temperature, heat index, and the tssaa

visionaire

yeah when I played back in the early 80`s we

got up early went to work hauling hay in the hay

fields all day then went to conditioning coach Diggs'

gave us all the ice we wanted but never no water.

2 salt tablets and 2 aspirin before practice I never remember

a heat related problem then. of course most of us

didnt have air conditioning and weren`t eatting

at Mc D`s everyday but that was a different time. /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

Even when I played ('98-'01) it was much different. With the school being brand new back then we didn't have the advantage of having a field house and when we dressed inside the school for practice we walked like 1/2 of a mile from the school to the practice field for the start of the first practice at 3:00 pm. That first practice went right up til 5:15 and we had 2 water breaks during practice. We did special teams first....took a break......did individual defense second......took the second break.......then ended with team defense & conditioning. At 5:15 pm we took a 45 minute break (remember that we stayed outside because we didn't have any facilities to go back to unless we wanted to walk like 1/2 of a mile back to and back from the school building). At 6:00 pm we were back at it. The second practice went from 6:00-8:30 pm and again we had 2 breaks. We started with special teams again......took a break........did individual offense........took our second break.........and ended with team offense and team conditioning. Now if you for some reason were unable to make your allotted number of workouts during the summer then in between the 2 practices (5:15-6:00 pm) you were fortunate enough to get some make-up work.

Trust me when I say that being outside from 3:00-9:00 pm without getting to go back inside once is very TOUGH! I believe that today it would be very difficult for teams to pull off this feat.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don"t kid yourself here. Games will continue to start at 7:00 pm. Remember starting times were changed for the benefit of the "travel" team. This won't change. The problem will still exist. Kickoff at 7:00, temperature 93-95, heat index around 100, and kids haven't been allowed to work out in these conditions...TROUBLE BREWING!!!

Kentucky does not allow games to start with high heat I am sure that TN will follow. Some schools already start late when games are to be started at high temps. But if they do allow games to start in the heat they should allow practice in the heat!

• 1 month later...

While I think this is one more thing the TSSAA should stay out of and let the individual Schools handle I wonder if we are witnessing the beginning of the end of two a day practices?

In fact that is being recommended by the National Association of Athletic Trainers (NATA)!

Trainers call for end to two-a-day summer football team practices

SAN ANTONIO (AP) -- The nation's athletic trainers are calling on high school football teams to eliminate two-a-day practices in August.

The new report from the National Association of Athletic Trainers was released Thursday in San Antonio. In some states, the grueling two-a-days are an annual rite of passage for thousands of high school teams.

Authors of the report say their policies largely follow what's being done at the college level. They also point to a 15-year-old in Kentucky who collapsed last August and later died. Prosecutors charged his coach with reckless homicide.

The National Center for Catastrophic Injury Research says at least 39 football players across all levels have died from heat-related causes since 1995. Most cases occurred in August.

Don"t kid yourself here. Games will continue to start at 7:00 pm. Remember starting times were changed for the benefit of the "travel" team. This won't change. The problem will still exist. Kickoff at 7:00, temperature 93-95, heat index around 100, and kids haven't been allowed to work out in these conditions...TROUBLE BREWING!!!

Kentucky does not allow games to start with high heat I am sure that TN will follow. Some schools already start late when games are to be started at high temps. But if they do allow games to start in the heat they should allow practice in the heat!

The new TSSAA rule is a game cannot start untill the heat index is 103 and below so some games may not start till 9pm well after the sun and temps have fallen. We all must agree the weather for the month of july has been a blessing.