NEW STATE COACHES POLLS RELEASED

FridayMainEvent

Few of the private schools can compete with the money of MBA, MUS, Baylor, BA, McCallie, etc. That is why most go to the smaller division.

Well like I said, I don't know the answer, but something really should be done. Off the top of my head you will have MUS, CBHS, Briarcrest, and St. Benedict in the West and you will have MBA, Father Ryan, BGA, Baylor, BA, McCallie, Webb (I believe still large?) and that is it. I could be forgetting someone but that is 11 teams vying for a state championship. It is so watered down. Most year, this year being a possible exception, any of these teams could be thrown in with AAA and hold their own. Notice I said hold their own, not run the table. Even in the exception year a few could still compete with the AAA schools. I just think its disappointing that each championship is so diluted.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree USJ will (or should) win DII small state convincingly every year. I don't know what exactly the answer is but there needs to be some sort of realignment in DII. There are far too many small schools compared to the big schools.

isn't JCS also going DII small??? they are no slouch and will compete every year.. won class a title last year

"Sure, I see your point about the timing of the polls. The win over Blackman was early in the season, though. Also, Beech's loss to Oakland was during tournament play. In fact 3 of the Buc's 5 losses came in tournament play. So, based on your theory about tournament play, those losses should not even be a factor. Beech had a single district loss, to Mt. Juliet...at Mt. Juliet. Going into the series with Mt. Juliet, neither team had a district loss and our regular season record was better. So, it is still hard for me....a parent/fan....to not question Mt. Juliet being ranked over BHS.

Regardless of the polls, the Bucs still have work to do. So, their focus is where it should be on the tournament games ahead and the road to State Tournament. Go Bucs! "

Mt. Juliet in the last few years has a better track record than Beech.... years back, during the 90's Beech usually won the matchup... since Coach Purvis took over the Bear program they have several trips to the state tourney, Beech has had Zero... rankings usually follow the current "tradition" when there is a question of who is better - the proof will come out in the next few days - who wins the district tournament is what counts anyway.. then you go from there... as for tournament play - i did not say it wasn't a factor, i said it wasn't a true indicator... if you have your #5 pitcher going against another teams #5, that doesn't prove much either way in my opinion... Quite frankly, MJ's schedule was a little tougher than Beech's schedule - if you don't believe me check it out -

Thu Mar. 19 at #25 Bartlett Lewis Harris L 6-7

Thu Mar. 19 #3 Collierville N at Germantown L 3-4

Fri Mar. 20 at Germantown Lewis Harris Memorial Tournament L 7-8

Sat Mar. 21 #4 Christian Brothers N Lewis Harris L 2-8

Sat Mar. 21 #5 Houston N Lewis Harris L 0-10

Fri Mar. 27 #20 Science Hill N Warrior Spring Classic at Mt. Juliet W 6-5

Beech hasn't played that many good non-district teams in 3 years, much less 1... MJ did it in a matter of just a couple of weeks... all of those teams have won state championships, some of them have won more than one