CAK 2009

JuniorsDad

I personally know Shipley and Nonnack. Everything Nonnack has said up to this point about Shipley could not be more untrue. Shipley is physically and mentally ready to handle Tn class AA football. You hear about NFL and college players who didn't start playing until their junior or senior years. Now I'm not saying by any means he is that caliber of a player, however, were talking about Tn high school football. So him not playing for two or three years is not going to be a hard obstacle to overcome.

Honestly, I would be shocked if Shipley were smaller than 6'2 200 lbs. If Shipley were 6'1 170 lbs, he would still be bigger than two DE's that are expected to get playing time this fall. I promise you as far as the weight room goes Shipley is holding his own with the other expected starters. He may not be the strongest, but I guarantee he does not stick out as someone who is not physically ready. I also believe someone else stated that he was doing great as far as conditioning went with 4 qtrs and 110's.

Mentally speaking why would you not want someone who has been apart of two state championship teams. Like FD said that kind of player should be warmly welcomed. And nonnack should not be calling the soccer players foot-fairies. The soccer team knows as much if not more about winning and playing as a team than anyone else within CAK athletics. I am not a soccer player by the way, but I can honestly say the soccer team is nothing but class. So no one especially nonnack should imply or say anything condescending or derogatory towards a program that is well deserving of any praise that they receive.

Shipley is a great kid who wants to be part of something special at CAK. I'll be surprised if he does not contribute in a big way this fall. He is more than physically and mentally ready to contribute to the CAK football program.

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally know Shipley and Nonnack. Everything Nonnack has said up to this point about Shipley could not be more untrue. Shipley is physically and mentally ready to handle Tn class AA football. You hear about NFL and college players who didn't start playing until their junior or senior years. Now I'm not saying by any means he is that caliber of a player, however, were talking about Tn high school football. So him not playing for two or three years is not going to be a hard obstacle to overcome.

Honestly, I would be shocked if Shipley were smaller than 6'2 200 lbs. If Shipley were 6'1 170 lbs, he would still be bigger than two DE's that are expected to get playing time this fall. I promise you as far as the weight room goes Shipley is holding his own with the other expected starters. He may not be the strongest, but I guarantee he does not stick out as someone who is not physically ready. I also believe someone else stated that he was doing great as far as conditioning went with 4 qtrs and 110's.

Mentally speaking why would you not want someone who has been apart of two state championship teams. Like FD said that kind of player should be warmly welcomed. And nonnack should not be calling the soccer players foot-fairies. The soccer team knows as much if not more about winning and playing as a team than anyone else within CAK athletics. I am not a soccer player by the way, but I can honestly say the soccer team is nothing but class. So no one especially nonnack should imply or say anything condescending or derogatory towards a program that is well deserving of any praise that they receive.

Shipley is a great kid who wants to be part of something special at CAK. I'll be surprised if he does not contribute in a big way this fall. He is more than physically and mentally ready to contribute to the CAK football program.

Yes great scott...yes

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting dialog regarding Shipley between some guys who seem to have been acquainted with him. I don't know him, haven't seen him play ball, have no idea how big, strong, fast, etc... he may be, nor do I know anything about his work ethic. What I do know is that a school as small as CAK needs every able body that can play football to join the team. I also know that CAK's soccer team has won 6 state championships in 7 years! Anybody off that team should be welcomed on the football team. Regardless if they know how to play football, they know what it takes to win, how to train, and how to work as a team. Additionally, anyone coming from a team with that many wins and championships should be able to bring an attitude that teaches other players to "expect to win" rather than "hope to win". I'm not a soccer fan, but I have the uttmost respect for what the soccer program at CAK has accomplished. I say to "Shipley", bring that winning spirit, bring that edge, bring the expectation to win, bring some intensity, bring a strong work ethic or get one in a hurry, bring a chip on your shoulder, and bring your A game. I say to "the team", welcome all new teammates, bust their chops, push them to be better, learn from their strengths, help them improve their weaknesses, and lets get serious about getting better! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> Can't wait til season gets here!

FootballDad said all that needs to be said.

I have no clue what Sheila is talking about. I am not aware of any baseball players (that didn't graduate) that are leaving the football program. In fact, we all know of several that will likely start or get major playing time.

Just the opposite, IMO over time I expect the baseball program to be a substantial asset to the football program and vice versa. I think having coach Pharr will likely attract some student athletes who can contribute in more than one sport. I think coach Wells will have the same effect. When I look at the transfer of students from other areas to other schools, it is apparent to me that CAK is not getting nearly as many transfers in as some of the other privates and public schools, despite a very competitive football program over the last several years. Perhaps some of these changes will help in this regard.

I have no clue what Sheila is talking about. I am not aware of any baseball players (that didn't graduate) that are leaving the football program. In fact, we all know of several that will likely start or get major playing time.

Just the opposite, IMO over time I expect the baseball program to be a substantial asset to the football program and vice versa. I think having coach Pharr will likely attract some student athletes who can contribute in more than one sport. I think coach Wells will have some of the same effect. When I look at the transfer of students from other areas to other schools, it is apparent to me that CAK is not getting nearly as many transfers in as some of the other privates and public schools, despite a very competitive football program over the last several years. Perhaps some of these changes will help in this regard.

Here is a clue Govolsknox

I was told this morning that very few, if any, baseball players played other sports at farragut. I was thinking the fall would be important for those baseball guys that play football and they might have to give up football.

Here is a clue Govolsknox

I was told this morning that very few, if any, baseball players played other sports at farragut. I was thinking the fall would be important for those baseball guys that play football and they might have to give up football.

Sheila, thank you for the clue. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> I understand your point. It sounded as if you were indicating you had specific information that someone was quitting football or maybe you just have a general concern for the future of our football program. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> I kind of doubted that you knew of a specific player or players that were quitting due to several factors, including that I don't know that coach Pharr would have even met with the players yet!

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that in a 6A school with roughly 2300 students (we can assume around 1200 males) that there are more kids playing one sport exclusively as compared to a 3A school (including the multiplier) with around 400 kids, about 200 of which are male. Having the best athletes in the school play more than one sport is absolutely critical to a small school, particularly a small private school facing the multiplier. I don't believe that the athletic director, who's background is private school, and who is charged with building all of CAK's athletics will encourage any coach pushing the majority of his players at CAK to only play one sport. They have to co-exsist for CAK to be successful. Time will tell.

Sheila, thank you for the clue. I understand your point. It sounded as if you were indicating you had specific information that someone was quitting football or maybe you just have a general concern for the future of our football program. I kind of doubted that you knew of a specific player or players that were quitting due to several factors, including that I don't know that coach Pharr would have even met with the players yet!

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that in a 6A school with roughly 2300 students (we can assume around 1200 males) that there are more kids playing one sport exclusively as compared to a 3A school (including the multiplier) with around 400 kids, about 200 of which are male. Having the best athletes in the school play more than one sport is absolutely critical to a small school, particularly a small private school facing the multiplier. I don't believe that the athletic director, who's background is private school, and who is charged with building all of CAK's athletics will encourage any coach pushing the majority of his players at CAK to only play one sport. They have to co-exsist for CAK to be successful. Time will tell.

Very good thoughts I may join you on the limb after reading you post!

Sheila, thank you for the clue. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> I understand your point. It sounded as if you were indicating you had specific information that someone was quitting football or maybe you just have a general concern for the future of our football program. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> I kind of doubted that you knew of a specific player or players that were quitting due to several factors, including that I don't know that coach Pharr would have even met with the players yet!

It won't work any other way GoVols-the greater pressure may simply be the practicality of work out schedules for football, travel baseball, academic rigor, etc at CAK-how many students can do all of that and play more than 1-2 sports? It's tough. The last three sport guy was two years ago.

Honestly, I think both Coach Bradley and Coach Pharr will bump heads a little bit over players. I know at Farragut unless you were a stud at baseball Coach Pharr wouldn't let his players play another sport. Now I think Coach Pharr understands that he won't be able to operate that way at CAK, however, he is going to demand a lot out of his baseball players. From what I understand Coach Pharr puts his players through rigorous off-season training at Farragut. And by rigorous I mean its very time consuming and sport specific. He will require players to long-toss, hit in the cages, throw bullpens, in-field work, field maintenance, and weightlifting. So if a kid is playing football or basketball he will quickly fall behind his baseball peers. All this to say Coach Pharr treats baseball the same way Coach Bradley treats football, as a true year round sport. If both coaches had their way, they would have players only play their sport.

It won't work any other way GoVols-the greater pressure may simply be the practicality of work out schedules for football, travel baseball, academic rigor, etc at CAK-how many students can do all of that and play more than 1-2 sports? It's tough. The last three sport guy was two years ago.

I agree completely 4Warriors. Although, I personally prefer my kids be involved in year round athletics. Whether that is one sport played / practiced year round, or several sports that divide up the year. I believe that it teaches kids alot about commitment, time managment, establishing priorities, setting and obtaining goals, and I could go on. There is also some wisdom to keeping teenagers very busy, without too much free time on their hands, particularly as they are getting older and that free time involves less parental supervision. I know there are some kids that can't handle the academic demands, particularly at a school like CAK, and still pursue year round sports. It's not right for everybody. But for those who can, I think it will pay dividends. I know when my kids have been really busy, I have seen them grow from it. There is an old saying: If you want something done, give it to a busy person.