Scott High football job

sunshine

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If TL gets it he will just quit anyway. You would be better off with Russ Gillum as HC.

Well, Space3. We finally found something we agree on. TL quit college football. Extenuating circumstances , of course. Got mad and quit AC because Kerr wouldn't step down. Quit Oneida after considerable success. Came back to AC and quit again.

As an interested member of the Highlander community I will independently give my summation of possible candidates. My views are of no more value or less value than anyone else. However, as an interested committed former player and future parent of a Highlander I am entitled to a strong position. Please note I have no axes to grind and do not intend to hurt anyone's feelings. Having said that here we go.....

1. Keith Shannon. Long time assistant and successful coach at Sunbright High. Very knowledgeable of game. Hard worker and has been loyal to the Highlander program. He is very respected in the community and among players. I would give him my highest rating based on the fact he has been a head coach and he is not looking to go somewhere else as he has had ample opportunity to do so in the past but has stayed. The Highlander program is in dire need of someone who will stay awhile more than anything else. I have been told by a couple of teachers at the school that he does a great job in teaching an academic class and not just P.E. as is the case with far too many "coaches". Coach Shannon is a motivator and I am satisfied could get the job done at Scott. One negative is I have been told by a couple of folks that he can be temperamental at times, but I guess most coaches are. He would have to be rated #1 on my list.

2. Tony Lambert. Tony has proved he can lead a program and is a graduate from the high school. That is not necessarily a plus. Tony is a nice guy but has a tendency to be somewhat overbearing with his ego at times. Tony is legendary for saying all the right things but his actions in the past have been less than equal. He is knowledgeable and brings a fiery competitive spirit to the game which the school needs. I believe Tony would be able to overcome some shortcomings and with the right assistants around him to help him bridge the gaps between players and parents, I believe he could be successful. He is good friends with the principal so he would clearly have administrative support. Tony also has some political connections in the county and I would not be surprised at all if the job is not already his if he wants it. Tony can coach and motivate but one negative is him taking a good AC job and then leaving so abruptly. This has led many that "know" Tony to speculate this might have been an ego trip for coach Lambert. Irregardless the system would be foolish not to consider him.

3. Tony Zachary. Tony is a graduate and former player of the school (again not necessarily a plus) and has been one of the most popular assistants at Scott since Coach Teddy Williams. He is respected among faculty, parents, and especially players. Tony might very well be at the top of the list if for not his personal obligations. He is a single father raising several kids of his own and most are real small still. This would lead me to believe it would be nearly impossible for him to dedicate the time necessary to be the head man. If not for this I think he would be a no brainier. He has been a loyal coach and as I said about coach Shannon he is highly respected as an academic instructor. When I and others have talked to kids that play they always talk of coach Zachary in flattering terms and talk of his motivational skills on the field and in the classroom. One negative would be his lack of being a head coach at the high school level. Don't know if he wants to be the head coach but the school would be foolish to not at least talk to the man.

4. Gary Sexton. A proven winner with plenty of experience. Once again he is well respected as a coach and an academic instructor. He is the dad of the starting QB and so this would seem to be a perfect fit. However some in the community have been less than thrilled with some of his antics in the past and as I have mentioned his name to some, I keep hearing the same thing. "He has had the job twice and twice he has quit". Everyone believes he could do the job but for how long. His son is either a sophomore or junior, and so some think he would just stay until his son graduates. I think the school will seek him but not for sure if he would want the pressure of coaching his son, or would he prefer just being a fan and watching. I would not mind seeing Sexton coaching again, and if not as the head man maybe he could be coaxed into being an assistant. His knowledge of the game would be invaluable. I doubt he becomes the head man for a third time but Scott could do much worse.

4. Bill Hall. A former player (you know...) and former head coach. He had a successful run in the past and is very popular among students. However he is the principal and I don't know of many coaches who are also principals. I doubt if this is even allowed, but if it was he could certainly do the job. I would assume he is making more money being the top administrator than he could being the ball coach. For that matter I am sure he is doubtful at best.

5. Jackson Sharp. Head girls basketball coach and current assistant. Seems to be an alright guy but most seem to think his career is more the result of family connections than actual performance. He has not been a teacher long and again is in the P.E. field. I must reintereate that that alone does not mean he would not be a good coach, but many of us parents want to see a coach actually be a good teacher. I realize there are many good coaches that teach the easy subjects but I have to admit when all things are equal I like to see the coach that can do the job in an academic setting get the job. I realize that is a personal comment but that is all this post is anyhow. Coach Sharp seemed to relate well during basketball season and does a good job as a football assistant. Some seem to feel he has not paid his dues yet. I am not big on the dues thing, I feel if he can do the job and is ready then give him the keys. I do believe he would be a long termer and that alone I believe makes him qualified.

6. Russ Gillum. The brother of AC head coach Davey Gillum. Seems to be knowledgeable but from what I have been told is not a certified teacher. Therefore he would be eliminated from consideration. I would like to see the young man get certified, as I am sure he could be successful like his brother. Hard worker and relates well to the kids.

7. Jack Diggs. Enough said. I know, I know but a man can dream can't he.

I hope this post does not hurt feelings. It was meant as an honest observation and nothing more. I would give one piece of advice to the committee that will be searching for the head man. Please look locally and choose integrity, loyalty, and honor for our kids. We have been fortunate to have had coaches(not all) over the years our young men could look up to and I am sure there are others out there now. Please, please, please, give us some one who "WANTS" to be here and stay here. Our kids deserve that much.

Go Big Red!!

As an interested member of the Highlander community I will independently give my summation of possible candidates. My views are of no more value or less value than anyone else. However, as an interested committed former player and future parent of a Highlander I am entitled to a strong position. Please note I have no axes to grind and do not intend to hurt anyone's feelings. Having said that here we go.....

1. Keith Shannon. Long time assistant and successful coach at Sunbright High. Very knowledgeable of game. Hard worker and has been loyal to the Highlander program. He is very respected in the community and among players. I would give him my highest rating based on the fact he has been a head coach and he is not looking to go somewhere else as he has had ample opportunity to do so in the past but has stayed. The Highlander program is in dire need of someone who will stay awhile more than anything else. I have been told by a couple of teachers at the school that he does a great job in teaching an academic class and not just P.E. as is the case with far too many "coaches". Coach Shannon is a motivator and I am satisfied could get the job done at Scott. One negative is I have been told by a couple of folks that he can be temperamental at times, but I guess most coaches are. He would have to be rated #1 on my list.

2. Tony Lambert. Tony has proved he can lead a program and is a graduate from the high school. That is not necessarily a plus. Tony is a nice guy but has a tendency to be somewhat overbearing with his ego at times. Tony is legendary for saying all the right things but his actions in the past have been less than equal. He is knowledgeable and brings a fiery competitive spirit to the game which the school needs. I believe Tony would be able to overcome some shortcomings and with the right assistants around him to help him bridge the gaps between players and parents, I believe he could be successful. He is good friends with the principal so he would clearly have administrative support. Tony also has some political connections in the county and I would not be surprised at all if the job is not already his if he wants it. Tony can coach and motivate but one negative is him taking a good AC job and then leaving so abruptly. This has led many that "know" Tony to speculate this might have been an ego trip for coach Lambert. Irregardless the system would be foolish not to consider him.

3. Tony Zachary. Tony is a graduate and former player of the school (again not necessarily a plus) and has been one of the most popular assistants at Scott since Coach Teddy Williams. He is respected among faculty, parents, and especially players. Tony might very well be at the top of the list if for not his personal obligations. He is a single father raising several kids of his own and most are real small still. This would lead me to believe it would be nearly impossible for him to dedicate the time necessary to be the head man. If not for this I think he would be a no brainier. He has been a loyal coach and as I said about coach Shannon he is highly respected as an academic instructor. When I and others have talked to kids that play they always talk of coach Zachary in flattering terms and talk of his motivational skills on the field and in the classroom. One negative would be his lack of being a head coach at the high school level. Don't know if he wants to be the head coach but the school would be foolish to not at least talk to the man.

4. Gary Sexton. A proven winner with plenty of experience. Once again he is well respected as a coach and an academic instructor. He is the dad of the starting QB and so this would seem to be a perfect fit. However some in the community have been less than thrilled with some of his antics in the past and as I have mentioned his name to some, I keep hearing the same thing. "He has had the job twice and twice he has quit". Everyone believes he could do the job but for how long. His son is either a sophomore or junior, and so some think he would just stay until his son graduates. I think the school will seek him but not for sure if he would want the pressure of coaching his son, or would he prefer just being a fan and watching. I would not mind seeing Sexton coaching again, and if not as the head man maybe he could be coaxed into being an assistant. His knowledge of the game would be invaluable. I doubt he becomes the head man for a third time but Scott could do much worse.

4. Bill Hall. A former player (you know...) and former head coach. He had a successful run in the past and is very popular among students. However he is the principal and I don't know of many coaches who are also principals. I doubt if this is even allowed, but if it was he could certainly do the job. I would assume he is making more money being the top administrator than he could being the ball coach. For that matter I am sure he is doubtful at best.

5. Jackson Sharp. Head girls basketball coach and current assistant. Seems to be an alright guy but most seem to think his career is more the result of family connections than actual performance. He has not been a teacher long and again is in the P.E. field. I must reintereate that that alone does not mean he would not be a good coach, but many of us parents want to see a coach actually be a good teacher. I realize there are many good coaches that teach the easy subjects but I have to admit when all things are equal I like to see the coach that can do the job in an academic setting get the job. I realize that is a personal comment but that is all this post is anyhow. Coach Sharp seemed to relate well during basketball season and does a good job as a football assistant. Some seem to feel he has not paid his dues yet. I am not big on the dues thing, I feel if he can do the job and is ready then give him the keys. I do believe he would be a long termer and that alone I believe makes him qualified.

6. Russ Gillum. The brother of AC head coach Davey Gillum. Seems to be knowledgeable but from what I have been told is not a certified teacher. Therefore he would be eliminated from consideration. I would like to see the young man get certified, as I am sure he could be successful like his brother. Hard worker and relates well to the kids.

7. Jack Diggs. Enough said. I know, I know but a man can dream can't he.

I hope this post does not hurt feelings. It was meant as an honest observation and nothing more. I would give one piece of advice to the committee that will be searching for the head man. Please look locally and choose integrity, loyalty, and honor for our kids. We have been fortunate to have had coaches(not all) over the years our young men could look up to and I am sure there are others out there now. Please, please, please, give us some one who "WANTS" to be here and stay here. Our kids deserve that much.

Go Big Red!!

Good post. Very informative.

• 2 weeks later...

Disciple, great post. you left one off the list though.......politics... it was politics that cost coach diggs his job. even Bill hall had to fight the political machine. so..... it'll be whoever Mrs. Wilson wants pure & simple. wich may or may not be best for the program. All the people you named are great coaches & I wish the new coach all the best

Disciple, great post. you left one off the list though.......politics... it was politics that cost coach diggs his job. even Bill hall had to fight the political machine. so..... it'll be whoever Mrs. Wilson wants pure & simple. wich may or may not be best for the program. All the people you named are great coaches & I wish the new coach all the best

AMEN! Punisher22 you are dead on the money. It is even more so now with the current Director than at any other point in recent memory. I was really shocked by that but I should not have been. Good luck to coach Shannon. I hope he keeps the current staff mostly in tact for the benefit for our kids.

Go Big Red

AMEN! Punisher22 you are dead on the money. It is even more so now with the current Director than at any other point in recent memory. I was really shocked by that but I should not have been. Good luck to coach Shannon. I hope he keeps the current staff mostly in tact for the benefit for our kids.

Go Big Red

Disciple, I'll admit I was pulling for Tony lambert to get the job some of the reasons are personal, but most are professional. He's proven himself everywhere he's been. His defense has always been excellent. He is a great motivator and he's someone you would want your kid to be around. pcc wasn't just a slogan he lived it and expected his players to do the same they were accountable for thier actions on & off the field. pretty good qualifications for a head coach. disciple, you know as well as I do you can score 40 pts a game but if your defense can't stop the old ladies rest home @ twilight & you give up 50 a game you ain't gona win many. It's a shame when a quality person is available for a position and the people entrusted with the future vision for the county schools can't stop looking over thier shoulder long enough to do whats best...... ahhhhhhhh I love the smell of politics in the morning!!!!