Move Evidence that TSSAA needs to change schedule

LeatherBalls

Baseball and softball teams should not be allowed to playing games until April 1st unless they can go to some pre-season tournament in Florida. It is absolutely ridiculous to play and practice in the dead of winter. All this is is a continuation of these wannabe's and has beens parents who dream through their kids. You either got or you don't. How many big leaguers do you know that come out of Tennessee and why do you think the UT softball team is composed of Californians. Baseball and softball is meant to be played in the spring and summer not winter.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whether the baseball season is moved back a couple of weeks or not, you can make the case that the basketball post season drags on forever. Most districts and regions have 8 teams or less. It takes 3 games to determine a champion. Monday, Thursday and Saturday let's say. Do that 3 weeks and you are done with basketball and releasing players the first of March instead of the end of March. I agree with extending the post season into June a couple of weeks. The shortest season of the big 3 is baseball and it is the one that is more often than not adversely affected by weather. It's not rocket science.

Whether the baseball season is moved back a couple of weeks or not, you can make the case that the basketball post season drags on forever. Most districts and regions have 8 teams or less. It takes 3 games to determine a champion. Monday, Thursday and Saturday let's say. Do that 3 weeks and you are done with basketball and releasing players the first of March instead of the end of March. I agree with extending the post season into June a couple of weeks. The shortest season of the big 3 is baseball and it is the one that is more often than not adversely affected by weather. It's not rocket science.

I agree with the comments about basketball, and I've never understood why baseball players can play 4-6 games a week but those precious basketball players need their breaks. Anyone ever seen a double header basketball game? But it's not just high school basketball. I mean, March madness is ending on April 6. The NBA playoffs last 6 months (sarcasm, but you get the point).

The basketball season stretches too long, and I have always felt like baseball gets rushed, too. But I've come to the realization that baseball, at least in the state, is the whipping boy of high school sports. But if you look at the list of pro football, basketball and baseball players from this state, it tells a different story. Thank goodness for good coaches!

I agree with the comments about basketball, and I've never understood why baseball players can play 4-6 games a week but those precious basketball players need their breaks. Anyone ever seen a double header basketball game? But it's not just high school basketball. I mean, March madness is ending on April 6. The NBA playoffs last 6 months (sarcasm, but you get the point).

The basketball season stretches too long, and I have always felt like baseball gets rushed, too. But I've come to the realization that baseball, at least in the state, is the whipping boy of high school sports. But if you look at the list of pro football, basketball and baseball players from this state, it tells a different story. Thank goodness for good coaches!

While I understand that pitchers need rest between starts, to compare the exertion of basketball games to baseball games is stupid. Quality baseball programs currently are year round. As an athletic director, it is almost to the point that the TSSAA ought to regulate the off-season work out more than they do in baseball. The baseball players have a total of 8 weeks a year off from the sport, two 3 week dead periods in the fall and a 2 week period in the summer. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

While I understand that pitchers need rest between starts, to compare the exertion of basketball games to baseball games is stupid. Quality baseball programs currently are year round. As an athletic director, it is almost to the point that the TSSAA ought to regulate the off-season work out more than they do in baseball. The baseball players have a total of 8 weeks a year off from the sport, two 3 week dead periods in the fall and a 2 week period in the summer. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

Really? we are off the entire month of august half the month of july and half the month of sept then we find somehwere to play about 6 weeks of fall ball so we are off half of october all of nov and dec and then pitchers and catcher report in jan and we dont play til feb scrimmages and games start mid march

basketball is the one that seems like they are not off my 13 year old is playing aau he started playing in oct or nov with his team and aau goes til july and he isnt even on a school team yet

Yep I've got one that plays 3 sports and basketball is the time eater. Team camps start in June, 2 week dead period, AAU in July, workouts and Metro Fall League until practice starts in October, regular season until the middle of February and post season until the end of March, AAU tryouts and then high school tryouts. Basketball is absolutely year round.

Baseball should be played in May, June and July. It's a dang summer sport!