CAK vs. Pigeon Forge

BigG

Public schools vs private schools... The reason CAK has had success in recent years is in no way linked to the the fact that it's a private school. Yes, CAK has great coaching, great tradition and a great record, but CAK, unlike public schools, only have 400 kids to pick from instead of basically unlimited numbers of kids from public schools. Can public schools not have great coaching, and a great tradition of winning? I'm basing the numbers fact on the surrounding knoxville public schools (Farragut, Bearden, West etc...). Also CAK works hard in and out of season. Yes, there are many great club teams in Knoxville, and yes many of the CAK players play on these teams, but why can't they start club teams in Pigeon Forge and the Carter area? Mark Sherrod plays on one of the best club teams in the state, and he goes to a public school? Also how about this, Alcoa beats CAK every year in football and Alcoa whens state in football all the time; how is this any different that CAK and soccer? CAK does not recruit, if they provide any financial aid we are disqualified from state, so I don't see why having kids from various areas matters either? Anyways I'm sure there are arguments for and against private vs public schools, but I have yet to see a legit argument for TSSAA to move the private schools into a separate division.

That was saucy

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coach Gerlach, just look at the number of private schools over the past 6 years that have made it to state. I am not angry or mad. I was simply responding to comments made toward Coach Moseley, I understand his comments. I also agree that HS coaches should work with the younger teams when they can.

G, I just think there can be some adjustments that make the playing field a bit more level...I DID NOT mean to say that you have to go to AAA.

Yes, CAK has great coaching, great tradition and a great record, but CAK, unlike public schools, only have 400 kids to pick from instead of basically unlimited numbers of kids from public schools.

But I would be willing to bet that a large percentage of that 400 came there to play on a quality soccer team. In public schools, such as Seymour, you're lucky to find 20 kids with the skills to make the team and then actually compete with the starters. I taught a girl in 5th grade last year that transferred to CAK this year to play soccer in their excellent system.

I don't have the time right now to further delve into my opinion of this situation, but wanted to point out something that I felt answered the problem presented in the quote.

Now, to the actual topic at hand. Congratulations to CAK and BigG on your well-deserved win. I know your team, as well as akula and his Tornadoes will do us proud!

There is a solution. And it would work for ALL sports. It isn't a public private split. It is a merit based program.

Regardless of school size, different sports in different schools are better than others. Football may dominate at one school, but volleyball might not. With a merit system, it doesn't move the WHOLE school up, just the sport that is very successful. So, you might have a football team in AAA but a volleyball team in A.

It would be hard to do and regulate, but possible. It would level the playing field across the board.

Take a look at European soccer. Specifically English. Top teams move up, lower teams move down.

Coach Chunn. I'm just saying that the situation is changing. Especially next year. A number of private schools are either moving up or out of A/AA. There is a shift coming.

I taught a girl in 5th grade last year that transferred to CAK this year to play soccer in their excellent system.

Who did you teach!!! I teach 6th grade, and I would love to know. Send me a PM.

I see I have lit the pilot...

I have heard all the same crap about public-private, open-closed until I am sick of it.

My problem with this episode today is that this coach simply picked the wrong time and place to send his message.

Tell the press you played your best, give the other team credit, wish them well and shut up.

Statements like this put him in a bad light when he could have addressed this issue at another time and place.

PF had a great season and Coach should be proud that they even got there. I know Coach G at Alcoa would never make a statement like this...he hasn't the past six years has he??

He got himself some athletes and made soccer players out of a few of them.

NEXT.

but why can't they start club teams in Pigeon Forge and the Carter area? .

They have a few teams out there that are club in those areas, but the sole reason why club soccer cannot catch on in the area is money. In my graduating class at Carter we were given a list of statistics that we could look back when were older and reflect on and all that junk. There was one statistic that shocked me. The average income of a 2 working parent household in the area is only $35,000 a year. So the average household only brings in that much and has to support two parents and at least one kid on that income. Now sure there are plenty of exceptions higher and lower than that stat, but it still shows that most people don't have a disposable income for things like club soccer and such. These statistics were given to us so it may be error infested and take it for what its worth. Club soccer is an expensive thing if done right, and I think that a lot of good athletes in these areas can't put forth that amount of money for coaches, trainers, travel, etc. Just my two cents worth.

I see I have lit the pilot...

I have heard all the same crap about public-private, open-closed until I am sick of it.

My problem with this episode today is that this coach simply picked the wrong time and place to send his message.

Tell the press you played your best, give the other team credit, wish them well and shut up.

Statements like this put him in a bad light when he could have addressed this issue at another time and place.

PF had a great season and Coach should be proud that they even got there. I know Coach G at Alcoa would never make a statement like this...he hasn't the past six years has he??

He got himself some athletes and made soccer players out of a few of them.

NEXT.

I like this post the best. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Again, it isn't a public private thing. MVM and I have debated this over and over and over. It is a "which team has more club players" thing. What teams have players that play 9 months out of the year instead of 3. Why do you think Farragut is so good? Bearden? It is club. If a team can get their kids playing in the off season on a quality d-1 club it will make a world of difference.

G you blow the argument of good coaching by your comment above. To win like you do, I don't care how many good players you have coaching is the catalyst that brings good teams together and makes them win. Many teams have had great players yet not done a thing or gotten beat early. Your year in and year out proves that Coaching no matter whom you have makes a difference. Besides I don't think Farragut and Bearden would win over and over if Coach Culbreth and coach Turner are not controlling whomever they have as well and they too win all the time. I know they both are after everyone in the offseason to play at least AYSO if nothing else. Don't get pulled into not giving yourself credit or them.

Pitch... I understand what you are saying, and I appreciate it. If you know me, you know that while I am very proud of my accomplishments, I just don't like to "toot my own horn". I was fortunate to have great coaches in college (Coach Eiskamp and Coach Jones at Carson Newman) that taught me almost all that I know. I also teach 6th graders, so I know how to deal with these highschool boys, too! /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

[quote name='AlcoasPaintedBridge' date='May 16 2009 - 09:04 PM' post='827102345'

When does a soccer coach from Pigeon Forge, TN ever have a podium or arena to state his beliefs other than a time like this.

He has used the attention the past three seasons to make the same statement, it is the only time he is able to get the message in the media.

Don't bash him for stating what he believes.

Is this Miss California and perez hilton of Alcoa

(if so it may explain Akula's hair) /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

They have a few teams out there that are club in those areas, but the sole reason why club soccer cannot catch on in the area is money. In my graduating class at Carter we were given a list of statistics that we could look back when were older and reflect on and all that junk. There was one statistic that shocked me. The average income of a 2 working parent household in the area is only $35,000 a year. So the average household only brings in that much and has to support two parents and at least one kid on that income. Now sure there are plenty of exceptions higher and lower than that stat, but it still shows that most people don't have a disposable income for things like club soccer and such. These statistics were given to us so it may be error infested and take it for what its worth. Club soccer is an expensive thing if done right, and I think that a lot of good athletes in these areas can't put forth that amount of money for coaches, trainers, travel, etc. Just my two cents worth.

Sportsnut I agree a great deal with your post about club being expensive. However, That is not always the case. Over a 10 year period I have coached 3 different club teams, mostly the younger age groups and have charged my parents my cost (Basically $20 a month, for those who could afford it). During that time I have had the privilege of coaching both private and public kids and a few future ODP players. So it can be done.

Matter of fact, my son, who graduated from TWC today (had to get that in /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> , Yes I'm a proud Dad today) got a call from an old coach wanting him to consider taking a team, which he is. So, sometimes all it takes is a phone call to start building a program. /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

I'm just saying that the situation is changing. Especially next year. A number of private schools are either moving up or out of A/AA. There is a shift coming.

Yea, The shift is Greenville..... /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />