Coach Darden Out at CAK

shnikens

Coach Darden Coached at Carter throughout the 90's and early 2000's. He is a great man, a great coach and a person you can depend on. Coach may not be the best coach in the world, but I wouldn't trade him for the world. I was sad when he retired from public school to move to CAK, but it was a move that was beneifical to himself and his family! I will alway support Coach Darden no matter where he coaches or where ever this world takes him!

Coach Darden will be missed

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is going on at CAK??? They hire a new Athletic Director this year and suddenly the coaches are leaving. Isn't it a mystery why there are all these sudden changes under the new AD? The state championship girls' soccer coach is leaving. The girls' basketball coach is leaving. An assistant baseball coach is leaving, and now the boys' basketball coach is asked to resign. Huh??? Other coaches and some teaches are planning to leave at the end of the year. Are we sure about the school's name....CHRISTIAN Academy of Knoxville????

What is going on at CAK??? They hire a new Athletic Director this year and suddenly the coaches are leaving. Isn't it a mystery why there are all these sudden changes under the new AD? The state championship girls' soccer coach is leaving. The girls' basketball coach is leaving. An assistant baseball coach is leaving, and now the boys' basketball coach is asked to resign. Huh??? Other coaches and some teaches are planning to leave at the end of the year. Are we sure about the school's name....CHRISTIAN Academy of Knoxville????

Well I have not heard about all of these people leaving as you have, but here is what I do know...

Pifer left for a college coaching position, which is where he was before he came to CAK, so why blame CAK when a coach tries to get into a better situation?

Haven't heard that hoch is leaving, but it wouldn't shock me...I figure that he is in town as long as his kid pitches at UT, then he goes back west.....Is he the baseball coach you are talking about?

As far as Darden, I think he is a good coach and I personally cannot speak about the situation, because I am not a basketball fan and I do not know what happened.

I will say this...everyone who gets into coaching should know that they are going to get fired!!!

Well I have not heard about all of these people leaving as you have, but here is what I do know...Pifer left for a college coaching position, which is where he was before he came to CAK, so why blame CAK when a coach tries to get into a better situation?Haven't heard that hoch is leaving, but it wouldn't shock me...I figure that he is in town as long as his kid pitches at UT, then he goes back west.....Is he the baseball coach you are talking about??  As far as Darden, I think he is a good coach and I personally cannot speak about the situation, because I am not a basketball fan and I do not know what happened.?  I will say this...everyone who gets into coaching should know that they are going to get fired!!!

Yes, most coaches take into account that they are going to get fired. But, in this case, there was no wrong doing on Coach Darden's part. His team will do well next year, and he will get no credit for it.

As for Pifer, it doesn't matter whether he was coaching college before he came to CAK. Unfortunately, neither you nor I know all the details on his situation, so neither should comment. All I know is there are going to be several positions CAK will need to fill for next year, and that is not a coincidence.

Let's focus on positive comments for Coach Darden.

When I heard that Coach Darden had been fired from CAK, I was filled with pure shock at the stupidity of CAK. Coach Darden was the best coach i had ever had, and not only helped me improve my abilities and talents as a basketball player, but helped me improve myself as a christian man. He inspired me and encouraged me even when I was down and upset at my abilities. He always wanted the best from me and pushed me in order to improve my talents. Coach Darden is solely responsible for my improvement, and the only reason that I was anywhere near as good as I was my senior year. Without him I would have been a horrible basketball player. CAK needs to learn something about athletics they seem to be missing...IT ISN'T ALL ABOUT THE WINS AND LOSES!!! and secondly, PARENTS NEED TO STAY OUT OF THE WAY OF GOOD COACHING!!! Good gracious! Just because a bunch of winey kids complain about someone addressing an issue about their skills is no reason to have a GOOD coach like Coach Darden fired! It is STUPID!!! I am ashamed to say I went to a school that let go of a coach as good and as honorable as Coach Darden!

Most of the things that I wanted to say have already been said on this thread so i will try to not be repetitive. My sophmore year of high school we had 5 seniors and 4 juniors, we lost the first round of region. My junior year Darden became the new coach. 5 seniors and 1 junior, we lost the first round of region. But in only his second year with only 1 returning starter Coach Darden brought a group of guys together and made us a team. As far as I know we went 4 games further than any CAK team had ever gone. Without Coach Darden I can say without a doubt in my mind that that never would have happened. The point I'm trying to make is my senior season we had less tallent and less experience than either of the teams the two previous years, but Coach Darden was able to accomplish what no other coach at CAK could, and I think I can speak for the rest of the players on that team in saying that we had a lot of fun doing it. I could not have asked for a better coach or leader than Coach Darden and I thank God that I had the opportunity and privilege to play for him. To those of you who complained that he was too hard on you, the only thing I have to say is: grow up.

Love you Coach.

I'm not really a basketball guy, but myself and my family have known Coach Darden for decades. He's one of the last of a great generation of basketball coaches. He's an amazing teacher of basketball and an even better person. I have no clue of the situation over there at CAK, but I find it hard to believe that Coach Darden did anything that merits termination.

If he chooses not to retire for good, I would assume that some local basketball team is going to pick up quite a leader.

???The supreme quality for leadership is unquestionably integrity. Without it, no real success is possible, no matter whether it is on a section gang, a football field, in an army, or in an office.??? -Dwight D. Eisenhower

Darden was a good leader, a good coach, and a good man. He will be sorely missed.

Coach D,

Thank you for your work, but most of all thank you for your example.

By the way, Coach Darden WAS fired. In no way was the decision his choice. The headline of this article (altho fairly pro-Darden) and other things you hear (possibly from those that don't want CAK to look so bad) may lead you to believe he left because he resigned. That is not the case.

Please keep posting in support of Coach D. I know he appreciates everything that is being said.

Thanks.

It is so refreshing to see all the positive posts on this site for a change. Most of the posts are usually negative or head in that direction fast.

I don't know Coach Darden, but by reading the posts from his former players I have no doubt he is a great coach and man. The players know when a coach truly cares about them and has their best interest at heart. You can't fool them.