Help with a call

dcsoftball

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Runner on 1st and 3rd with 2 outs. High chopper hit down the first base line, pitcher catches the ball and tags the batter for the 3rd out. In the mean time the runner on 3rd scores before the tag. Does the run count?????

No, batter/runner must reach first for the run to count. This is not a timing play.

No, batter/runner must reach first for the run to count. This is not a timing play.

I agree that the run should have not counted. The runner going to first is a force play. Any third out due to a force play negates the run. If the runner had reached first and then been tagged out for rounding the base, the run counts if runner going home scores before the tag.

Regardless, umpires are human and are going to make mistakes. When I am coaching, I try not to point out to them when they have made the mistake. The higher object is to take bad calls out of the game by trying to make good plays and score enough runs.

they counted the run? Are you sure the play was explained correctly? This is a no brainer question here there is no way 2 umpires would allow that run to count ,

Yep, they did. Two outs, runner on 3rd, batter lobs down first baseline, pitcher grabs and tags runner for 3rd out. Other team's coach argued that run counted because he crossed before tag AND explained that once he made tag it took the force off the runner coming from 3rd home. ????????????????????????????????

I thought 1st base was ALWAYS a FORCE OUT. ???? Makes no sence to me at all.

Yep, they did. Two outs, runner on 3rd, batter lobs down first baseline, pitcher grabs and tags runner for 3rd out. Other team's coach argued that run counted because he crossed before tag AND explained that once he made tag it took the force off the runner coming from 3rd home. ????????????????????????????????

I thought 1st base was ALWAYS a FORCE OUT. ???? Makes no sence to me at all.

that was a shady call, but so was that double play, when #28 for Dyersburg slid into 2nd and they said he didn't avoid contact, one of the runs didn't count, AND both the batter and # 28 were out.

that was a shady call, but so was that double play, when #28 for Dyersburg slid into 2nd and they said he didn't avoid contact, one of the runs didn't count, AND both the batter and # 28 were out.

but they made same call against us later so....... /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> we just shouldn't have let it get that close to matter. Like I said on another thread.....maybe it will give our guys a swift kick in the rear to get them fired up again. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

but they made same call against us later so....... /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> we just shouldn't have let it get that close to matter. Like I said on another thread.....maybe it will give our guys a swift kick in the rear to get them fired up again. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

yeah i read it, but this gives Dyersburg a load of confidence going into district. i just hope they don't get too ahead of themselves.

and when they made the call on Dyer County, he REALLY didn't avoid contact, he just ran into the base. #28 actually slid, he did what he was supposed to do.

yeah i read it, but this gives Dyersburg a load of confidence going into district. i just hope they don't get too ahead of themselves.

and when they made the call on Dyer County, he REALLY didn't avoid contact, he just ran into the base. #28 actually slid, he did what he was supposed to do.

In all honesty I didn't see either one that well. I was focused more on the runner to first, missing the play at 2nd. Would LOVE to see both teams succeed into the state playoffs.......that is possible right?

In all honesty I didn't see either one that well. I was focused more on the runner to first, missing the play at 2nd. Would LOVE to see both teams succeed into the state playoffs.......that is possible right?

i suppose its possible. lets just get past district 1st

How about this call.

Runner on 1st and 3rd no outs. Ground ball up the middle, defensive player makes the force out at 2nd and then throws to 1st for the dlb play. 2 outs and the runner scored. No interference called on the play, coach of the defensive team complains to the field ump, he then calls interference on the runner going to 2nd because he didn't slide. He did not interfere with the fielder turning two as he turned it anyway. Runner at 3rd had to go back and took a run off the board. How do you justify taking the run back? There was never any attempt to make a play at home as they played to turn two and give up the run but yet the run was taken away?

Craziest thing I have ever seen. I could see it if it had impeded the fielding team in any way but it didn't. The only advantage came when they took our run off the board.