TSSAA 50% Rule What does it mean, is it enforced?

area1guy

What does TSSAA 50% rule really mean. I see more and more full school squads in these weekend tournaments that are not AAU sanctioned, but run under AAU age rules. Even if they are coached by a parent, does the rule apply? Does the rule apply to rising 8th graders who will be on freshmen and JV squads next year?

I would have to go read the rule again but it basically says that no more than 3 basketball players from a school could play together. Who is coaching makes no difference. However, I believe the rule states "prior to the season." Therefore, "prior" to the season would mean from the time school year begins until the season starts. Right now would be"after the season." Hope this helps.

What does TSSAA 50% rule really mean. I see more and more full school squads in these weekend tournaments that are not AAU sanctioned, but run under AAU age rules. Even if they are coached by a parent, does the rule apply? Does the rule apply to rising 8th graders who will be on freshmen and JV squads next year?

This rule only applys in the Fall of the year if i'm not mistaken. During the spring you can have your full squad together but they cannot be coached by the head coach or asst. coach. The rule does not apply to 8th graders because its meant for the fall of the year and those 8th graders would be freshman in high school then so they would fall under it but only after school started back. Hopefully this helps

50% Rule ??“ Applies to basketball, baseball, and softball. Participation (includes practice or games) during the school year on a non-school team prior to the school season by students that will play the following season on the high school team is limited to 50% of the number of players required to play the game (3 in basketball, 5 in baseball, 5 in girls softball). Only the specified number of students participating on a non-school team prior to the school season may be placed on the high school eligibility list the following season.

50% Rule ??“ Applies to basketball, baseball, and softball. Participation (includes practice or games) during the school year on a non-school team prior to the school season by students that will play the following season on the high school team is limited to 50% of the number of players required to play the game (3 in basketball, 5 in baseball, 5 in girls softball). Only the specified number of students participating on a non-school team prior to the school season may be placed on the high school eligibility list the following season.

So does it apply to spring or not? Prior to the next school season is now....

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Announcements

• Recent Posts

• They’ve both gotten worse. I’ve seen enough games to know that. 
    • The only two transfers that Bearden has gotten that went on to play college football were a defensive back from Karnes, who transferred here way before the new coaching staff got here, and a running back from Carter, who went on to play at Maryville College. Both players received those offers while at Bearden, and both players got a diploma from Bearden High School. Therefore, they are Bearden kids, and you can’t do anything about that.   The transfer from Seymour didn’t win the job, what do you expect two quarterbacks to start at the same time? He played great on JV when he could stay healthy, and when he came in on varsity, he did great. The quarterback position is definitely going to be in good hands when the current starting quarterback leaves, but until then, they’re just going to be battling it out like every good quarterback competition does. The current starting quarterback has his flaws, and that is in the pass game, but what he doesn’t have flaws is running and scrambling, and if you go back and watch any game, which I’m sure you didn’t watch any, we used him very often, and when we needed a deep ball, we brought in the transfer from Seymour. The starting quarterback last year will be a senior this year, and the Seymour transfer will be a junior, so the Seymour transfer is definitely going to get his spotlight. He may even win the job this year. Football isn’t about who the newspaper thinks is the best kid. The best kid in the position will win the starting job, and I trust the coaching staff more than a newspaper or article to pick my starting QB.
    • I mean, we’ve only gotten two transfers that went on to play college football, one who went to UT Martin came his second semester junior year before the new coaching staff was here, and the other one went on to play at Maryville College, in which I don’t believe he had any interest prior to transferring.
    • An FYI: To see how an opponent has done against another opponent since 2001- go to the game by clicking on one of the teams. Click the G beside the game. For example, Milan: The info will show you the previous matchups and other info.
    • All these college signees went yo other schools for 3 years, were getting college offers then transferred to Bearden. It’s not like this staff did much to develop them.    The BBall coaches son and the Seymour transfer were some of the most talented QBs in the region, and you guys developed them into QBs who might complete one pass a game.