Coach Darden Out at CAK

shnikens

If you were not aware, Coach Johnny Darden was let go Monday from his coaching position at CAK after 6 years of service to the school. Darden led the Warriors to the state tournament in only his second year, but wins were hard to come by after that.

A shortage of talent and a change from class 1A to 2A the year after their state title run made his job difficult. However, his teams ALWAYS improved, ALWAYS played their best at the end of the season, and ALWAYS played to their potential. Many of the "allegations" against his coaching style brought by people in the institution that fired him simply did not contain any merit and some of them were flat-out lies.

Johnny Darden is an excellent coach and an even more excellent Christian man. If you do not know him, you are missing out. I can only hope to be half the man he is.

Please post a message in support of Coach Darden.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i agree 100%

Coach Darden is a great coach and person. CAK has made dumb decisions in its past, but none dumber than this. Influenced by parents, the AD who has been here all but 9 months made a pretty big (and stupid) decision. The statements that were made by Steve Denny in his reasoning for firing darden were untrue and mainly based on people telling him biased statements. Im deeply ashamed I ever went to this messed up establishment but would do anything to play another year for Darden. Hope he finds somewhere else to coach. A school that would respect what hes done and what hes capable of doing.

The fact that CAK would even think about letting Coach Darden go just goes to show how little the school knows about the guy. He was a great coach and a wonderful person. He was different in the way he approached the game than most people, but that does not mean he should be fired. He cared for his players, wanted their best, and demanded it from them. He should get upset when he does not receive it. The problem is, there are to many spoiled kids that go to CAK and who can complain to mommy and daddy that someone criticized them. That is all it takes for rich parents to get up and get someone fired. I loved playing for coach, i have played for many coaches, but none of them cared about me as much, loved to coach as much, or had a passion for the game as much as coach D. He will be missed and this is the most stupid thing CAK can ever do. Love you coach D!

Another odious move by CAK's athletic department. It just goes to show that no matter the heart, hard work and talent of someone, CAK will take the side of the rich parent and in all reality, a whiney kid over the very example of what the school SHOULD stand for. Good coaches are hard to come by for this very reason and hopefully, this will be the mistake that helps a spineless athletic director learn his lesson. I'm sure CAK will go buy a coach but only time will tell how that goes. I'd bet money it doesn't turn out well. Unfortunately, the close minded and greedy mentality of the administration at CAK gives a bad name to all the good, amazing people associated with the place who pour themselves into the school year after year.

CAK should be ashamed and embarrassed at this decision! I played for Coach Darden all four years i was at CAK (my last being the 07-08 season), and could not have asked for a better coach. The certain board members, parents, and the AD who made this decision have nothing credible to support this decision. I'm not oblivious to the fact that the past few seasons the teams' records have not been impressive, but lets be honest the talent level on those teams were not exactly great. Coach Darden got THE MOST out of the talent he was handed. For those who are upset that Coach Darden was critical of them I say to you- How stuck up could you be? This man demanded the best from you, and this is how you return the favor. For those parents of those kids I hope you never raise your voice to your kids. Actually, I'm sure you don't. You are a perfect parent with an even more perfect child. To those in the administration- ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND? Look at this man's resume. He only as around 600 wins, and lets not forget he lead us to the state tourney not too long ago, but I'm sure you'll find someone with that experience. I heard another argument attacking Coach Darden's integrity. This makes me madder than anything else. Coach Darden was a great Christian Mentor to me. He always had a Bible verse and a prayer before every practice. Our spiritual well-being was deeply important to him. After each season Coach takes the seniors out to lunch. At this lunch, he wants to make sure his kids do not fall into the many new temptations they will see in college. How CAK could under appreciate someone who is as high of quality of a person and coach as Coach Darden is beyond me. It is a shame that this small minority who didn't like Coach Darden got their way. I LOVE YOU COACH DARDEN!!

I should say that I'm surprised by this, but I'm truly not. CAK has become a place where class and integrity take a back seat to W's and L's. As someone who attended the school and couldnt be any more proud of the man it made me, I am ashamed to say that the school that I hope to one day work for could do this to a man that has put his heart and soul, and lets not forget returned a very short while after having successful cancer surgery, into the basketball program that HE built at CAK. Any success that the CAK basketball team has had, it has been because of Johnny Darden. Coach Darden is a great man who always greets me with a smile and a handshake, asks me how I am doing and always makes it a point to tell me how much he liked having me around. This is not the first time that I can recall a great man of God who just happens to be a great coach as well being ousted because of parental influence and the "powers that be" seeing too much green and I am sad to say that this will probably not be the last.

As a rival coach, I was shocked to hear that Coach Darden was let go. I'm not sure what CAK is looking for, but they let a great coach slip through their fingers. Coach Darden did a great job developing that program and having those kids ready to play. By the end of the season CAK was playing well and they had a great chance at competing for the 4AA title next year. But it's the same tune that's becoming all to familiar, let the boosters and parents run the program while the coaches take a back seat. If the administrators at schools (I'm talking about all schools not just CAK) grew a backbone and supported their coaches people would be shocked at how well any program would develop. People want 25 wins, blow out victories, and their kid to play the whole game and average 20 plus points at the same time. Teams thrive when players and parents are willing to accept their roles and play for the team. I guess there is an I in team after all! Good luck Coach Darden.

Coach Darden is a great coach and an even better man. He is not phony nor a "sexy" hire. He is real and genuine in a place that could use a great dose of both. He was out of his league in playing political games with certain parents and administrators. Coach D did not see things that way. He loved the Lord and kids and the game. All of these things were evident. He is a winner and it was obvious to his detractors that they better get him out now or he would make him I mean them look bad. His team was on the right track and improved greatly throughout the season. His detractors sat in the stands and whined about things. They were experts on basketball. They told many lies and half-truths. His detractors always moved the target of what was expected from him. He took a bunch of kids with little experience and toughness and made them competitive at the end of the season. For him to face cancer and adversity from parents and the ad Denny and not lose those kids was amazing. One parent promised to get him out and he succeded. In the end Kirk Naler and others will lose as well as cak. Coach Darden may be out but he always kept his faith and integrity. He has 599 wins and will win from this as well. Coach Darden is the ultimate winner.

Coach Darden is my favorite coach. I unfortunately only had his leadership in my life for my senior year. But what a senior year it was. Coach Darden improved my game unbelievably. I only regret I couldn't have spent all four of my high school years playing under him.

He is a great man too. Near the end of my senior year playing under him, he took me out to lunch. We talked about my future, and he gave me advice on college, women, life, and following Christ. I'm ashamed that CAK let him go.

Let's hear a big BOOOOO for CAK.