSSAA so they would have to deal with only one set of facts. Good move, only one set of facts and either the Companies fill those forms out or the Private schools would fill them out. Either way the cost of doing it goes to the originator. Secondly, its found out that the Tssaa still has to go thru the information for aid to verify it which is bad as this is passed to the taxpayers for private school students to receive aid to go to private schools. A tax? And also on the form I would suppose there is a blank for student/athletes and someone needs to look at that. And now, if this homeschooling passes, if I understand it right, homeschooled students who elect to participate in public school activities likely are going to have to be kept up with by the TSSAA also about being able to do so and be responsible for verifying the ability to do so and don't kid yourself, here comes the private schools wanting to get into some of the same clientele and keeping up with it , more taxes. And give them more aid? Is this the Private School Welfare ACT of 2009 for High Tuition Schools? And the TSSAA really had not realized the volume of work the agency was responsible for until reading information put out a couple of days ago at their meeting in Murfreesboro when the aid section for Private schools was explained and someone has to keep with all of that information with the TSSAA along with a committee with the Private Schools. And on top of that also have to be concerned with Student/athletes on top of that. And now I would suspect the same thing would exist with home schooling and the TSSAA is going to be a large bureauracy keeping up with all of these students and then here somes home schooling allowances for private schools for playing athletes to get a schlorship. This seems likely to be getting very expensive. Who is paying for all of this? Lost Time, does all this seem the way it might be? You seem pretty connected in a lot of this. Really, some of these things are very well intentioned for the special interests who they effect but why at the bottom line of these things are possibly one underlying reason, athletics and schlorships? It deserves discussion and while its said adding 3 companies ot verify aid corrected a bad way of doing it with 1 company, let the originators of the policy(its not a law) foot the bill and let the TSSAA examine the way its done for the next 7 months thru August to see the problems. Nothing wrong with putting the services out to bid and choosing one. Must have been some disagreement in the committee who looked at it. This means with the form used by the TSSAA likely all other information concerning aid is left with the school and no verfication with the TSSAA. If thats so, bad agreement. No visability.

PHargis I believe you are well intentioned, but you have no idea what you are talking about in this area. The TSSAA is not supported by tax dollars. Member dues and revenues from TSSAA tournaments pay the costs of the TSSAA. I also have no idea where you got all the stuff about 3 companies to process information about financial aid for private schools. I read the TSSAA by-laws and it bears no resemblance to what you described. Your comment about taxpayers giving welfare to private schools is completely ridiculous. If anyone is getting the short end of the stick on taxes it is the parents home educated and private school students that pay taxes to support public schools and then pay for the education of their own children on top of that. PHargis I believe you mean well, but with posts like these you are running the risk of becoming the Cliff Claven of Coacht.

To get a summary of the bill under discussion follow this link: http://wapp.capitol.tn.gov/apps/BillInfo/B...llNumber=HB0842

PHargis I believe you are well intentioned, but you have no idea what you are talking about in this area. The TSSAA is not supported by tax dollars. Member dues and revenues from TSSAA tournaments pay the costs of the TSSAA. I also have no idea where you got all the stuff about 3 companies to process information about financial aid for private schools. I read the TSSAA by-laws and it bears no resemblance to what you described. Your comment about taxpayers giving welfare to private schools is completely ridiculous. If anyone is getting the short end of the stick on taxes it is the parents home educated and private school students that pay taxes to support public schools and then pay for the education of their own children on top of that. PHargis I believe you mean well, but with posts like these you are running the risk of becoming the Cliff Claven of Coacht.

To get a summary of the bill under discussion follow this link: http://wapp.capitol.tn.gov/apps/BillInfo/B...llNumber=HB0842

Interesting your comments? Interesting that you don't know who finances and pays for the schools of this state. You think the money just comes from the Wizzard of Oz. You are only looking at things from a very short point of view. If a part of government loses money,where do they get money to start with. If part of tax money goes to education, where does the tax money come from? If dues come from schools and schools get their money from the State, where does the State get their money? You evidently didn't read the TSSAA minutes and not to explain it, you read it and explain what it says. I do agree that privates parents are getting the short end of the stick but they elected to do that, no one forced them to do that and home schooled the same thing. Either were not willing to stay in the system and help demand things get better so now complicating the issue is to provide systems which has as its goals to provide what is trying to be accomplished but with complication that is going to be hard to keep up with. Yes, its true, if you can't prove your point, discredit the messenger.

Go back to the TSSAA meeting minutes and the explanation of them which was posted on this site a few days ago and look at the explanation and then go to the News article on Home schooling which was posted on this site also and then tell those on this site what all of those articles imply and then come back and explain what they mean and who is going to pay for what is done. I wonder with 7 posts if you think you might can go in and out of this site without reading what is going on to keep with it and enter in to a discussion only by thinking you have a story but only to find, you must have missed something. Read it, tell us what it means, and if it is wrong, tell us what it means. One more time, read the minutes of the TSSAA second day. Read a copy of the possible law change on home schooling which you have done because you have posted on it. I agree that the devil is in the details which are not given in full. Tell us how all of this will work if you want to participate here instead of just jumping in and deciding YOU know whats happening but not realizing there is something you may not have read. And without sounding arrogant, maybe I missed something. I can say that without calling posters names, can you?

Also now after reading your link, it only deals with home schooling and not all of the information I posted about. But in the link you posted, under summary first paragraph, define a public school as you understand it. It, possibly, is not as it was understood as one time since moving from public to private is part of the law now and jurisdictions are not as easily defined in all schools.

I did read the bill and I am opposed to any student not ENROLLED in a public school participating on public school teams. Although all tax payers fund public schools, each school's actual working budget is based on enrollment. When enrollment is down for whatever reason, schools lose those funds. I don't feel it is morally proper for non public school students to further deplete limited resources. The students whose parents trust and rely on public schools should be the beneficiaries of whatever the school has to offer. Parents should not be able to pick and choose from public education resourses, if you want your child to play with the local public school band or basketball team then devote your time and energy into making the school a place where you would feel confident your child is getting a quality education. I speak from experience, I home schooled my own children for two years.

I do not oppose, however, local home school associations organizing teams to compete under TSSAA. The local home school association would accept TSSAA bylaws and oversight just as any other local association (MIAA for example). That way home school students would be able to participate in athletics without public schools bearing the burden.