All-State Team

slappypappy

Just want to say that I have been both an asst. coach and a head coach in the Knoxville area for the past five years and if Whitney G. is not an all-state softball player, then there is not even any need for such an honor. I don't know her or her father or have any ties to the Cherokee program, but I have seen her pitch many games in the past four years. She is not just a pitcher, but an extremely talented all-around player. If I were a college coach, I would try to sign her!

Is she getting any looks from colleges? If she is that good, she should have generated a lot of interest from colleges.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is she getting any looks from colleges? If she is that good, she should have generated a lot of interest from colleges.

Signed back last fall with University of Alabama - Huntsville who finished as national runner-up in division 2 this year.

Done pretty well on the recruiting end from exposure playing summer ball for Knoxville Thunder - Sams.

This is simply a school ball issue and again not just for her....there are others.

Signed back last fall with University of Alabama - Huntsville who finished as national runner-up in division 2 this year.

Done pretty well on the recruiting end from exposure playing summer ball for Knoxville Thunder - Sams.

This is simply a school ball issue and again not just for her....there are others.

Heck, I used to get all hot and bothered with that crap too. The main thing is that she will attend college. That whole all state thing is a bunch of bull. It doesn't mean anything. UAH is a great school and they are very tough in softball too.

We are never going to agree 100% on the list. There are a lot of good/great players that were left off, but I guess you can't put everyone on the list or it wouldn't be as prestigious. The pitcher from Cherokee is awesome and with a little more offense would have made a run to a class AAA state championship. It is all about timing and pieces of the puzzle fitting into place. Good pitching, good defense, good hitting, and team chemistry equals state championship. Beech had the hitting, defense and the pitching to win it all, but lost one main ingredient due to injury(their pitcher).

Rachel Medley(better known as Chicken)- Pitcher- Knox Central

21-6

0.69 ERA

15 shutouts

4 no-hitters

2 perfect games

2 one hitters

196 k's

Lost to Riverdale in the state 1-0 in 8innings

Lost to Brighton in the state 2-1

Lost to Unicoi in Morristown West Invitational 1-0 in 8 innings

Lost to Mt. Juliet in Clarksville tournament 2-1 in extra innings

Lost to Powell first game of the year 3-2 in 10 innings

Lost to Maryville in Region Championship 2-0

6 losses giving up 11 runs, but scoring only 4 runs

These are very good teams year in and year out. My point is with more offense would she have been 27-0 and made ALL-STATE and had a Ring on her finger. Beech would have!!!!

This will make her work harder for next since she will only be a Junior. Congratulations to all those that did make it, you deserve it because you are good players.

OK...

Somebody out there put me out of my misery.

Find me any pitcher in the state (from any division or classification) over the last two years with:

63 or more wins,

over 800 K's.

a .5 ERA or better,

and a top 4 state finish

Unicoi County is close, Kara Woods,

Wins 67

Losses 7

Innings Pitched 497

Strike Outs 785

Batters Faced 1917

Hits Allowed 211

Runs Allowed 65

Earned Runs Allowed 25

Base on Balls/Hit by Pitch 47

Batting Avg. Against 0.113

ERA. 0.352

Shutouts 44

This is based on Official books by Unicoi County. X's 2 yrs

3rd in State 2008, 2009 State Champions

Yes you are Correct, Miss Gilbert should have been in the listing.

I'll never forget the Eastman Game, what a pitchers dual!

Unicoi County is close, Kara Woods,

Wins 67

Losses 7

Innings Pitched 497

Strike Outs 785

Batters Faced 1917

Hits Allowed 211

Runs Allowed 65

Earned Runs Allowed 25

Base on Balls/Hit by Pitch 47

Batting Avg. Against 0.113

ERA. 0.352

Shutouts 44

This is based on Official books by Unicoi County. X's 2 yrs

3rd in State 2008, 2009 State Champions

Yes you are Correct, Miss Gilbert should have been in the listing.

I'll never forget the Eastman Game, what a pitchers dual!

Kara's accomplishments are outstanding. If you consider that she has generated these stats in her first two years while sharing time in the circle as a freshman, it makes it even more impressive.

Kara has also been recognized by the TSWA for her accomplishments in both of her first two years and she deserves the recognition. She is fortunate to have the support of the Johnson City Press to make sure her accomplishments aren't overlooked.

I will remember that Eastman game also. It is one of many epic battles between Cherokee and Unicoi that I will remember. Three consecutive championship games in the NFS tournament the previous three years were equally impressive.

Kara's accomplishments are outstanding. If you consider that she has generated these stats in her first two years while sharing time in the circle as a freshman, it makes it even more impressive.

Kara has also been recognized by the TSWA for her accomplishments in both of her first two years and she deserves the recognition. She is fortunate to have the support of the Johnson City Press to make sure her accomplishments aren't overlooked.

I will remember that Eastman game also. It is one of many epic battles between Cherokee and Unicoi that I will remember. Three consecutive championship games in the NFS tournament the previous three years were equally impressive.

Best of luck to Miss Gilbert in the College Roll, I know you are very Proud, Shoot I am because she's a real class act. I just hope my daughter finishes with the Skills your daughter has done!