Ref/Admin meeting speach

CoachMikeLHS

I had something very intersting happen when I was being addressed by the ref with the other coach, and our team captains last night.

All the usual stuff went down, and then the ref proceeded with this ditty.

Coaches...you coach. Since that is what you do good.

Players.....you play. Since that is what you do good.

And I will ref, since that is what I THINK I DO GOOD.

Of course I know him, so I chuckled a bit. As did everyone.

Then he told us that he would be alone, with no AR's, and not to gripe about too much.

He said, sometimes he will make a call, and the players will throw a fit. Or the coaches will throw a fit.

It happens all the time. And basically what he says, goes. So give him a break.

He continued..

Sometimes, I will see a player standing in a certain place, or not moving to where he should, and I think to myself..What is he doing?? Is he crazy? What was the coach thinking putting him in there??!!??

But he will never yell at the coach during the game and question his tactics. He won't stop the game and tell the player how he should have made an overlapping run, or he should have dropped the ball, because there was an open player right behind him.

Since he wouldn't be doing that, he would appreciate if we didn't tell him how to do his job.

I just thought that it interesting. I have never heard anything like that before a game. I am a certified ref myself, and I think about telling players and coaches stuff all the time. But I don't

GO TIGERS!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had something very intersting happen when I was being addressed by the ref with the other coach, and our team captains last night.

All the usual stuff went down, and then the ref proceeded with this ditty.

Coaches...you coach. Since that is what you do good.

Players.....you play. Since that is what you do good.

And I will ref, since that is what I THINK I DO GOOD.

Of course I know him, so I chuckled a bit. As did everyone.

Then he told us that he would be alone, with no AR's, and not to gripe about too much.

He said, sometimes he will make a call, and the players will throw a fit. Or the coaches will throw a fit.

It happens all the time. And basically what he says, goes. So give him a break.

He continued..

Sometimes, I will see a player standing in a certain place, or not moving to where he should, and I think to myself..What is he doing?? Is he crazy? What was the coach thinking putting him in there??!!??

But he will never yell at the coach during the game and question his tactics. He won't stop the game and tell the player how he should have made an overlapping run, or he should have dropped the ball, because there was an open player right behind him.

Since he wouldn't be doing that, he would appreciate if we didn't tell him how to do his job.

I just thought that it interesting. I have never heard anything like that before a game. I am a certified ref myself, and I think about telling players and coaches stuff all the time. But I don't

GO TIGERS!

Great Post.............And Sooo true.

Not a bad idea. When I have reffed I have had the same idea to point out the coach's mistakes.

I think the point that most fans/coaches/players seem to miss is that refs almost never really effect the outcome of the game. I know some people will argue that point, but the last poorly officiated game we had it wasn't just against us, it was like every call was backwards. We fouled them, we got the ball and vice versa. The guy just doesn't know the game that well. Did him missing calls hurt us? Sure. Did it hurt the other team? Sure. Did it change the score? Not really.

The thing I tell my players and parents is that the officials are going to stink (which isn't completely accurate, but that isn't my point) and we either have to let it go and just play the game or we can let it change the way we play and the way we behave and focus and that only hurts us.

Let me know if any of you have ever gotten a ref to change a call by yelling and screaming at them. I've never seen it and I've played or coached in Knoxville for 25+ years. And sadly some of the same refs from when I played are still reffing and they have not gotten a whole lot better.

Coach Mike, I heard the same speech last week, so I'm pretty sure I know which ref you had last night.

As for soccerdevil's question, I have seen some calls overturned by players or coaches arguing with a ref. The worst was in a region semifinal game about 6 years ago, that I remember very clearly. A ref signaled for a PK for a hand ball in the box. The player who committed the foul ran at the ref and yelled at him saying it was uninitentional. To my complete shock, the ref decided to have a drop ball in the box at the spot of the handball. Needless to say, I yelled a little, but for some reason my yelling was the normal type, meaning it got ignored by the ref. At half, I went directly over to speak with the ref, and I said I had never seen a call, yet alone a PK overturned by a player arguing with him. His response was he hadn't ever overturned one before either, but that he didn't think a game this important should be decided by a PK.

I would be upset if a refree apolgized before a match for the bad calls he/she might make. Referees can win/lose matches for your team. They should be given the respect they deserve because of this authority, not beg for it during the coin toss. I would expect a ref to know the rules and call 'em as he/she sees 'em. As has always been the case, the best refereed games are the ones where you don't notice their impact on the outcome.

I would be upset if a refree apolgized before a match for the bad calls he/she might make. Referees can win/lose matches for your team. They should be given the respect they deserve because of this authority, not beg for it during the coin toss. I would expect a ref to know the rules and call 'em as he/she sees 'em. As has always been the case, the best refereed games are the ones where you don't notice their impact on the outcome.

Sorry, but I did not take the refs pre-game as apologizing for bad calls or for begging for your respect. I took it as an honest assessment of the situation.

Ooh my gosh, A ref that talks to coaches and is honest with them....and all he gets is slammed for the attempt by coaches.

Sorry, but I did not take the refs pre-game as apologizing for bad calls or for begging for your respect. I took it as an honest assessment of the situation.

Ooh my gosh, A ref that talks to coaches and is honest with them....and all he gets is slammed for the attempt by coaches.

Exactly. How can the players respect the refs if the coaches dont? We had that ref also at the Lions Cup and he didn't feel he had to ask for respect from our team and coach. We had a bad call because all we had was him as the center ref and no others. He called a goal for a ball that didn't go in (even the other team knew it didn't go in). Bad calls happen but refs are in short supply so you work with what you have. And what possible motivation is there for anybody to consider to begin to ref when they are so hated? My son had a middle school kid call him a F-ing stupid ref....and then everybody screamed when he got a yellow card. In my opinion he should have received a red for that language. Then the kid that was cussing like a sailor started crying and the coach started raising cain.

There is a lack of respect from alot of teams that begins with the coach. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> If you blame the refs and excuse your players for acting badly this sport is going to suffer when the refs finally say enough is enough and run out of their give a darn. They pay really is not worth the grief they get.

Wait...I typed in haste. Not all coaches slam or blame the ref for everything that goes wrong. But there are a few that blame the ref for everything that goes wrong with their team in a game and the refs know who you are.

Coaches and refs have the same problem. There are just enough bad apples on both sides to make everybody look bad at times. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> and thats a shame.

Wait...I typed in haste. Not all coaches slam or blame the ref for everything that goes wrong. But there are a few that blame the ref for everything that goes wrong with their team in a game and the refs know who you are.

Coaches and refs have the same problem. There are just enough bad apples on both sides to make everybody look bad at times. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> and thats a shame.

Yes, you are right it is just a few bad apples and everybody knows who they are