All-State Team

slappypappy

That is the TSWA list. There was a name on there in the wrong category, that usually happens when the list first comes out then it is corrected. As far as the players not included, it's really a matter of either making it to a big stage where a lot of writers's can see, or coaches marketing their players, mailing out stats to TSWA members and such.

Making it to the big stage does not work in all cases. Reference my previous post. The problem is there are areas of the state that simply are not eligible for this recognition by virtue of the fact they are not in any media coverage area. Media feel responsible for representing the athletes in their distribution area only and there is little or no effort beyond that to identify those that may be deserving but aren't represented by a tswa member. Fact is there are areas excluded from consideration making the list less than it could be.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stats usually come from the coach. Sometimes from the writer that covers that team if he/she is a TSWA member.

I dont think it came from the coaching staff because at the end of the year, during the summer a book is compiled of each girls stats, and I see Cheyanne's 33-3-1 and two of the losses came at state to unicoi and the 1st at the Nike Gulf Shores tournament 1 to 0, and there was a tie gamed during tournament play at Soddy Daisy and that was 0 to 0. Her ERA is 0.44 and she had 21 shut outs . I try to keep her stats as well. I am sure Cheyanne is not the only one with incorrect stats

That is the TSWA list. There was a name on there in the wrong category, that usually happens when the list first comes out then it is corrected. As far as the players not included, it's really a matter of either making it to a big stage where a lot of writers's can see, or coaches marketing their players, mailing out stats to TSWA members and such.

OK. I admit it. I'm Whining. But i see, what seems to me, to be some glaring oversights... or lack of coach's marketing, or more than likely, bias and/or lack of knowledge/coverage by certain areas sportswriters.

My point... (and please, I admit my bias toward Middle Tn. players and lack of knowledge in other areas) but...

Class AAA - only one player from Beech. None from Wilson Central. Tons from Riverdale.

AA - Unicoi 3 players. Goodpasture two. Seems like the most balanced picks.

A - where are the twins from Cornersville?

DII A - Tons from GPS, St. B which seems right. Ryan 3?. JPII 3? (and yes, I know, they are all very good players!)

AA is lumped in with the others and has just 2 total players. One from SBEC and one from Davidson Ac. who

won back to back State titles. Why didn't AA get their own list? No respect? As "statman" says ... it must be a

league full of Dangefields! All other classes have multiple players from the State Championship team except

DII - AA

'Nuff whinin'

They are the Writers and it's their list. I guess if I'm gonna keep whining so much I should get my own list!

OK. I admit it. I'm Whining. But i see, what seems to me, to be some glaring oversights... or lack of coach's marketing, or more than likely, bias and/or lack of knowledge/coverage by certain areas sportswriters.

My point... (and please, I admit my bias toward Middle Tn. players and lack of knowledge in other areas) but...

Class AAA - only one player from Beech. None from Wilson Central. Tons from Riverdale.

AA - Unicoi 3 players. Goodpasture two. Seems like the most balanced picks.

A - where are the twins from Cornersville?

DII A - Tons from GPS, St. B which seems right. Ryan 3?. JPII 3? (and yes, I know, they are all very good players!)

AA is lumped in with the others and has just 2 total players. One from SBEC and one from Davidson Ac. who

won back to back State titles. Why didn't AA get their own list? No respect? As "statman" says ... it must be a

league full of Dangefields! All other classes have multiple players from the State Championship team except

DII - AA

'Nuff whinin'

They are the Writers and it's their list. I guess if I'm gonna keep whining so much I should get my own list!

I can see where Unicoi could have 2 players on the All State Team but not 3. One of the picks was not deserved. Goodpasture should have more.

OK...

Somebody out there put me out of my misery.

Find me any pitcher in the state (from any division or classification) over the last two years with:

63 or more wins,

over 800 K's.

a .5 ERA or better,

and a top 4 state finish

Please clarify this statement. I am a bit in the dark as to your point.

Please clarify this statement. I am a bit in the dark as to your point.

Just venting!!!!

I am having a hard time understanding how a pitcher with these accomplishments got overlooked in the TSWA selection process in both 2008 and 2009.

I'll get over it....maybe.