D2 - Class A Analysis

genesis

Always next year?, you still will be playing against Knoxville Webb, ECS, the easy days are over. :roflolk:

Webb is looking good so far this pre-season. They have had very successful scrimmages and although they graduated both of their lines, some younger guys are stepping up to fill the void. Skill positions on offense are starting to solidify and their team speed on offense is very impressive. Defensively they have played reasonably well in scrimmages also. LBs are very good while the new d-line is coming together. The strength of the defense lies in the LBs and DBs. Two tough corners and two safeties who can really run, cover and hit.

If Webb can keep everyone healthy they should compete with anyone on their schedule this year.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Snippets from the Memphis CA's Jason Smith, the local prep writer, about DII districts in the West. I don't believe Catholic is competing for the playoffs in DII-A West 1. They're not on the schedule of several teams. They haven't had a football team the last couple of years.

Division 2-AA West

Teams: Briarcrest, CBHS, MUS, St. Benedict

Outlook: Coming off a 13-0, Division 2-AA state-title winning campaign in 2008, the Owls, led by senior quarterback and West Virginia commitment Barry Brunetti, return as the favorite in a new-look D2-AA West league in which all four teams qualify for the playoffs. Christian Brothers and Briarcrest, both 7-4 last season, also have designs on finishing No. 1 or 2 and earning one of the West's two first-round byes for the playoffs. St. Benedict, under first-year coach Mike David, hopes to be much improved coming of a 2-8 season in 2008.

Division 2-A West 1

Teams: Bishop Byrne, Catholic, ECS, FACS, Harding Academy, SBEC

Outlook: After being reclassified from D2-AA, ECS looks like the early favorite in D2-A West 1, where, like in D2-A West 2, the top three teams will qualify for the playoffs. Also in the mix for playoff spots should be SBEC, which returns the area's top returning passer in senior Ryan DuBois, and FACS, which returns six starters on the offensive side of the ball. Harding Academy and Bishop Byrne return inexperienced units.

Division 2-A West 2

Teams: Fayette Academy, Jackson Christian, Tipton-Rosemark, Rossville Christian, St. George's, USJ

Outlook: St. George's and Fayette Academy, a pair of 5-6 teams a season ago, both return enough quality experience to compete with University School of Jackson for the top spot in D2-A West 2. TRA, now under former Covington head coach Jake Linville, and Rossville Christian, which returns senior QB Greg Sheehan, each lack size and depth.

Maybe I missed something b/w stbulldog and DivisionII? I thought the question about CBHS seemed reasonable. They have been down, for them, the last couple of years. Any DII school with that many boys will rarely fall too far, though, I'd think. I think part of it is cyclical. MUS is up. Somebody has to be down at least a little. Brothers has also lost a player or two here and there, like Eric Watson to Olive Branch and then to Melrose when he couldn't get playing time at Olive Branch, and I don't think the depth of linemen that they had just a few years ago is quite there. Just adding Watson last year would have probably bumped their offense into another gear.

They'll be back up in short order, I imagine, especially since they aren't truly "down"....just a little down for them.

Football TOMORROW! Wow, it's here!

Good luck to USJ and JCS this year! Both are great teams with great QB's and WR's. Good Luck!!!!!
Thank you GCPioneer, it's nice to see that you have come over to this board and showed your surpport. Good luck to your Pioneers, they looked good in the Jamboree.

GO EAGLES!!!!!!!