Best HS tennis player EVER in Tennessee

BillVol

No public/private split on this board, as far as I know. So who is/was the best, regardless of whether he played in the TSSAA or not? Roscoe Tanner? Zan Guerry? Brian Gottfired? Tim Wilkison? Andy Avram? Chris Woodruff?

There is a Chattanooga theme going on here because Chattanooga is easily the best tennis city in this state, by any measure you could come up with.

No public/private split on this board, as far as I know. So who is/was the best, regardless of whether he played in the TSSAA or not? Roscoe Tanner? Zan Guerry? Brian Gottfired? Tim Wilkison? Andy Avram? Chris Woodruff?

There is a Chattanooga theme going on here because Chattanooga is easily the best tennis city in this state, by any measure you could come up with.

Woodruff is my vote, didnt play his senoir year(won doubles state his soph year and singles his jr year)...went on to win NCAA crown and turned pro after Sophmore year. Won a Masters Series event Toronto (Top 8 event on tour all top 20 players in world played) and one other event on tour and had wins against Sampras, Agassi, Courier, Googa, Kafelnikov(top 10 Russian at the time), Rios, Muster and Henman...rose to top 30(29 actually) in world and led the US team to a Davis Cup victory against South Africa by winning his Sunday Singles match (McEnroe captian). If he hadnt had messed his knee up while horsing around kicking a football around age 27 I think he coulda been a top 20 player for 3 to 4 years......went downhill after injury and he he retired 6 to 7 years ago....now UT assistant coach

Did Ben Testerman ever play high school tennis???? He has some pretty impressive pro credentials(Semi finalist of Australian Open) He is from Knoxville just dont know if he played high school

Todays very best players dont play high school....Rhyne Williams for example...This list will not be added to anytime soon. While there will be better players eventually come around they wont be playing in the TSSAA competitons

Bill Cherry of MBA would have to be in the discussion. He is one of the few 3-time boys state title winners, and accomplished that in the pre-split era. Went on to a very good college career at UVA.

I think Woodruff knocked Agassi out of the French Open and one point. He clearly had the best pro career.

Interesting...the Baker kid from Nashville who played at Hillwood and turned pro out of HS rather than pursuing a college career. I think he suffered some injuries early on in his career but looked to have a bright future when he left. Not sure where he is now.

• 4 weeks later...

It's difficult to rank guys separated by 20 years but I would have to go with Tanner. Here are there respective wikipedia citations: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roscoe_Tanner http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Woodruff

Roscoe's college career and pro career were impressive.

Hard pressed to top Roscoe's career ... member of Davis Cup champs ... won Australian Open ... finals of Wimbledon ... ranked top 5 in the world ...

b.b.b.