Catholic @ West!

knoxvegas19

West 2 Catholic 1... physical game, tied 0-0 at half. West came out and scored off a nice corner my boy mccoy flicked in, second goal off a mix up back to a west player who fired it in. Mishu for catholic scored off a low driven shot about 25 out. Good game all in all

uc, I think you made a good point on the first touch comments you made on another post. I just wanted to put my opinion on it that when rivalry or very physical matches take place. Sometimes the beauty and finesse take a back sit into just protecting your self or trying to contest a ball. I wasn't at the match you discussed, and you gave great detail. As a coach I am constantly frustrated by a poor first touch or a touch that should have been made to create opportunities or increase the flow of play. Just my thoughts on it, enjoyed the detailed post though. My only contention would be that when the adrenaline gets going, the technical side of the game can take a major hit. I do have to agree with some of your comments on NAIA. not as strong across the board as upper divisions, but I can remember marking a few players in the national tournament years ago that had dozens of appearances with youth national teams and one that had showed in some friendlies if I wasn't mistaken. When he introduced himself, I was like, I start for my club team growing up in k'ville. We had some fun banter in that match. Cheers to all. And I totally locked that guy down! /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

akula, thank you for your comments. i would love to hear more from the rest. akula, do you think that maybe that is just a college standard and that's a seperation between college and high school? the differance in first touch. our coach drills us on first touch. if you have at two bad first touches in a short time people will be ragging on you and getting on your case. maybe it's just the standard i have become occustimuted too.

watching that game the other day i notice that maybe it's just not the lack of ability to control on the first touch but it's about the direction, purpose and kind of first touch you make. like oak ridge for example, i noticed that if their forwards would check more and make first touch back into space to lay off for mid-fielders and then their mid fielders used their first touch to open up to switch the field then this team could hold the ball all day long. i think that west was to tunnel vision going forward that they felt the need for every touch (not just the first) to go forward and this killed their attack.

should more emphasis be put on the first touch in high school game and how much? i think their is not enough. i noticed this last year.