high school fast pitch

sportsfan099

I have been a fan of fastpich softball for many years. What I don't understand is why some high school coach's refuse to bunt and play the small ball part of the game? These coach's continue to lose 1 run games and leave players stranded on 3rd base without even attempting a bunt. I don't understand. Maybe it has to do with being a high school coach because you don't see this kind of coaching in summer ball. Maybe bunting isn't the manly way to play, but it beats losing 10 or 12 games a year by 1 run. I've been told that some of these coach's have their own agendas and don't really even know the capabilities of the majority of their players. I certainly hope that a coach wouldn't use his team to only promote his favorite players and not the whole team. Anyway, there are many things I don't understand, this one just doesn't make any sense.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do believe there are some agendas by many head and assn't coaches. No matter how good a player is, if they can't play small ball they won't go far in college. Daddy ball exists in High school too.

A lot of schools don't have the athletes for small ball. You must be able to lay the bunt down and you must have speed to get on or score. Most travel teams can do both. I have no idea what you mean by "Daddy ball exist in High school"as far as small ball goes. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

A lot of schools don't have the athletes for small ball. You must be able to lay the bunt down and you must have speed to get on or score. Most travel teams can do both. I have no idea what you mean by "Daddy ball exist in High school"as far as small ball goes. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

If you'll look at the last 2 or 3 sentences of the original post, the poster is wondering if coaches may have some other agenda such as promoting a favorite instead of the whole team. I'm assuring him that 'daddy ball' is alive and well in high schools in TN.

If you'll look at the last 2 or 3 sentences of the original post, the poster is wondering if coaches may have some other agenda such as promoting a favorite instead of the whole team. I'm assuring him that 'daddy ball' is alive and well in high schools in TN.

I guess I just don't understand "promoting" a favorite player by not bunting. If a player can't lay down the bunt what are you promoting???? If you are trying to give her a chance to do something by swinging away you had better know your player. Many times in game coaches are faced with a chance to score a runner from third. He must know his batter. The "book" may say bunt, but if the batter has gone 3 for 3 against the pitcher, what do you do?????

Having said all that, I am shocked we do not see more small ball in High School. /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

I hear mixed emotions about this all the time. In my opinion bunting and slapping is a very strategic part of the game. It is meant to pull defense off the bases, moves runners, punch the ball by the infield but for me I like keeping the defense off balance. If you have a good power hitting/bunting/slapping team you are going to keep you defense off balance because they never know what you are coming at them with. In the defensive players mind they know you can bunt but if they pull in to much they also know you could turn and hit and they are a few feet from you. That can put doubt in a players mind. You have to prepare your team for that defensively. The short game is VERY important to the game. To play at the next level you better be able to play the short game offensively & defensively.

Situation:

Pinch runner on 1st. (very fast) 1 Out.

Coach:

Gives steal signal for runner;

Gives bunt signal for batter.

Play:

Batter bunts ball in air, caught by pitcher, doubles off runner at first.

Coach fusses, hollers, blames runner for getting doubled up. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

PS: If you call the bunt...........know when, where, how to use it. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Bunting should be part of every practice in high school, in my opinion.

I have seen dozens of games won by just a bunt.

I agree that bunting and slapping should be part of the game if you have the athletes that can run. I know as a coach, in the past we have used slapping as more of a defensive strategy at the plate when you run into a dominating pitcher (especially in the younger age groups). It seems that if you have a dominant pitcher sometimes your defense tends to be weaker because they don't get as much work during games.

However, if a team has the speed to bunt and slap successfully, it ads a whole new demension to the game. You don't need to do it all the time. Just the threat of a fast slapper or bunter can make a defense (and coaches) tight to the point that they make mistakes. That could mean a run or two every game. Maybe you wouldn't be losing those one run games. But I don't think all coaches know how to coach it properly so they ignore that part of the game and sit back and wait on the big hits to come.

I for one think that bunting and slapping makes for a more entertaining game and I wish all teams did it.

Situation:

Pinch runner on 1st. (very fast) 1 Out.

Coach:

Gives steal signal for runner;

Gives bunt signal for batter.

Play:

Batter bunts ball in air, caught by pitcher, doubles off runner at first.

Coach fusses, hollers, blames runner for getting doubled up. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

PS: If you call the bunt...........know when, where, how to use it. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Any coach that would give a straight steal and a bunt at the same time is an idiot. Just for that reason.

I agree that bunting and slapping should be part of the game if you have the athletes that can run. I know as a coach, in the past we have used slapping as more of a defensive strategy at the plate when you run into a dominating pitcher (especially in the younger age groups). It seems that if you have a dominant pitcher sometimes your defense tends to be weaker because they don't get as much work during games.

However, if a team has the speed to bunt and slap successfully, it ads a whole new demension to the game. You don't need to do it all the time. Just the threat of a fast slapper or bunter can make a defense (and coaches) tight to the point that they make mistakes. That could mean a run or two every game. Maybe you wouldn't be losing those one run games. But I don't think all coaches know how to coach it properly so they ignore that part of the game and sit back and wait on the big hits to come.

I for one think that bunting and slapping makes for a more entertaining game and I wish all teams did it.

Any coach that would give a straight steal and a bunt at the same time is an idiot. Just for that reason.

My daughter is a junior in college and is an excellent hitter and bunter. It takes a lot of work to learn to be an efective bunter and it is not taught or practiced enough at the high school level.