When should the Coach step aside?

thenomad

All of these openings in girls' basketball is outragous. When is it time for a head coach to step down from their position? Should they step down when their family situation changes? Should they step down when the students show a lack of interest? Should they step down when the team consistently loses?

Why are all of these coaches leaving or being let go? Has our society put to much pressure on our coaches?

I think that coaching jobs have become too political. You have people in each community that think they know what the game is about. The coach gets too much blame when things go bad.

Parents are not there to support the coach or the team too often they are just there to see their kid play.

If the team gets beat by 40 and their girl scores 20 then they are happy.

Being a coach used to mean something to a community. In this culture the coach is simply the person that lost the game or that the team won in spite of.

I'm all for having high standards if a coach has a level of talent on their team that should be competitive and they don't compete or they are flawed with their morals then sure fire them. However, I've seen many let go due to their W-L record in schools that have little or no chance of winning due to talent.

Something needs to give here though because fewer and fewer people are wanting to deal with coaching and the game is suffering because of it.

I think that coaching jobs have become too political. You have people in each community that think they know what the game is about. The coach gets too much blame when things go bad.

Parents are not there to support the coach or the team too often they are just there to see their kid play.

Being a coach used to mean something to a community. In this culture the coach is simply the person that lost the game or that the team won in spite of.

I'm all for having high standards if a coach has a level of talent on their team that should be competitive and they don't compete or they are flawed with their morals then sure fire them. However, I've seen many let go due to their W-L record in schools that have little or no chance of winning due to talent.

Something needs to give here though because fewer and fewer people are wanting to deal with coaching and the game is suffering because of it.

Excellent post. However, what can be done? It's like telling pro athletes that we are going to cut their salary. They are so use to having it, they just find someone who will pay it. The community is now use to being in charge of the system. If someone tries to buck it, they get someone else. Unfortunately, like you said, fewer people want to deal with coaching!

I know in our community they bash our girls coach. She has won a region and been to the state tournament but they still complain about her. It's like that all over our county! People that don't support the program seem to me to be the cause for many teams struggles.

I think that coaches in high school should be able to sign contracts for periods of time that would give them some coaching job security. Or allow them to earn tenure as a coach the way teachers earn it. I'm not really sure but I'm pretty certain that I don't want to coach anytime soon!

Good post. I know a school that was number 1 in state. They were not happy, the wrong

kids were scoring the most. Well now they are happy, the right ones are playing and

they finished about 53. These young coaches come out of college, think they know

everything, and run in to these athletes, and tough nosed parents. This is a disaster

waiting to happen. Well I think we need athletic boards, in every county and school

system, made up of older people, with no parents of current athletes, allowed. This

board would report to the superintendent, and offer advise for improvement.

They would help the coaches, and also deal with the parents of athletes, making

sure everyone got a fair shake, and worked as a team. This could work I have

heard nothing better. It ain"t working now. These boards would be volunteers

knowledgeable of athletics, older, they already know about life. (Retired)

Good post. I know a school that was number 1 in state. They were not happy, the wrong

kids were scoring the most. Well now they are happy, the right ones are playing and

they finished about 53. These young coaches come out of college, think they know

everything, and run in to these athletes, and tough nosed parents. This is a disaster

waiting to happen. Well I think we need athletic boards, in every county and school

system, made up of older people, with no parents of current athletes, allowed. This

board would report to the superintendent, and offer advise for improvement.

They would help the coaches, and also deal with the parents of athletes, making

sure everyone got a fair shake, and worked as a team. This could work I have

heard nothing better. It ain"t working now. These boards would be volunteers

knowledgeable of athletics, older, they already know about life. (Retired)

A coach should step aside when that move is the best thing for the program and the team members. A move like this allows the coach to leave with respect and dignity. I would say a couple of losing seasons with a mediocre schedule would be a good time to leave a team too.

A coach should step aside when that move is the best thing for the program and the team members. A move like this allows the coach to leave with respect and dignity. I would say a couple of losing seasons with a mediocre schedule would be a good time to leave a team too.

If you read the thread for Lady Panthers under Girls Basketball, the question will get answered.

So, lovedahoops, a coach needs to leave as soon as he faces tough critism? I don't think that would be very helpful. Then we would be searching for coaches every other year just about. When will society get over this idea of win and win NOW! Most schools are not powerhouses. Never have and may never be. Shouldn't people be a little more patient and see if things can get turned around. Parents are only worried about their ked playing, not how good they are. My parents always explained to me that I might not be the best. If I wasn't, I had to work a bit harder to out work the other player if I wanted a chance. WHERE HAS THE HARD WORK GONE?!?!?! Kids expect everything with out giving their best effort.

So again, when should a coach leave? When it's right for them or when no one will play?

While I may not be right, my spin is a little different. It is the principal that monitors the situation and/or the AD who understands the coaching part of the Athletic program. Many times the principal has been a coach. Every situation is different. Understanding the program and how the players are being trained to compete in the High school is the Coaches responsibility and the AD and Principal's job to keep up with. Losing seasons and a mediocre schedule is a lack of oversight and danger signals for inattention and lead to lack of attendance and a lot of strife. My spin also is that if the student is interestred, the parent is interested and provide most of the time for the resources. For a school or coach or principal or AD not to see the needs be provided and insist MS and Elementary programs coaches and Principals have some interest, shows a lack of interest and should be step one for evaluating the performace. After reading of situations concerning strife in programs, likely nothing makes a parent more concerned in being asked to support a program in many ways and the students and school not performing correctly.

On the other hand the parent is not riskless and must realize there is more to Athletics that just play time. It doesn't guarantee a spot. BUT my observation tells me if the first theings are done by the coach, AD and principal and if the player and parent are acceptance of summer programs, practice and the program that is presented and the attitude it right, the rest will fall in place.

If everything is not done, a way of calling attention to concern should be available to the student/athlete without intimidation to help him/her provide corrective action. Not providing that will destroy communication. I have read and posted what I consider a good plan if indeed it is not just words and its on the Ravenwood Web site which every school in the District signs off on and outlines the responsibilities of coaches, players and parents. Coaches are people too and might get in to situations they should not be interested in. Oversight and communication takes care of a lot of things and school spirit means a lot to a High School.