Rules about Artificial Noisemakers

daddyball

Just curious if anyone knows what TSSAA rules are concerning artificial noisemakers at softball games are. I noticed that Riverdale used them to their advantage by blowing horns and beating drums (even had a pickup truck in center field with an airhorn on Saturday) while opponents tried to hit etc. They weren't just used between innings, they were used as the pitch reached the plate to "goose" the batters. All this may be completely within the rules but no one else at the state softball tourny was doing that. Seems like it could get out of hand if it becomes who can bring the loudest noisemakers. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for enthusiastic fans, I'm just wondering what the rules are. Maybe next year we'll see an horns off of riverboats or who knows maybe even heavy artillery.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just curious if anyone knows what TSSAA rules are concerning artificial noisemakers at softball games are. I noticed that Riverdale used them to their advantage by blowing horns and beating drums (even had a pickup truck in center field with an airhorn on Saturday) while opponents tried to hit etc. They weren't just used between innings, they were used as the pitch reached the plate to "goose" the batters. All this may be completely within the rules but no one else at the state softball tourny was doing that. Seems like it could get out of hand if it becomes who can bring the loudest noisemakers. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for enthusiastic fans, I'm just wondering what the rules are. Maybe next year we'll see an horns off of riverboats or who knows maybe even heavy artillery.

Unfortunately this is where umpire must step in if it affects the game. Just typical poor sportsmanship from Riverdale. Until someone takes control they will do this. Not a very classy group of fans.

Unfortunately this is where umpire must step in if it affects the game. Just typical poor sportsmanship from Riverdale. Until someone takes control they will do this. Not a very classy group of fans.

So the whistles that beech used were ok and good sportsmanship? I know several other teams also had artificial noise makers. I also like it when other people or teams calls our groups classless or whatever because that usually happens when we win. So I am all for being classless...

what is an umpire supposed to do? They are not to respond to fans. There were tournament officials there so if it was illegal it would have been there job to stop it not the umpires job.

So the whistles that beech used were ok and good sportsmanship? I know several other teams also had artificial noise makers. I also like it when other people or teams calls our groups classless or whatever because that usually happens when we win. So I am all for being classless...

what is an umpire supposed to do? They are not to respond to fans. There were tournament officials there so if it was illegal it would have been there job to stop it not the umpires job.

This has real possibilities.....I can see it now...instead of talking about teams and how well they play we will be discussing 'Noisemakers Wars'! /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

Riverdaleman, was it the same pickup that was at the R'dale home football game a couple of years ago? Is so it is NOT the loudest horn I have ever heard at a ball game. Oak Ridge has that down pat! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

It constantly amazes me about the amount or various reasons folks come up with AFTER LOSING to RIVERDALE!

I think the "artificial noisemakers" are fine if they are used at appropriate times. I don't think they should be used during actual play time, like when a pitcher is pitching, a batter is batting or maybe on a defensive play. This is only done to get into the head of a player and that is going too far. Wait until the play is over, then blow your horn or beat your drum in between innings. I am all for that and it makes it more fun. Have fun and support your team, but don't try to get into the heads of the opposing players, they are just kids after all.

I think the "artificial noisemakers" are fine if they are used at appropriate times. I don't think they should be used during actual play time, like when a pitcher is pitching, a batter is batting or maybe on a defensive play. This is only done to get into the head of a player and that is going too far. Wait until the play is over, then blow your horn or beat your drum in between innings. I am all for that and it makes it more fun. Have fun and support your team, but don't try to get into the heads of the opposing players, they are just kids after all.

or in football and the band is playing real loud while the opposing team is on offense? kinda like that?

Are artificial noisemakers allowed?The following are the references to artificial noisemakers in NCAA playing rules books

Softball: "Artificial noisemakers, air horns and electronic amplifiers shall not be permitted, and such instruments shall be removed from the spectator areas by the games management personnel. Bands, or any component thereof, shall not play while the ball is live. Play may occur immediately prior to the team's offensive half inning and/or for about 10 seconds immediately following a score

I know I have been away from Softball and Baseball for awhile, but has 'chatter' been banned? I ask as I consider 'noisemakers' just a different form of chatter. Might be just me but that is the FIRST thing I was taught to IGNORE! /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

Last time I looked we were ruled by TSSAA and NOT the NCAA. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

Are artificial noisemakers allowed?The following are the references to artificial noisemakers in NCAA playing rules books

Softball: "Artificial noisemakers, air horns and electronic amplifiers shall not be permitted, and such instruments shall be removed from the spectator areas by the games management personnel. Bands, or any component thereof, shall not play while the ball is live. Play may occur immediately prior to the team's offensive half inning and/or for about 10 seconds immediately following a score

Thanks for the information. Personally, I think the TSSAA might want to take its cue from the NCAA on this one.

Thanks to doodle_bug I did find this information in the 2009 NCAA Softball Rules at

http://www.ncaapublications.com/Uploads/PD...f8d900bab6b.pdf

I think the TSSAA would do well to follow suit.

Rule 5.9 Crowd Control

Artificial noisemakers, air horns and electronic amplifiers shall not be

permitted, and such instruments shall be removed from the spectator areas

by the games management personnel.

I know of at least one coach at the state tourny that asked the home plate umpire to intervene with Riverdale's use of artificial noisemakers while his batters batted but the umpire did not get it stopped.

I really think the TSSAA needs to do a better job here. I think the Riverdale girls are good enough to win the game on the field and the TSSAA runs a really nice state tournament but this part looked and smelled like a little home cookin'.

Thanks for the information. Personally, I think the TSSAA might want to take its cue from the NCAA on this one.

I agree with you daddyball. Airhorns and car horns are a little different than chatter while the ball is live. But during dead ball times have at it with the horns. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

A little side note about chatter. Chatter is used in T-ball and little league NOT necessarily to distract the batter, but to keep the young players in the field alert and paying attention to the game. I find older players do it out of habit. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

or in football and the band is playing real loud while the opposing team is on offense? kinda like that?

ha! ha! /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> Good response! Never thought of it that way. I always thought the band was trying to encourage the defense and get the crowd into the game, not get into the head of the offense.

Yes, I think the kids should be able to block out all distractions. But when you have 1 pitcher concentrating on her next pitch and someone is sitting less than 40 feet away beating a drum, the only motive I thought was to make noise and shake her up. Pitchers have to be tough, that is for sure. But I guess the motive was to encourage your batter. That makes sense, but is it right?

I like the drum and tamborine ya'll have. The horns are good too. I like seeing the boys there supporting the girls. I just said the timing needs to be controlled.

Riverdale always has a good team and I am very happy for your state championship.