BLACK SUNDAY AT RIVERDALE

flyfish

I know that everyone is bored because there is one more week left of dead period. I had the opportunity to play golf yesterday at a benefit golf tourney with a very unique young man in Byron Devinner. Many of you have been blasting out at him talking about in a negative since of matter. Well I found it odd to see him playing golf with one of the Oakland coaches yesterday. I had to ask him the question that all of you have wondered about and been wrong about. What sideline will he be on this fall. I will admit the guy is a little arrogant when you talk to him. The answer he gave me was on whatever sidelines that will help the kids in the future. He explained to me that he was never run off from Riverdale and wishes all of the Warriors good luck. He says that God has a plan for his life and he knows that he can make a difference in a lot of kids lives. He went on to say that he misses the kids on Warrior Drive, but he only wants to be respected. I can tell from the community and some of your post that there is a great deal of respect for him. Maybe that respect is what makes some of you call him a recruiter because you are afraid that your kids will follow him where ever he lands. Devinner only smiled when I asked if he was coming over to Oakland. I later got confirmation from a coach from that Devinner will indeed where the O this fall. The reasoning is simple, there are many kids that he can mentor and help in life. Let's look at what he did with Riverdale's class of 08. He was like a father to many of those kids and kept them out of any type trouble. Devinner is very visible in the community and feels that he has the ability to help any school win off the field in life. Many of you want to say that you have had a rough life also but until you sit down and really hear the horror stories that he went through then you will be like wow. The only thing that frustrated me the most was he wouldn't give me a definite yes or no he is going to Oakland. I am going to speculate that he is because I am told that he has been seen several times on Patriot Drive. I think he would be a great fit in the Patriot community. So for all of you haters, I guess Oakland will soon get athletic dorms huh? They have an indoor facility, a state championship, The IB program, The Ameri-Can problem. Now all they need is an athletic dorm for Devinner so that he can house the athletes at Oakland much like what Rickey Field did for Rankin at Riverdale. Can we say a second coming! It looks like Rankin has still not left Murfreesboro. First it was the man in the blue truck so I guess now it will be the man in the blue car huh!!!! OZONE REPEAT! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know Mr Devinner and have talked to him many times...I am not sure where all this stuff is coming from on him but WHATEVER If he wants to be at oakland then good luck to him im not sure how that really effects our football program as i am sure the personal relationships he has with those boys wont change

as far as oakland and recruiting it has actually become LEGAL for oakland to recruit #1 the IB program and #2 the school is not full so anyone can go there if they want to they do not have to worry aobut zone exemptions all you have to do is ask so that is a great position to be in I know of at least 2 athletes that we have lost to them and thats without looking into it

Sounds like a guy who is jumping on the bandwagon of a team that won a state championship. Sounds like the guy is it for a number of reasons and the number one reason is for himself and the attention he gets by being around the best athletes. Allows him the opportunity to hang out with some big name players and coaches. Just an opinion.

It's official, but he won't confirm it? So how is that official then?

Can you explain why you are HIS personal cheerleader? I think most folk can figure this one out for themselves. You just happen to always be in the right place at the right time to gain all this inside info? HMMMMM........that dead rat smell is really stinkin.

Ok...Devinner is a good guy but he isn't the second coming of CHRIST. If true, welcome to Oakdale.

PS......I think Riverdale will be just fine.

Sounds like he is waiting to see which school can get up the most money to win his favor. I feel sorry for the OHS boosters. They already have to raise enough bucks for all the extra coaches as is.

It's official, but he won't confirm it? So how is that official then?

Can you explain why you are HIS personal cheerleader? I think most folk can figure this one out for themselves. You just happen to always be in the right place at the right time to gain all this inside info? HMMMMM........that dead rat smell is really stinkin.

Ok...Devinner is a good guy but he isn't the second coming of CHRIST. If true, welcome to Oakdale.

PS......I think Riverdale will be just fine.

Sounds like he is waiting to see which school can get up the most money to win his favor. I feel sorry for the OHS boosters. They already have to raise enough bucks for all the extra coaches as is.

Hey 2p, does that mean I can get paid to come and watch Oakland too? /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

JUST KIDDING!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have come and watched Oakland for awhile now without ANY fanfare. Some of us do it for the hotdogs! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

If you have had the chance to know this guy, I can say that he doesn't have to jump on bandwagons. He allows his action to speak for himself. I have known Mr Devinner for quite some time and my kid has play junior pro football and basketball for him. He knows how to motivate kids and get them to believe in their dream. He doesn't give up on any kid. I don't even think he is doing it for money or fame. He is doing it for the care of those kids. Let's ask the Riverdale, Oakland, Siegel, Blackman, and Smyrna kids and see what they have to say about him. He was the gel on the sidelines for those kids to go to the past few years at Riverdale. He did say the only reason he is leaving Riverdale is because Aydelott and Hankins has no respect for him because they feel threaten. I can tell you one thing this guy is well spoken and well versed has a lot of knowledge not to mention people in his circle. See for yourself like I have done the past few years with his football camp. He brings in some of the top football players of all time to work his camp. Now you guys are really funny. Being surrounde by the best athletes is not his fault because he works part time at Patterson Park Community Center. That's where all of your athletes come through so he has the opportunity to mentor to many of them. I am sure the Oakland Staff is well aware of that and that is why they welcome him if he chooses to go there. He continues to say he is on the staff at MTCS though. Has that been confirmed by school officials. Since you'll are so worried, you should be worried about the kids that he can take with him over there. Until many of you understand the bigger picture here you will always want to point the finger at him. Ask all the former coaches who have left Warrior Drive during Aydelott's tenure and they all will say it is because of Hankins and Aydelott!

Ok enough is enough! I am not going to hide behind the screen name like most of you are doing on here. I appreciate those of you that really know me and have offended me. I am sure those are proud parents and fans from all over the county. The one thing that I hate the most is you'll hiding behind screen names and bashing an individual. One thing that many of you don't know and understand is what is going on and whether or not I am wearing the Cardinal and Gold this fall. One thing can be certain is that I have the respect of many parents and kids over there. They are the only one's that I care about. Many of you have started the recruiting allegations. Let me clear that up right away because I feel like I am being stalked by some of you to be honest. If I take a kid to eat then it is my prerogative to do so with my own money. Most of these kids around here are kids that I have either coached in Junior Pro, or have spent time mentoring them. I don't care if a kid goes to private or public school to tell you the truth. There are many kids that I have helped to get to the Ensworths, BA's, and MBA's. If a kid and a parent come to me and ask for advise, it is my role to share it with them. Yes I spend time with kids from Siegel, Blackman, Riverdale,and Oakland. The problem is that some of you have a problem with accusing someone when they try to help a kid. As for the comments earlier about Smyrna, I have never been in Mr Gills office for recruiting any kid. That's the respect that I have from many school officials and coaches around here. I can go out to eat with kids from Oakland and I bet you Coach Mac can care less. I can take kids out to eat from Smyrna and Coach Williams can care less. The same at Blackman with Coach Shad! Reason is they know what my concerns and motives are. Most of you don't! If any of you have the courage to step forward and sit down with me one on one and discuss your issues please do so and stop hiding behind the computer. That's the coward way out! To answer your last question, I have never been run off from Riverdale. Am I happy over there NO, but does it hurt me to know that I have to do what is best for me and be at a school that I am appreciated and my talents are used YES! The blessing I do have is the fact that I don't burn bridges and try to keep a open door of communication with all coaches so if the opportunity comes up then yes it is open for me. To clear the air, I will not be on the sidelines of Riverdale this fall. Yes it hurts because I have been with this senior class since they were freshman. But most of them along with their parents understand why I am making a change. A coach from here in the county that I respect a lot because we are in it for the same reason summed it up for me last night and said that you have helped so many kids and not it is time to help yourself and your career. But please if any of you that are hiding behind the computer and bashing me please come forward. I know that most of the messages are coming from one source and that source argues with himself on here under different screen names so what! My email address is byron@byrondevinnerfoundation.org and my number is 615-525-0077 so there you go I am putting it out there to stop being a coward and come to me as men because I do what I do for the kids and not for self gratification enough said!

Ok enough is enough! I am not going to hide behind the screen name like most of you are doing on here. I appreciate those of you that really know me and have offended me. I am sure those are proud parents and fans from all over the county. The one thing that I hate the most is you'll hiding behind screen names and bashing an individual. One thing that many of you don't know and understand is what is going on and whether or not I am wearing the Cardinal and Gold this fall. One thing can be certain is that I have the respect of many parents and kids over there. They are the only one's that I care about. Many of you have started the recruiting allegations. Let me clear that up right away because I feel like I am being stalked by some of you to be honest. If I take a kid to eat then it is my prerogative to do so with my own money. Most of these kids around here are kids that I have either coached in Junior Pro, or have spent time mentoring them. I don't care if a kid goes to private or public school to tell you the truth. There are many kids that I have helped to get to the Ensworths, BA's, and MBA's. If a kid and a parent come to me and ask for advise, it is my role to share it with them. Yes I spend time with kids from Siegel, Blackman, Riverdale,and Oakland. The problem is that some of you have a problem with accusing someone when they try to help a kid. As for the comments earlier about Smyrna, I have never been in Mr Gills office for recruiting any kid. That's the respect that I have from many school officials and coaches around here. I can go out to eat with kids from Oakland and I bet you Coach Mac can care less. I can take kids out to eat from Smyrna and Coach Williams can care less. The same at Blackman with Coach Shad! Reason is they know what my concerns and motives are. Most of you don't! If any of you have the courage to step forward and sit down with me one on one and discuss your issues please do so and stop hiding behind the computer. That's the coward way out! To answer your last question, I have never been run off from Riverdale. Am I happy over there NO, but does it hurt me to know that I have to do what is best for me and be at a school that I am appreciated and my talents are used YES! The blessing I do have is the fact that I don't burn bridges and try to keep a open door of communication with all coaches so if the opportunity comes up then yes it is open for me. To clear the air, I will not be on the sidelines of Riverdale this fall. Yes it hurts because I have been with this senior class since they were freshman. But most of them along with their parents understand why I am making a change. A coach from here in the county that I respect a lot because we are in it for the same reason summed it up for me last night and said that you have helped so many kids and not it is time to help yourself and your career. But please if any of you that are hiding behind the computer and bashing me please come forward. I know that most of the messages are coming from one source and that source argues with himself on here under different screen names so what! My email address is byron@byrondevinnerfoundation.org and my number is 615-525-0077 so there you go I am putting it out there to stop being a coward and come to me as men because I do what I do for the kids and not for self gratification enough said!

The fact that you even care what is said on these message boards cast you in a bad light. Your position is always going to put you under scrutiny, because you associate with 1 school in particular. Why you even care what people say about you is beyond me, just let your actions speak for themselves.

I am Avery Eric Smith, Oakland C/O 2003, and no matter what, Ill always be very proud of my alma mater.

Byron, if you are who I 'think' you are then I have NO problem with you and would tell you that to your face. The only things I have been responding to is some non sense put out by some who THINK they are in the know.

As to hiding behind a screen name, mine is one of the worst kept secrets on here. As you are new on here though I will tell you I am Mike Skidmore. The 'clones' Dad. Phone number is in the book. If you are leaving I can understand the why and I do NOT blame you, and YES you will be missed at R'dale. I miss winning seasons also!

Seems to me that if you like to help players at all the schools, then you need to stay neutral and not be affliated with any program at all. That way you don't look to be"recruiting" anyone, just helping all. Just a suggestion.

Also....you really need to have a tough hide to coach, especially at a state championship level program. You are going to take hits right and left because no matter what you do or say you can't please everyone. Once you respond on a message board, you show that what folk say bothers you. Coaching is like being in politics. You have to ignore most of what is said about you or you lose focus of what is important.

I think that mcDaniels has a tough enough skin to handle what comes with winning rings. Yes, note I said RINGS......because we ARE not finished collecting hardware. We have the players, administration, and the staff to do so. We will do it with or without you at OHS. Now, if you are coming our way, welcome to the Ozone, but realize that coaching is about the kids, not your career. OHS, I am 100% behind them there. So if you are on board with us, then I am on board with you. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Why do have to be on any team's sideline? Why not just be in the stands supporting a different team each week. Why choose one team to support since you serve all the kids in Rutherford County? Why not continue camps and other work you do for kids? You are not a teacher in a school ,you are a guy who serves all yet you choose to be on one team's sideline. Does that not lend itself to a kid's decision to follow you to that school. Why not just be a mentor to all and go see all your kids play and support them all? You can't be for them all and then choose one team to be with every Friday and wearing their colors. Just coach your youth football and continue to work with all kids. That is your career.

Why do have to be on any team's sideline? Why not just be in the stands supporting a different team each week. Why choose one team to support since you serve all the kids in Rutherford County? Why not continue camps and other work you do for kids? You are not a teacher in a school ,you are a guy who serves all yet you choose to be on one team's sideline. Does that not lend itself to a kid's decision to follow you to that school. Why not just be a mentor to all and go see all your kids play and support them all? You can't be for them all and then choose one team to be with every Friday and wearing their colors. Just coach your youth football and continue to work with all kids. That is your career.

Most of the parents know why I am leaving.I guess I missed the memo on that one, because I don't have a clue, nor have I been told anything about why you will not be on the warrior sidelines this fall.I am not mad, but I will say that I will miss talking to ya after every game, and at practice.I do wish that you wouldn't have gone on this site to try and explain to people you reasoning behind your decision.It didn't look good.These people on here don't understand and some don't care.They just want to stir up stuff on here, because they enjoy very much.Well anyway, good luck and I will see ya after the game at Oakland.