temperature, heat index, and the tssaa

visionaire

With the new regulations handed down by the TSSAA regarding heat index and practice...How are you coaches handling this situation? Violate the policy and something happens, a parent owns you and you never work again (once you get out of jail). Combine that with a civil suit and you live in a tent forever. NOW..My question to the TSSAA is what happens when the teams hit the field week o, and the temperature is hovering around 96, heat index is well over 100 and these kids are not acclimated to this. Don't buy the decision here. Your thoughts?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the new regulations handed down by the TSSAA regarding heat index and practice...How are you coaches handling this situation? Violate the policy and something happens, a parent owns you and you never work again (once you get out of jail). Combine that with a civil suit and you live in a tent forever. NOW..My question to the TSSAA is what happens when the teams hit the field week o, and the temperature is hovering around 96, heat index is well over 100 and these kids are not acclimated to this. Don't buy the decision here. Your thoughts?

I would say that they will not be playing either so it will be games that start at 8 or later

I would say that they will not be playing either so it will be games that start at 8 or later

This is legal in nature. Trying to avoid potential lawsuits. Everybody sues today for anything. instant gratification, no work ethic. The heat situation has been this way since the dawn of thime in west tn. never been an issue. "old school" players and coaches, what do you think? Bet ya'll are getting a kick out of this. Coaches just have to be smart, give plenty of breaks, plenty of water, slow tempo down,etc...

This is legal in nature. Trying to avoid potential lawsuits. Everybody sues today for anything. instant gratification, no work ethic. The heat situation has been this way since the dawn of thime in west tn. never been an issue. "old school" players and coaches, what do you think? Bet ya'll are getting a kick out of this. Coaches just have to be smart, give plenty of breaks, plenty of water, slow tempo down,etc...

That's exactly what i was going to say coachmws.....coaches used to push us alot harder than they do these kids today but i guess we were in better shape back then. We were use to the heat because we were outside all summer long , but kids today stay inside playing video games and watching tv more than we did.

That's exactly what i was going to say coachmws.....coaches used to push us alot harder than they do these kids today but i guess we were in better shape back then. We were use to the heat because we were outside all summer long , but kids today stay inside playing video games and watching tv more than we did.

Agree 100%. My son went to the FBU camp this weekend and the heat index was really up there. Above 100. No problems that I saw except a few cramps. You could tell the few that had problems were'nt in too good of shape. It's about hydration and nutrition and staying in shape. It's a crying shame what is happening with our kids nowadays. Don't get me wrong, my son has a cell phone, x-box and likes watching TV, but we have an understanding and he knows were the priorities are.

Yes 92Dragon we were in better shape back then. I did have an Atari, but I would rather go out in the neighborhood and play with my buddies. Throwing football in the middle of the road and making cars slow down until we decided to let them pass. On the other hand, I always remember my parents telling me how they walked 5 miles in the snow barefooted to school. I really think this new rule will cause problems and injuries. Coaches do not want players to fall out during practice or any harm caused to them. They preach to them what it takes to be a top notch athelete, but it is up to them and their parents to do the right things. Good luck to all players and coaches in dealing with this new rule.

Today is the first day this year that heat is really even comparable to what it will be when practice starts up in late July. Bad thing is that by now most schools have already begun their "dead period" and more than likely the kids are sitting inside doing nothing.

yeah when I played back in the early 80`s we

got up early went to work hauling hay in the hay

fields all day then went to conditioning coach Diggs'

gave us all the ice we wanted but never no water.

2 salt tablets and 2 aspirin before practice I never remember

a heat related problem then. of course most of us

didnt have air conditioning and weren`t eatting

at Mc D`s everyday but that was a different time. /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

yeah when I played back in the early 80`s we

got up early went to work hauling hay in the hay

fields all day then went to conditioning coach Diggs'

gave us all the ice we wanted but never no water.

2 salt tablets and 2 aspirin before practice I never remember

a heat related problem then. of course most of us

didnt have air conditioning and weren`t eatting

at Mc D`s everyday but that was a different time. /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

You said it perfectly, Mickey D's ... The Problem with kids today, is more nutrition than anything else, then food's weren't as refined, nor processed, preservatives, more whole grains and better for the body, Throw that in with Carbonated sodas filled with caffeine an sugar, most kids who don't play sports aren't adequately hydrated.

Oh and if they Dip snuff, we can act like that don't happen, but I haven't came across a football team in Tennessee that doesn't have kids who dip.

Cheeto's and a Bologna Sand which ain't exactly fuel for an athlete...

Don"t kid yourself here. Games will continue to start at 7:00 pm. Remember starting times were changed for the benefit of the "travel" team. This won't change. The problem will still exist. Kickoff at 7:00, temperature 93-95, heat index around 100, and kids haven't been allowed to work out in these conditions...TROUBLE BREWING!!!

Don"t kid yourself here. Games will continue to start at 7:00 pm. Remember starting times were changed for the benefit of the "travel" team. This won't change. The problem will still exist. Kickoff at 7:00, temperature 93-95, heat index around 100, and kids haven't been allowed to work out in these conditions...TROUBLE BREWING!!!

100% correct! The problem lies with kids nowadays. Not trying to beat a dead horse, but they better stay in shape, eat right and stay hydrated. Some may have some kind of pre-existing medical condition and the docs better start doing physicals more thorough. I pray no players will have any trouble. IMO two-a-days should remain and coaches, trainers and players do everything they are supposed to.