Franklin Rebels looking for a coach!

ttsootb

Being a person that played for four years under coach Brown, I can definately say that the discipline is there. Out of all three coaches, he was the one that pushed us the hardest and disciplined us the most, so for you to say that he doesn't push his players to their fullest, you're dead wrong. The thing about the JV coaches kissing there wifes... who cares? It's JV, no one at all pays attention to the JV games unless there a JV parent which I'm sure you are... with that being said, you really probably didn't deal with coach Brown at all considering he was the Varsity head coach. Head coaches in college baseball, pro baseball and every other baseball organizations I have ever been around have conversations with players about other players just to get an idea of what's going on and what people are thinking, and there's nothing wrong with that at all. The four years I was at Franklin, coach Brown probably got 95% of the scouts there for us, which means that for all the guys that went on to play college/ professional ball.. he was the one to thank for their future career. So for you to say that he doesn't help guys get noticed, you just dont have your facts correct at all. Brown was the only coach on the field that would ever motivate us when I played for Franklin, so before you get on the internet and start running your mouth because your kid is not getting playing time, please get your facts straight. Brown was one of the main reasons we got to the state tournament 3 out of the 4 years we were there, and to let him go would be the biggest mistake Franklin baseball has made in a long time.

You obviously don't know what you're talking about. You say he instills discipline in his players, yet he is by far the most immature coach in the district, as seen by his temper tantrums and bad behavior. So how can he instill discipline in his players if he can't even be an example himself? I could care less about JV coaches kissing their wives, etc, I don't care at all about that, but my main problem with Coach Brown is that he held different players at different standards. When some players got in trouble at school, etc, he made them run and punished them, while others got in so much trouble at school that they were suspended for multiple games, and he did absolutely nothing to them. Also, Brown not only talked with players about other players, but he talked bad about other players, which is another example of immaturity, and should never be done by a head baseball coach. Period. Furthermore, Brown did absolutely nothing to help players get noticed by colleges this year. Example A: Senior RF (I don't want to name names, anyone who is familiar knows who this is) hit around .450 and had an exceptional year, yet Brown did nothing for him except for a scholarship to ICC, which is below the RF playing capabilities, and all too easy for Brown to do, just one lazy phone call. My arguments have nothing to do with playing time for anyone, etc, so stop trying to cancel out everybody's arguments by saying they're mad about playing time, and realize that not one varsity player at Franklin this year got better, and nobody appreciated the coaching (or lack there of) of Coach Brown. Coach Brown definitely helped Franklin get to the State Tournament, but it was mostly Alumbaugh's organization and discipline that propelled the Rebels to State. Hiring Brown was a mistake, and keeping him now would be one of the biggest mistakes Franklin baseball will have made in a long time.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being a person that played for four years under coach Brown, I can definately say that the discipline is there. Out of all three coaches, he was the one that pushed us the hardest and disciplined us the most, so for you to say that he doesn't push his players to their fullest, you're dead wrong.

This is a joke right? I've been around this program for a few years now and knew Coach Alumbaugh personally. To suggest that Coach Brown was the disciplinarian is about as laughable as it gets. Brown was the class clown. The guy constantly looking for attention and cracking jokes with the players. Most of which were extremely inappropriate. Maybe that's why you liked him so much? When you become the head coach you don't get to be one of the kids anymore. You're in a position of power and influence and that requires some maturity and humility. Without it things can go south quickly and that is what has happened here. It's time for a change.

This position isn't really open. It's simply posted because the head coach was on an interim basis this year because they didn't have enough time to interview for the position last year.

They didn't have enough time to interview last year? Sounds like they didn't have enough sense! I hope next year's coach has more interest in the school and the players. From my vantage point, this head coach only had one agenda - making sure everyone knew that he was the one in charge!!! Big problem being in charge when you show no leadership qualities, no understanding of how to motivate high school players, and your only followers are wanna be (assistant) coaches who know even less than you. Team would have been better off letting a couple of Seniors fill out the line-up cards and letting the guys dressed up/pretending to be coaches run the concession stand.

I gave Franklin grief all season cause that is what rivals do. No harm was meant by my posts, once they were eliminated I gave it up. I remember when we played them at our place we barely won 4-3 with our ace on the mound and some guy not even in their rotation.

Our JV team spoke highly of Franklin as they played a very competitive championship game in the JV Tourney that went extra innings.

Seems to me you had some problems with the coaching staff. Did you ever go talk to the coaches about your concerns? Maybe they could explain themselves. Coach Moore has done a very good job with that.

Seems to me you are a parent that will bark loud on the internet and do nothing about it. I would love hear your list of things. 3 coaches in 3 years is not good for a school like Franklin. Seems to me after Dr. Campbell left the athletic program is in shambles. Whose in charge over there anyway? If they would of kept their coaching staff they would of been at the top with Indy for the next couple of years.

You just think you know everything.... Indy will have a good team in years to come but you can't just automatically pencil them in as champions of the district in years to come. Ravenwood has just as good of players as Indy and will definately surprise people.

You obviously don't know what you're talking about. You say he instills discipline in his players, yet he is by far the most immature coach in the district, as seen by his temper tantrums and bad behavior. So how can he instill discipline in his players if he can't even be an example himself? I could care less about JV coaches kissing their wives, etc, I don't care at all about that, but my main problem with Coach Brown is that he held different players at different standards. When some players got in trouble at school, etc, he made them run and punished them, while others got in so much trouble at school that they were suspended for multiple games, and he did absolutely nothing to them. Also, Brown not only talked with players about other players, but he talked bad about other players, which is another example of immaturity, and should never be done by a head baseball coach. Period. Furthermore, Brown did absolutely nothing to help players get noticed by colleges this year. Example A: Senior RF (I don't want to name names, anyone who is familiar knows who this is) hit around .450 and had an exceptional year, yet Brown did nothing for him except for a scholarship to ICC, which is below the RF playing capabilities, and all too easy for Brown to do, just one lazy phone call. My arguments have nothing to do with playing time for anyone, etc, so stop trying to cancel out everybody's arguments by saying they're mad about playing time, and realize that not one varsity player at Franklin this year got better, and nobody appreciated the coaching (or lack there of) of Coach Brown. Coach Brown definitely helped Franklin get to the State Tournament, but it was mostly Alumbaugh's organization and discipline that propelled the Rebels to State. Hiring Brown was a mistake, and keeping him now would be one of the biggest mistakes Franklin baseball will have made in a long time.

I love how parents think that they just know it all. It's hilarious to me that I'm friends with everyone of the players that played this year, and everyone that I talk to says that they like Brown being the coach so much better than when Alumbaugh was there. I'm sorry that your kids come home and whine to you and yea they are going to say that know ones like Brown to get you on there side, when really your son is upset off at him for some reason or another but instead of dealing with it with Brown he comes and crys like a baby to you. You want to talk about immaturity, your a freaking dad of a highschool baseball player and your talking crap about the coach on the internet. Why cant you be a man and go talk to the coach face to face since your soooo mature. You need to grow up and get a life and stay out of the franklin coaches, because they have done nothing wrong. Some players got suspended from games do to fighting in school.. which is kind of a big deal! Some players had to run do to getting in minor troubles in school... not a huge deal, and some players just get yelled at for other minor things.. you cant punish people the same for doing different things, and if you were any kind of parent you would no that. How would you punish a kid the same for getting sent to ALC due to fighting, and being late to a class? YOU CAN'T genius. I believe that your the one that needs to mature. I'm not saying Brown of the other coaches are flawless, because everybody has there mistakes, but it seems like people were expecting franklin to get back to state this year and are upset about them not doing so after losing 8 starting seniors in 2008. Thats ridiculous. No wonder your son acts like a baby, look at his dad.

And STRIKE3FAN you say my last comment is not worth a response, and my assumptions are dead wrong... The only reason its not worth a response is because you know I'm right.

I have lost my faith in the leaders of schools who know nothing about sports and fire the coaches because their "record" was not pretty enough. I want to make it clear that I have no ties to franklin high except that I know the coaching staff very well. Not every coach is going to be the white knight shining example blah blah that principals want sooo much. If the coach does their job, keeps the players in line, and they happen to win some ball games then I say they have done a great job. I doubt anyone paid attention to franklin's non district schedule. If you would have you probably would have noticed some of the best teams in the state either getting beat by franklin or beatin franklin by 1 or 2 runs. Both Brown and Butler did exceptional jobs as their first run through as head coach. I just dont see why the kids wouldnt be able to learn from a past state champ and player of the year for illinois and played in the minors or from a collegiate player. If you do not like the way these guys coach, you probably do not like baseball as much as you think

Fairview guy, my complaints have absolutely nothing to do with wins or losses, and I don't think that's why the administration is looking for new coaches either. The reason the search is ongoing is because of the behavior and maturity level of the coaches, almost exclusively Brown. They wouldn't fire a baseball coach because of wins or losses, IMO simply because they could care less about baseball. Fhsbaseball8, you would be mostly right about the disciplinary problems, if anything at all had been done to the minor problems by the one player who was constantly in trouble. But nothing was done, that's my only problem with that. The fact of the matter is, I don't think you've asked many players if they liked Brown or not, because I don't think you would get that type of response

There will always be people who think a coach does a good job and some that disagree. What is extremely sad to me on this particular topic, is that there appears to be parents who believe the best way to handle this to go on to an anonymous website and bash the coaches. If FHS chooses to keep Coach Brown and Coach Butler (as I believe they should), those same parents will inevitably have their sons try-out for the team next year. I wonder will they address their concerns with the coaches or will they continue to talk disrepectfully behind their backs? They seem to think that it is the coaches responsibilty to teach their sons maturity, responsiblity, disciplaine, and leadership. And actually, I would agree, in part. The coaches are in a unique position that should allow them to teach more than just a sport. But I believe that ultimately it is THE PARENTS responsibilty to teach their children these things...Is this how they do it? They expect these qualities in the coaches, but not in themselves? They lead by example, right? They should be ashamed!

FHS baseball had a tremendous year. Those boys worked HARD and they played WELL. What the players deserve is support from their coaches and parents! I know the majority of the parents did support the team and the coaches! I can tell you that the coaching staff worked extremely hard to give those boys everything they needed to succeed. I know all of the coaching staff well, including Kurt Jones and Brent Alumbaugh from previous years. We could talk forever about what each coach brought to the field and where they fell short, but what would be the point. Coach Brown and Coach Butler, as first time head coaches, did a good job! They gave all of their free time to those players. They were extremely dedicated. Did they make some mistakes? I'm sure...as we all would! But overall, they did a fantastic job!

The administration gets the final say on who will coach Franklin next year. I can only hope they do those players and coaches justice! But if they choose to hire someone else. I hope Franklin gets a "PERFECT" coach, because anything else will fall short to some parents...and remember "be careful what you wish for!"

Nobody is saying that we want anyone to be near perfect, or even near good. This is the last thing I'll say, so I'l make it short. I wasn't expecting much of anything from the new set of coaches, as it should be. I didn't care about wins or losses, because we had a very young team. All I was expecting was adult behavior from both coaches, and just a tiny bit of organizational skills. Neither of them were present. I seriously doubt that most parents, at least most varsity parents, want Brown to be back. Butler, I have absolutely no problem with.