Obion Central vs Huntingdon Spring Game @ UTM

Marv58

Friday, May 15 is the spring game between Obion County Central and Huntingdon, being held at Tennessee-Martin's game field . Activities will begin at 5:30 with a three-way scrimmage between Ridgemont, Hillcrest, and Black Oak Junior Highs. Following this scrimmage will be the spring game between the two high schools. Admission is $3 and this covers the entire event. Hope to see everyone out there!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Huntingdon will be pretty strong in 1a football. They did well offensively, but in a real game I'm fairly certain OC would have took the win. The whole time the Obion Central offense was stopped was when they ran out of there 10 plays on the first series but they easily made it to the red zone. Haskins had all day to throw no pressure from the Huntingdon defense. The Obion D was sloppy in the beginning but all they have faced so far is the OC offense so they were slow to butt up to the run heavy double wing. In the end you could tell the d was kicking it up with the 3 consecutive stops on the 1 foot line. On the last series Huntington ran 16 plays. So the 1's score should really be 3-3 maybe 4-3 obion considering there 2's scored against Huntington's 1d or atleast their d-line didn't come out. All in all it was a good experience for both teams to play in that atmosphere and both showed effort.

Go Rebels.

Huntingdon will be pretty strong in 1a football. They did well offensively, but in a real game I'm fairly certain OC would have took the win. The whole time the Obion Central offense was stopped was when they ran out of there 10 plays on the first series but they easily made it to the red zone. Haskins had all day to throw no pressure from the Huntingdon defense. The Obion D was sloppy in the beginning but all they have faced so far is the OC offense so they were slow to butt up to the run heavy double wing. In the end you could tell the d was kicking it up with the 3 consecutive stops on the 1 foot line. On the last series Huntington ran 16 plays. So the 1's score should really be 3-3 maybe 4-3 obion considering there 2's scored against Huntington's 1d or atleast their d-line didn't come out. All in all it was a good experience for both teams to play in that atmosphere and both showed effort.

Go Rebels.

What? Your first O played against 5 freshman on defense, most of them in the secondary and your on here celebrating scoring on them.There is no telling how many three and outs you guys would have had if the scrimmage had been down and distance. Huntingdons offense chewed you guys up real bad. I don't recall ever seeing us get less than a five yd. gain and we scored everytime we had the ball. I think we threw it one time on a two pt. conversion and completed that with a 5'2 freshman qb. One of your td's was set up by a td on a hail mary by the qb while running out of bounds against a freshman corner. You guys are better than last year but don't get carried away.

Any play that Haskins pulled the ball on a read resulted in ATLEAST ten yards. So three and outs none, we were never in a punting situation and could have likely scored everytime we had the ball without our passing game at all. But we tried to score within our 10 play limits. I do realize Huntington had young guys on the field and some starters out with baseball. But nevertheless there wasn't any stopping the OC Offense. That could also be said for the Huntington O. The Rebel D did start to step up at the end of the game but it was too late. Honestly both defenses could have done much better but both sides ran a very base very vanilla defense. OC could have slanted there d-line to take away some counter and misdirection plays and Huntington could have brought pressure to try to force Haskins to throw early. But everyone with sense knows you don't show a whole lot in your spring games. Especially on UTM's turf with Westview players and coaches watching when we both play them this year /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />.

I wish the best to the Huntington players and coaches. I hope you take it to UC and make a trip to the burro and rep the west in 1A football.

Go Rebels.

OCVol.. Funny how fans of each school sees the game.. OC not winning a game the last 2 years and saying they would beat us in a regular game is strange. You guys must have improved a bunch if that's true.

The Mustang fans that I talked to were very pleased with the scrimmage. We (The Coaches) not me, don't put much into them except getting to see who can play and wants to play.

I'm getting tired of hearing this crap. No Huntingdon couldn't have stopped OC. I'm not sure if OC could have stopped them either, although they did stop them on ten plays the last posession but then Huntingdon got another four to score from inside the 10. So they scored on 14 plays...not 10. But I digress. Huntingdon is a good team with great tough coaching but good luck with that muddle huddle when you come up against a team with equal or better talent. It won't go well I don't believe. You have to have a 1-2 punch and Huntingdon has 1 punch. Give it to the good tailback right, left, and up the middle. Good luck with that! It will work in 1A until the semi finals probably. Heck it might work to a state title. But there's a reason no 5A team has ever won the state championship running a wing T offense. It's a 1 trick pony!

I'm getting tired of hearing this crap. No Huntingdon couldn't have stopped OC. I'm not sure if OC could have stopped them either, although they did stop them on ten plays the last posession but then Huntingdon got another four to score from inside the 10. So they scored on 14 plays...not 10. But I digress. Huntingdon is a good team with great tough coaching but good luck with that muddle huddle when you come up against a team with equal or better talent. It won't go well I don't believe. You have to have a 1-2 punch and Huntingdon has 1 punch. Give it to the good tailback right, left, and up the middle. Good luck with that! It will work in 1A until the semi finals probably. Heck it might work to a state title. But there's a reason no 5A team has ever won the state championship running a wing T offense. It's a 1 trick pony!

Bigorange911.. I beg your pardon. Catholic won with this offense against Mitchell last year in the Burro in AAA. Exact same offense. Lipscomb runs a variation of the wing-t and they've won several titles. Ever seen Goodpasture play? They run the wing-t every down and have won several titles. In 5-A they have superior talent and don't choose to run it. Huntingdon won a title with the wing-t and passed twice on Lipscomb and they were undefeated at the time. Your point where you "digressed" on Huntingdon getting 14 plays to score is usually the way a 10 play scrimmage works. You get a 1st down I/S the ten and you get 4 plays to score from there. (I'm serious Clark).

Was last week your second week of spring practice? We had 4 days and then had a scrimmage. Come on over to Bethel Friday and I think you'll see some players that you didn't see last week. Ever think why Milan often loses their scrimmage games and comes back and wins the title. It's just a scrimmage for crying out loud.

Don't go around thumping your chest like some others on here. Against OC, Huntingdon passed twice. Don't think our QB's arm is broken. Good luck to ya'll and I hope you guys get that win this year.

I'm betting the wingt and its variations have been responsible for more state championships accross the nation than any other system. After thinking a bit longer about the scrimmage last friday i've come to the conclusion that Obion got beat by our jv and they didn't have to pass the ball. Now thats impressive.

You guys are out of your minds. Huntingdon is the definition of the 1 trick pony and your 1 trick is your good running back that carried the ball 80% of the plays in the scrimmage. So there goes your jv theory. That kid is your team. Also you intelligent two people failed to read my post at a high level so I will explain it to you again. No 5A champ has won it running a wing T. The reason you can win it in 1A,2A, or 3A is when your players are better than their players you usually win. That's why Lipscomb and Goodpasture win...give me a break! And yes you remember that powerhouse that used to be Riverdale? They went to a Wing T offense and missed the playoffs last year. Their coach will get fired after this season and its all because they can't score! Also, you threw 2 passes because you can't throw. Did you see how ugly the incompletion was, and the other was for a two point conversion, so congrats he threw it 3 yards. But I am done here. You guys are Huntingdon and you've got your pony who is good at your 1 trick! Good luck on your good kid left, good kid right, and good kid up the middle plays. Oh yeah those fullback wedge and trap plays are ingenious as well! I'm sure you'll be very successful in 1A this season. Come talk to me after the Westview game and we'll see what the tune is!

You guys are out of your minds. Huntingdon is the definition of the 1 trick pony and your 1 trick is your good running back that carried the ball 80% of the plays in the scrimmage. So there goes your jv theory. That kid is your team. Also you intelligent two people failed to read my post at a high level so I will explain it to you again. No 5A champ has won it running a wing T. The reason you can win it in 1A,2A, or 3A is when your players are better than their players you usually win. That's why Lipscomb and Goodpasture win...give me a break! And yes you remember that powerhouse that used to be Riverdale? They went to a Wing T offense and missed the playoffs last year. Their coach will get fired after this season and its all because they can't score! Also, you threw 2 passes because you can't throw. Did you see how ugly the incompletion was, and the other was for a two point conversion, so congrats he threw it 3 yards. But I am done here. You guys are Huntingdon and you've got your pony who is good at your 1 trick! Good luck on your good kid left, good kid right, and good kid up the middle plays. Oh yeah those fullback wedge and trap plays are ingenious as well! I'm sure you'll be very successful in 1A this season. Come talk to me after the Westview game and we'll see what the tune is!

Coach, it is never fun to be beaten by a team running the double wing. I feel your pain. But take heart in the fact that you will not be the only one. Continue to beat the drum of your sissy offense.