Spring Football -v- Academics

gatorbillmsu

Can you folks tell me what is common at other schools for Spring football?

a) How many practices a week?

/cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" /> How long are the practices?

c) Are all practices mandatory, or are there passes given for Academic reasons?

d) are there limits set by TSSAA that govern how many practices and how long they can last, etc?

I would appreciate as much info as I can get here.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The TSSAA rule is that from when you start you have 15 days to get 10 days in. You get 10 practice days in the spring. We practice for 2 and a half hours. We have 8 practices and 2 scrimmages, one being an intersquad game as a fundraiser. We are out by 5:45 every day, usually. I don't think there is a practice length rule but if it goes over 2 and a half it is a waste anyway. As far as mandatory practice, that is up to the coach. If I have one in academic trouble he will be in mandatory study hall and doesn't dress in the spring. He will be in study hall during practice time. Academic passes are up to the coach as well. These are case by case basis but academics should be top priority.

Can you folks tell me what is common at other schools for Spring football?

a) How many practices a week?

/cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" /> How long are the practices?

c) Are all practices mandatory, or are there passes given for Academic reasons?

d) are there limits set by TSSAA that govern how many practices and how long they can last, etc?

I would appreciate as much info as I can get here.

Well some of it depends on the school or the coach.

Like for Rhea Co. we practice mon-fri 3 to 5 or 5:30 maybe a little longer, and there is one or two spring scrimmage too. Wednesday we try to get the players out early to go to church.

As for being mandatory for the most part it depends on if the player is in another sport, they have bad grades, or is doing something like a play for theater class or something. If none of that applies then it is highly recommended that the player be there, or the coaches may think that player quit.

There are limits set by the TSSAA its like you get 10 days of off season practice and 2 scrimmages in a 15 day period. Also you and the other school has to practice 3 days before both can scrimmage.

Thanks warrior and rhea co. Here is what I am dealing with, and this is not my kid, but a kid that I know very well. (lets just put it that way)

Strength and Conditioning has been going on all off season. The kid has been attending, and has not missed a session. Kid is also running track, so there are days where workouts are doubled.

Spring ball is going. Kid is participating in both track and spring ball. Football practices go from 3pm-6:30, sometimes 7pm. The kid has been diligent. He is likeable. He is hardworking. I am not in those practices, but other kids who are have told me that this kid has been working his tail off and is a great teammate.

The kid went to his coach (assist coach has been running spring ball) and told him that he is having some trouble with classes, asked if there was a way he could get a break to get his grades up. Coach went all "toughguy" with the kid (I have 2 independent witnesses) and it came down to "practice or quit". The kid quit. It was the right thing to do, because grades are more important than sports, but I do not understand how it comes to this.

I have played a lot of football. I have coached a lot of football. I coached at a school where football was life. It was everything. But grades always came first.

I dont get it. Is this team so desperate to prove that it isnt a failure that they are willing to sacrafice kids futures in the process?

I will be in contact with the schools principal later today. I just wanted to check to see if I was that far out from reality on this one.

Thanks.

Thanks warrior and rhea co. Here is what I am dealing with, and this is not my kid, but a kid that I know very well. (lets just put it that way)

Strength and Conditioning has been going on all off season. The kid has been attending, and has not missed a session. Kid is also running track, so there are days where workouts are doubled.

Spring ball is going. Kid is participating in both track and spring ball. Football practices go from 3pm-6:30, sometimes 7pm. The kid has been diligent. He is likeable. He is hardworking. I am not in those practices, but other kids who are have told me that this kid has been working his tail off and is a great teammate.

The kid went to his coach (assist coach has been running spring ball) and told him that he is having some trouble with classes, asked if there was a way he could get a break to get his grades up. Coach went all "toughguy" with the kid (I have 2 independent witnesses) and it came down to "practice or quit". The kid quit. It was the right thing to do, because grades are more important than sports, but I do not understand how it comes to this.

I have played a lot of football. I have coached a lot of football. I coached at a school where football was life. It was everything. But grades always came first.

I dont get it. Is this team so desperate to prove that it isnt a failure that they are willing to sacrafice kids futures in the process?

I will be in contact with the schools principal later today. I just wanted to check to see if I was that far out from reality on this one.

Thanks.

I'm with the coach on this one. The kid should have thought about his grades way before April. Now he wants to pretend he's going to "study real hard and get his grades up" /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=" while the rest of the team goes out and works their can off. So we are to assume that while the 2or 3 hour practice going on he is going to be locked in his room smothered in academia, learning in 10 days what his tail should have been doing all year. Its rediculous. The truth be known he will probably be burning up the road if he can drive or sitting at home playing video games. I guess i'm too much of a realist. If the son of a gun is too lazy to get his grades up during the year then why lie to ourselves and believe he will do it now. Just let the old boy squeak by and play football. I doubt it sacrifices his future. What the kid should have done was quit track early in the year. It would have been much less painful on his teammates who are depending on his services in football. Looks like he chose track over football, which is fine. But don't take it out on the coach. Maybe he lives in a reality where you make your choices and live with them. I applaud the coach for standing up to a society that believes everyone is entitled to something. That no one should ever be let down or feel bad. That you are responsible for yourself and mommy and daddy aren't always going to be there for you and rub your boo boo and make it all better. The young man learned a valuable lesson. One that will help him later on in life when he becomes president because he got to study a little more and get his grades up during spring practice.

Thanks.

It really should not be up to an assistant coach to make a call of practice or quit. I mean the head coach should be making those decisions, but on top of that the head coach should make the player attend after school study hall, like we do at Rhea with our players. Also if it is bad enough I don't know if they offer summer school there, but the player could attend summer school if they do offer it. The coaches' priority is always to make sure the players grades meet the standards. I don't think the player should have to quit, but his grades should come first too. I see this alot it kills the players not being able to practice in the spring, and typically they get motivated to study harder that way they can play in the fall. Also the head coach should work with the principal or vice principal and his teachers too to get his grades up. The school should always want to help the kid with his academics.

hope it works for you.

I'm with the coach on this one. The kid should have thought about his grades way before April. Now he wants to pretend he's going to "study real hard and get his grades up" /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=" while the rest of the team goes out and works their can off. So we are to assume that while the 2or 3 hour practice going on he is going to be locked in his room smothered in academia, learning in 10 days what his tail should have been doing all year. Its rediculous. The truth be known he will probably be burning up the road if he can drive or sitting at home playing video games. I guess i'm too much of a realist. If the son of a gun is too lazy to get his grades up during the year then why lie to ourselves and believe he will do it now. Just let the old boy squeak by and play football. I doubt it sacrifices his future. What the kid should have done was quit track early in the year. It would have been much less painful on his teammates who are depending on his services in football. Looks like he chose track over football, which is fine. But don't take it out on the coach. Maybe he lives in a reality where you make your choices and live with them. I applaud the coach for standing up to a society that believes everyone is entitled to something. That no one should ever be let down or feel bad. That you are responsible for yourself and mommy and daddy aren't always going to be there for you and rub your boo boo and make it all better. The young man learned a valuable lesson. One that will help him later on in life when he becomes president because he got to study a little more and get his grades up during spring practice.

THIS

is the space that I had typed up a reply to your post. And then I realized that I dont need people like you wasting my time. Have a good life. If possible.

It really should not be up to an assistant coach to make a call of practice or quit. I mean the head coach should be making those decisions, but on top of that the head coach should make the player attend after school study hall, like we do at Rhea with our players. Also if it is bad enough I don't know if they offer summer school there, but the player could attend summer school if they do offer it. The coaches' priority is always to make sure the players grades meet the standards. I don't think the player should have to quit, but his grades should come first too. I see this alot it kills the players not being able to practice in the spring, and typically they get motivated to study harder that way they can play in the fall. Also the head coach should work with the principal or vice principal and his teachers too to get his grades up. The school should always want to help the kid with his academics.

hope it works for you.

I have messages in to the coach, assist coach, principals. The kid has been busting his tail, both at practice and with the books. I guess it just bothers me because I knew what this kid was putting in to make this work. And I know that he is not the only kid that is having the same problems at the school.

I am not certain that the school will have enough kids left to put on a decent practice in the fall.

Anyways, I have always seen it the way you have put it here in your post. Im not trying to throw the coach under the bus here, he has a team to run. But it IS a school first, and a sports program second. I will keep investigating this one, and see what I turn up.

thanks for the info. much appreciated.

/thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

You and people like you that think football is king is whats wrong not the kids. So what you are saying is "be a quiter"? The kids that want and do play different sports should not have to choose between them.

I have messages in to the coach, assist coach, principals. The kid has been busting his tail, both at practice and with the books. I guess it just bothers me because I knew what this kid was putting in to make this work. And I know that he is not the only kid that is having the same problems at the school.

I am not certain that the school will have enough kids left to put on a decent practice in the fall.

Anyways, I have always seen it the way you have put it here in your post. Im not trying to throw the coach under the bus here, he has a team to run. But it IS a school first, and a sports program second. I will keep investigating this one, and see what I turn up.

thanks for the info. much appreciated.

/thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Don't worry, the coach that is telling the kids about commitment will soon leave to take the first job that opens up. " If he thinks he can win" Coaches are always talking about commitment but they send a resume to every school that has an opening.

Read the post greasers. If the kid is struggling with his grades it didn't happen overnight. He should have gotten that stuff taken care of early in the semester instead of waiting to use it as an excuse to get out of spring ball. Hey, maybe the kid just wants to quit football and needed an excuse. You guys can use that "get my grades up"crap on somebody who will listen, and evidently his coach ain't one of them. And yes, I do think football is the king and should take priority. I don't condone quitting a sport in the middle of the season so you can go to spring practice but thats not what this is about anyway. This is about a kid who ran track with bad grades then decided to lay out of spring practice to get his grades up. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=" Oh, yea...congratulations on getting messages to all the proper authorities poindexter. I'm sure that will fix it.