Can HS coaches coach/train select teams?

fevercoach

Just curious for all the coaches out there. It was always my understanding that high school coaches could not train their players or high school aged players for that matter in club teams or academies. Has that changed? I can find no rule in the TSSAA bylaws against this. Any clarification would be helpful?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just curious for all the coaches out there. It was always my understanding that high school coaches could not train their players or high school aged players for that matter in club teams or academies. Has that changed? I can find no rule in the TSSAA bylaws against this. Any clarification would be helpful?

From my understanding, that is the case. A high school coach can not coach any of his/her high school players during travel season.

From what I read in the bylaws, it clearly states in the bylaws that at the end of the season to the completion of school that coaches may act in a coaching capacity with students in their school on non-school teams. Then, there are no practice regualtion periods, dead periods, and weight/conditioning periods. Nothing is stated about coaching a school player on a non-school team in these periods.

July 2008 TSSAA sent out a memo from Bernard Childress and Gene Menees which in part reads:

"Last year, we allowed Spring sport coaches to go and watch their student-athletes participate in Fall League games, tournaments, meets, matches, etc. This was a misinterpretation by the state office. The definition of practice is coach and player(s) together with instruction, teaching, coaching, etc. Due to the fact that in Fall ball there is instruction, teaching and coaching going on, all coaches of Spring sports cannot be present. Student-athletes may continue to participate in Fall leagues, but high school coaches cannot watch them play. Please keep in mind that the 50% rule applies to basketball, baseball, and softball."