TSSAA got too much authority?

dubc

Now dis is got my dander up. Yea da TSSAA is a necessary but dis is plum crazy. I'd drag em to "Judge Judy" and let her work it out.

It tis my guess dat Judge Judy would take em to da wood shed cuz they should not have this type of power.

Thank you and good bye. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

When did "D" replace "TH" on all these words?? Makes this post hard to read. Maybe I'm just old.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When did "D" replace "TH" on all these words?? Makes this post hard to read. Maybe I'm just old.

You should see some of these text messages we're getting from our kids and their friends. It's a different world my friend! I agree with your sentiments.

TSSAA doesn't always make decisions I agree with. That being said, I have known too many players that decide a single game suspension might be worth it to beat down number whatever. What if a kid decides to try to injure a rival player going into preseason? If you only punish the kid that did the attacking, why not bring a three-hundred-pound enforcer in the game just long enough to beat the opponent's star down? A low-talent player might consider this a way to contribute to the team.

Is this what happened here? I doubt it. But TSSAA needs to have the option of disciplining a team for these kinds of incidents. There are dirty coaches (not calling anyone out, just declaring they exist...out there somewhere).

As for the 50% rule, I've always been on the fence. As long as the traveling team and school coaches are each independent of the other team, it isn't so bad. It does punish schools in areas that can't support multiple traveling teams. But there are ways around this, too. Bring in more players as ballast so the percentage drops. You can have twenty bench warmers, can't you?

Is the punishment appropriate in THIS case? I don't have enough information to render an opinion. Is it appropriate for TSSAA to have that kind of power? I think so.

Didn't something like this happen a couple of years ago... with maybe a team out of East Tennessee? Was thinking it was Notre Dame or someone like that... what was the punishment then?

Didn't I read where the schools were only suspending those involved for 3 games? If they would have stepped forward and said all involved are off the team for good, the TSSAA may have been a little easier on them... but that's my opinion.

Didn't something like this happen a couple of years ago... with maybe a team out of East Tennessee? Was thinking it was Notre Dame or someone like that... what was the punishment then?

Didn't I read where the schools were only suspending those involved for 3 games? If they would have stepped forward and said all involved are off the team for good, the TSSAA may have been a little easier on them... but that's my opinion.

Notre Dame and Knox Catholic (just a little irony here) were in involved in a big fight that migrated to the stands. Both were punished and I believe fined but it has been a long time ago (before Coacht).

Notre Dame and Knox Catholic (just a little irony here) were in involved in a big fight that migrated to the stands. Both were punished and I believe fined but it has been a long time ago (before Coacht).

"Before CoachT"? So long ago that the players must have been wearing robes and sandals /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Actually, this is kind of sad. The 50% rule is in play as if you have, say, 5 freshman basketball players, they would be a good squad if they played together each winter season. Now, if you kept them together, year-round on the a club team, just how good would they get playing together, likely great, eh?

Funny, in soccer, the opposite is actually true. You have a group of players who have been playing together since they were 3-4 years old. Now, THE HIGH SCHOOL benefits from the years these children were playing together and now the TSSAA wants to restrict how they play outside of High School? I would hope that Big G and a similar group try to educate the legislative body that makes up the TSSAA. THEY are the benfactors of club sports, not the reverse.

If the 50% rule would have taken place when our child was a freshman, it would have been "we sure are going to miss playing prep ball, but see ya". All recruiting takes place in club, unlike BB, FB, BB.

A typical example in which those governing the sport have no idea what is going on.

Big G... Gotcha, just mking sure the board understands that the tail was wagging the dog.

"If you only punish the kid that did the attacking, why not bring a three-hundred-pound enforcer in the game just long enough to beat the opponent's star down? A low-talent player might consider this a way to contribute to the team."...well, what's Phil been doing these days? Perhaps he is available. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />