looking for position as assistant wrestling coach in chattanooga

wosbodog

I've been looking for a part-time job in Chattanooga and would love to coach wrestling but I'm pretty sure all public schools in Tennessee require you to hold a job as a teacher to be elligible as a paid coach, which in turn would require a college degree that I don't have. I've completed one year of college at UTC but have no certificate or teaching licenses, so is it possible at all for me to get a job coaching for this coming school year? If not at a public school I could try any private one. I have several years of wrestling experience, nothing huge but I was 3rd in region 6 and won the off-season freshman state championship, so I hope I could help. The private schools in know in Chattanooga that definitely have wrestling programs are Baylor, McCallie (probably have plenty of help already), Notre Dame, Boyd-Buchanan, and Silverdale Baptist. If there aren't any positions available for high school teams I could coach middle school as well. I'm also willing to referee so do you have to get a license for that? I'm interested in whatever's available, in the summer too I could coach at any club that offers a paying position and can chaperone for trips if needed, or work as a manager, ref, timekeeper, towel boy, etc. So does anyone know about any available positions and whom to contact? I would appreciate it. Thanks.

I've been looking for a part-time job in Chattanooga and would love to coach wrestling but I'm pretty sure all public schools in Tennessee require you to hold a job as a teacher to be elligible as a paid coach, which in turn would require a college degree that I don't have. I've completed one year of college at UTC but have no certificate or teaching licenses, so is it possible at all for me to get a job coaching for this coming school year? If not at a public school I could try any private one. I have several years of wrestling experience, nothing huge but I was 3rd in region 6 and won the off-season freshman state championship, so I hope I could help. The private schools in know in Chattanooga that definitely have wrestling programs are Baylor, McCallie (probably have plenty of help already), Notre Dame, Boyd-Buchanan, and Silverdale Baptist. If there aren't any positions available for high school teams I could coach middle school as well. I'm also willing to referee so do you have to get a license for that? I'm interested in whatever's available, in the summer too I could coach at any club that offers a paying position and can chaperone for trips if needed, or work as a manager, ref, timekeeper, towel boy, etc. So does anyone know about any available positions and whom to contact? I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Assuming this is the guy I think it is, why haven't you stopped by to pick up your check? I've been holding it for a while. At least e-mail me and tell me your address so I can send it to you.

You donot need to be a teacher to coach at a public school.

Assuming this is the guy I think it is, why haven't you stopped by to pick up your check? I've been holding it for a while. At least e-mail me and tell me your address so I can send it to you.

I think you've got the wrong guy...though a check does sound appealing. You coach in Williamson county don't you? I haven't had a job there in over a year, and never with wrestling. But I am familiar with a lot of wrestling folks in Williamson so here's my email just in case: it's the same as my username just wosbodog@aim.com.

A paid assistant job might be hard to find, however you could ref, what's your e-mail and i'll send you some info.

It's my username wosbodog@aim.com. I've never reffed before so do you know where I need to go to get certified experience and the rulebooks and all of that? If experience is a requirement I would be willing to possibly do it for free for the time being (if I have enough time with my other job) if that eventually led to a paying position.

You donot need to be a teacher to coach at a public school.

Really? If that's the case though, do you still have to posess some type of degree or credentials, or could I just walk in and apply with a resume or something?

Maybe different schools have different policies about that but I thought the state of Tennessee required teaching credentials.

Forgot to mention, I said I was looking for an assistant position but that was assuming a head coach position would be unavailable to me. If there are any head coach positions needed, especially for middle school, I'd love to fill the role, or if there are any schools that are trying to start up a wrestling program maybe I could help with that too. The sooner I know the better, because I have to register for class for fall soon and have to figure out how to work around the schedule.

If anyone has told you that you must be a teacher to be paid staff as a coach at a public school, they are incorrect. You would simply be nonfaculty paid staff. However, you wouldn't get paid until the conclusion of the season and would get a background check and submit various other paperwork to the county, take an online coaches exam, become certified, etc.. You can go to HCDE.edu for info or just inquire with any coach at a public school. I would recommend to get it ASAP, sort of a pain in the ######.