D2 - Class A Analysis

genesis

Interested in any insight anyone can share on the D2-A division for 2009 in terms of top teams and players.

East/Middle: Davidson Academy, DCA, Ezell-Harding, FRA, King's Academy, Mt. Juliet, St. Andrew's, Webb and Zion

West: Bishop Byrne, ECS, Fayette, FACS, Harding, JCS, Rossville, St. George's, SBEC, TRA, and USJ.

Prep performance ratings. Shocked to see Davidson at 5. Have to wait and see.

Div II A

Rank Team District Rating Last First Game

1 Knoxville Webb 65.3 Knoxville Central (Week 0)

2 ECS 65.0 Cordova (Week 1)

3 USJ 63.7 Trinity Christian (Week 1)

4 Jackson Christian 62.2 Milan (Week 0)

5 Davidson Academy 60.2 Cascade (Week 0)

6 Harding Academy 54.8 St. Benedict (Week 0)

7 DCA 52.3 Mt. Juliet Christian (Week 0)

8 St. George's 49.7 Manassas (Week 0)

9 SBEC 48.1 Rosemark (Week 0)

10 Fayette Academy 46.1 St. Benedict (Week 1)

11 FACS 44.2 Douglass (Week 0)

12 FRA 38.3 Baylor (Week 0)

13 Ezell-Harding 35.3 Eagleville (Week 0)

14 Bishop Byrne 32.8 Memphis Catholic (Week 1)

15 Rosemark 26.2 SBEC (Week 0)

16 Zion Christian 25.4 David Brainerd (Week 0)

17 Riverside Chr. 20.0 Marshall Academy, MS (Week 0)

18 Rossville 18.7 Marshall Academy, MS (Week 0)

19 Kings Academy 15.3 Lancaster Christian (Week 0)

20 Memphis Catholic 15.0 Bishop Byrne (Week 1)

21 Mt. Juliet Christian 12.1 DCA (Week 0)

22 St. Andrews 5.0 Franklin Classical, TN (Week 1)

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm excited to see how USJ does. Back in the late 90's my dad and I would go and see them play and they always seemed to go undefeated and make a decent run in the playoffs. They got pretty screwed having to move up to DI-2A, so hopefully they get back to their old ways.

Do not know who will win it at this point. Just a short video of SBEC and marlon brown with Justin as a Sophomore

From what I understand, 12 teams will make the D2-A playoffs. 6 from the west and 6 from the middle/east. The #1 and #2 seeds from each side will receive first round byes in the playoffs. Based on the playoff calander on the TSSAA web site, this would be the only format that fits.

With 2 divisions in each region, can we assume the 2 district champs from each region will be the top 2 seeds in each region w/ the 2nd and 3rd place from each district making up the other playoff teams?

Something like this:

#3 from West 2 vs. #2 from West 1 in the 1st round. Winner of round 1 to face #1 from West 2

#3 from West 1 vs. #2 from West 2 in the 1st round. Winner of round 1 to face #1 from West 1

2nd round winners to face in region championship.

...or will the games played against teams from the other district but within the same region play into who makes the playoffs?

Davidson Acadamy has to be the heavy favorite coming out of the middle/east. Afterall, since they moved to D2 at the beginning of the 2005 season, they have won the state championship 3 times in 4 tries. Their outstanding tailback, Justin Williams, returns for his junior year. I have seen this kid each of the last two years and there are very few, if any, better at this level. He will play at the next level.

In the west, there are 3 favorites in JCS, USJ, and ECS.

JCS made it to the third round of the D1-AA playoffs last season against schools much larger than themselves. They return alot of talent including QB Cody Jones. Jones threw for over 2000 yards last season. He was also a finalist for Mr. Football as a kicker during his sophmore season. They also return an outstanding wide out in Zach Parker. Noah Chandler is a talented junior who can do damage at multiple positions. Sophmore to be Drae Bowles can score any time he touches the football.

USJ will feature one of the very best QB's in all of West Tennessee in junior Jake Overby. He threw way over 2000 yards last season. He was at 2034 yards and 21 td's after just 7 weeks last season. I don't have his final numbers, but you can bet they were much higher than the ones I posted. Austin Martindale and Dusty Bright will return for their senior seasons at WR. Both have great hands and run good routes.

Sadly, I was not able to find out alot of information on ECS. But, they are dropping down from D2 AA and ha

All good info but i think your leaving dca out of this they only lost 4 seniors they should be pretty good with consistent quarterback play and a little help from a talented freshman class could mean big run for wildcats. Davidson vs Dca week 2 at Dca could be DII A game of the year we need to get tv on this game it will be a show.

In looking at all the state rankings for the last 10 years Webb and ESC typically appear among the top 30 teams in the state regarding all classifications. They have played tough schedules year in a year out and both are always top 10 schools in their cities, Knoxville and memphis. They are actually moving down a division so anyone would have to put them at the front. FRA and DCA use to have strong programs in the late 90's, but im not sure how they have been of late. I hear the jackson school has had a few good teams aswell. I think ECS and Webb are quite a bit better than the old D2A teams that have played since 2005, but thats all i know. I think they should have kept Webb and ECS in D2's upper division.

In looking at all the state rankings for the last 10 years Webb and ESC typically appear among the top 30 teams in the state regarding all classifications. They have played tough schedules year in a year out and both are always top 10 schools in their cities, Knoxville and memphis. They are actually moving down a division so anyone would have to put them at the front. FRA and DCA use to have strong programs in the late 90's, but im not sure how they have been of late. I hear the jackson school has had a few good teams aswell. I think ECS and Webb are quite a bit better than the old D2A teams that have played since 2005, but thats all i know. I think they should have kept Webb and ECS in D2's upper division.

Have to agree about the excitement this year with more teams. Do not blame ECS and Webb for moving down. Numbers usually always win. How many students does MUS have? I wonder why the large school in memphis that plays DII AA does not win with their numbers? Is it christan brothers?

Have to agree about the excitement this year with more teams. Do not blame ECS and Webb for moving down. Numbers usually always win. How many students does MUS have? I wonder why the large school in memphis that plays DII AA does not win with their numbers? Is it christan brothers?

Per TSSAA, MUS has 828 students. Christian Brothers has 1,778