Tennessee High School All-Americans

I am in the process of putting historical All-American information on my site and need some help from the older fans out there (or anybody in the know for that matter).

The first widely-recognized All-American team came from a group called the Wigwam Wisemen of America (WWA) back in the late 1940s. For a few of these recognized players, there is city information available for the player but not the school name. Any information anybody has that can fill in the blanks would be greatly appreciated.

Here is the list of WWA All-Americans from 1947-1961: Wigwam Wisemen of America

Thanks.

I am in the process of putting historical All-American information on my site and need some help from the older fans out there (or anybody in the know for that matter).

The first widely-recognized All-American team came from a group called the Wigwam Wisemen of America (WWA) back in the late 1940s. For a few of these recognized players, there is city information available for the player but not the school name. Any information anybody has that can fill in the blanks would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I would think there would be some players from Chattanooga Central on there -- especially since they were a force to be reckoned with from 1957-1959 and won some sort of mythical national championship (I think) one of those years. They were coached by the legendary Red Etter (who later coached the hannah boys and many other greats at Baylor).

I would think there would be some players from Chattanooga Central on there -- especially since they were a force to be reckoned with from 1957-1959 and won some sort of mythical national championship (I think) one of those years. They were coached by the legendary Red Etter (who later coached the hannah boys and many other greats at Baylor).

Some of the Chattanooga players for whom I have only city information may indeed be Chattanooga Central players, but I need someone to confirm.

The highest ranking I have found for Chattanooga Central is in 1962, when they were ranked 5th in the final National Sports News Service Poll. Of course, these polls are very subjective and controversial, but it does make for interesting, if not debatable, information.

Thanks.

How old must a person be to be considered an "Old Timer"? Some days I feel old but others I feel 30 again. That being said, I'm sorry to say I have nothing to contribute to your work. The only players I recognize from the WWA All-American teams (Steve Sloan, George Canale, Buddy Leake, Jackie Pope, etc.) are players whose schools have already been identified. Good luck with your research.

Have you tried the sports departments of the Memphis Commercial Appeal and the Chattanooga Times Free Press for historical information?

How old must a person be to be considered an "Old Timer"? Some days I feel old but others I feel 30 again. That being said, I'm sorry to say I have nothing to contribute to your work. The only players I recognize from the WWA All-American teams (Steve Sloan, George Canale, Buddy Leake, Jackie Pope, etc.) are players whose schools have already been identified. Good luck with your research.

Have you tried the sports departments of the Memphis Commercial Appeal and the Chattanooga Times Free Press for historical information?

Well, I'd probably say 50+ is an "Old Timer" on these boards; maybe less. At 40, I am probably above the overall average age on this site, but the names on the WWA list are mostly unknown to me, outside of the guys who are Middle Tennesseans and/or who went on to notable college/pro careers.

I will try the newspapers eventually but am trying the "easy" routes first - putting out feelers on here and doing my own research. I have a contact in Memphis who is in the process of sending me all-time historical scores for all Memphis city schools, so he may be able to fill in some gaps. I am also trying to cross-reference some "old" rosters I have to the lists.